What Automatic Gear?

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
wixandy

Post by wixandy »

Hi all, just getting used to the new N Line. On my 2018 Tucson, I could see what gear the auto was in on the dashboard.
On the 2023, it just shows 'D' for drive.
Id there a way of seeing the gear its in please?
N Line in Shadow Grey collected 24.03.23

Deleted User 1130

Post by Deleted User 1130 »

wixandy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:29 pm Hi all, just getting used to the new N Line. On my 2018 Tucson, I could see what gear the auto was in on the dashboard.
Two ways that I'm aware of ..... but not exactly what you want though :
1. Pull the right steering wheel paddle ... Will show you the gear and will change up if your not in top. It's not permanent though and will change back to D reasonably quickly.
2. Put the car in sport mode. Not ideal as I only use this occasionally as it does effect economy.

I haven't tried setting the right hand display to show the rev counter permanently to see if that also brings the gear display with it.
wixandy

Post by wixandy »

Hyun-day! wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:49 pm
wixandy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:29 pm Hi all, just getting used to the new N Line. On my 2018 Tucson, I could see what gear the auto was in on the dashboard.
Two ways that I'm aware of ..... but not exactly what you want though :
1. Pull the right steering wheel paddle ... Will show you the gear and will change up if your not in top. It's not permanent though and will change back to D reasonably quickly.
2. Put the car in sport mode. Not ideal as I only use this occasionally as it does effect economy.

I haven't tried setting the right hand display to show the rev counter permanently to see if that also brings the gear display with it.
That's great, many thanks. As you say, not ideal.
I have the rev counter displayed permanently and it doesn't show the gear unfortunately....
N Line in Shadow Grey collected 24.03.23
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

The gear number only shows when using the paddles to shift up/down and only temporarily.

My last car 2 autos behaved in the same way, so not unique to the Tucson.
Beards

Post by Beards »

Sorry… so if the engine is screaming through high revs (indicating the vehicle is in the wrong gear) there is no quick look on the dash to see what gear you are in?
Tucson PHEV Ultimate + Tech Pack. Amazon Grey/Moss Grey
Ordered: 10 May 2022
Estimated Delivery: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb 2022/23
Dealers: 28 Feb 2023
Pick up: 08 Mar 2023
Refused: 08 Mar 2023
New Order: 08 Mar 2023
Picked up: 18 Jan 2024
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

No. This isn't about the car being in the wrong gear, it’s about the car holding onto the gear for too long.

Using the paddles, which will then show the gear the car has moved into, seems like a solution.
Last edited by Deleted User 487 on Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

Beards wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:41 am Sorry… so if the engine is screaming through high revs (indicating the vehicle is in the wrong gear) there is no quick look on the dash to see what gear you are in?
I hit the paddle shifter to change up when the car decides to drop down a gear, hold on to it and get vocal, particularly going up hills. I chose to use the paddle as on one of my regular journeys the climb is over a mile long .... feels like I'm playing tunes with the engine. It's a 'characteristic' of the engine/box combo I'm told. Personal preference as always, but I'm not that fussed about seeing the forward gears in an auto but each to their own.
old man

Post by old man »

I could see what gear the auto was in on the dashboard.
What useful purpose did that serve and what purpose would it serve now ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Beards

Post by Beards »

old man wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:42 am
I can see where the OP is coming from OM. It is displayed on my Peugeot 3008 and was on my previous last two auto’s. As such you get used to seeing it on the dash.
To be truthful though….. I do not care what gear the engine is running along on but if it’s screaming or the rev counter is showing high I would like to know what gear it is in by simply looking, not having to press a paddle.
The 3008 auto I must admit is superb. Never have I had to shift to changing gears manually using the paddles.
Tucson PHEV Ultimate + Tech Pack. Amazon Grey/Moss Grey
Ordered: 10 May 2022
Estimated Delivery: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb 2022/23
Dealers: 28 Feb 2023
Pick up: 08 Mar 2023
Refused: 08 Mar 2023
New Order: 08 Mar 2023
Picked up: 18 Jan 2024
old man

Post by old man »

Beards wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:19 am
old man wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:42 am
I can see where the OP is coming from OM. It is displayed on my Peugeot 3008 and was on my previous last two auto’s. As such you get used to seeing it on the dash.
To be truthful though….. I do not care what gear the engine is running along on but if it’s screaming or the rev counter is showing high I would like to know what gear it is in by simply looking, not having to press a paddle.
The 3008 auto I must admit is superb. Never have I had to shift to changing gears manually using the paddles.
I can see where he's coming from as well Beards, but the fact is, the Tucson doesn't display which gear you're in unless you ask it to via the paddles. It's no big deal and I see no useful purpose in knowing what gear an automatic car is in because it's exactly that, an auto, so it sorts itself out.
It's no good wishing for what was in a previous car, the Tucson, whilst not perfect, is different and we have to adjust our driving style to suit. Overall, I preferred the DSG boxes I've had previously, but they've gone and I have to get on with this one. The gearbox holding on to a lower gear when climbing a gradient is not ideal, but once the techniques to alleviate that are mastered, I don't see it as a problem.
As for the engine screaming - slight exaggeration. Yes it gets a bit vocal, that's the nature of the 1.6 Gdi, but it's easy to stop it being vocal (yes I know it shouldn't be necessary) and I certainly don't need a sign on the dash telling me what gear I'm in to know that it's the wrong one and I need to change up, or speed up a bit or ease off the accelerator momentarily.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post