Polishing the car and Roof bars

The place to discuss everything else..
old man

Post by old man »

Not sure why I'm writing this really except to have a rant and to warn others against making the same mistake.
Firstly - my Tucson is black.
Secondly - I had some Autoglym super resin polish in the garage that I've had for some time and was originally bought to polish the two white cars we had at the time.

Whilst my Tucson was still pretty new and still had a new car lustre, I applied some Turtle Wax Graphene Flex on top of the polish the dealer had used. I used the TW because it claimed to give protection for up to a year. After about 9 months (I'm happy with that) I began to notice that it was obviously wearing off and needed redoing.
I finally got around to it this week.
Now I know that the polish the dealer used was a generic bulk product, so I thought I'd use something better to polish the car with before reapplying the TW Graphene. Now Autoglym has always had a decent reputation and as I already had some, that's what I used.
I washed the car properly and dried it off diligently to ensure there were no water marks left. It was a warm day and I coated the whole car with the Autoglym as the instructions told me I could. Buffing the polish off afterwards was not the easy job it should have been - maybe because it was a warm day. When I'd finished, there were what looked like water marks left over much of the paintwork ! I knew I'd removed them all before polishing and any amount of buffing would not remove these new ones. I ended up using another polish I had in the garage - a Turtle Wax this time. This removed the water marks and I probably had to redo about half of the car again.
Looked lovely when I'd finished, but here's the rub (scuse the pun). Autoglym is a white coloured polish and using it on a black (or any dark colour) is a bad idea because it gets into every nook and cranny which you can't then get at with a microfibre cloth, so I had to resort to using an old toothbrush to get it out, cos otherwise it stands out like a sore thumb!!
I was knackered after this and it had taken so long that it was too late in the day to apply the Graphene coating - that got done today.
It was only after I finished repolishing the car that I realised where the new watermarks had come from. I'd noticed when applying the Autoglym, but had paid it no heed, that there was what appeared to be (water?) moisture in the polish. Don't know how it got there as I'd shaken the container very well before using, but it certainly caused me a lot of extra work and I won't be using Autoglym again !!
I'm expecting comments from Daibill about this. :o

Moving on to roof bars. This not a rant, just a cautionary tale.
I'd kept the Thule roof bars and feet from my previous car, but were I to still use the Thule bars on the Tucson, I would have had to buy new Thule footpacks and fitting kit. Normal price last year was £160, but I did find some on EBay for £140. Either way, that's a lot of money for what you're getting and it had also come to light on this forum, that if Thule footpacks (and also those supplied by Hyundai themselves) are used, the sunroof (if fitted) cannot be opened as it will foul the footpacks and/or the bars and could possibly cause breakage.
I managed to source a new set of Nordrive bars and feet for just under £100 at the time, so somewhat cheaper than just the footpacks from Thule. These bars, once fitted in the correct position, do allow the sunroof to open as it should. Job's a good'un I thought.
I use (have used) roof bars to carry my 16' Canadian canoes about and I leave the bars fitted permanently. The Nordrive kit though, whilst sturdy enough, did give a small amount of wind noise and the footpack kit is not as well thought out as Thule kit. I also feel that the lip on the outer edge of the Tucson flush roof rails isn't as indented as much as previous cars I've with flush rails, thereby not giving the feet as much purchase on the rails as I feel there should be, especially for transporting canoes, under which there is tremendous wind lift. Thule kit might fit better than Nordrive, but I can't attest to that personally.
I have been doing little canoeing of late and last week, for many and varied reasons, I decided to give it up and sell all of my kit. Even before making that decision, I had removed the roof bars and discovered that the rubber/plastic material that sits between the feet and the roof rails to prevent abrasion had marked the paintwork - not seriously, but I've never seen that with Thule kit. You'd have to get close to see the marks, but I know they're there. I find it mildly annoying and I cannot remove them myself. Maybe a professional could.
Make what you will of this and maybe it will help someone, but to sum up. Nordrive kit doesn't measure up to Thule kit and will mark paintwork eventually. I wish now I'd forked out for the Thule feet even though it meant I couldn't open the sunroof, which I never use anyway !

You should be asleep by now . :P
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

ravenwest

Post by ravenwest »

I always use Porboys Black on my tucson.Although you do get a white residue in joins in the cars bodywork but I polish with a microfibres cloth which gets it out of the nooks and crannies.It also is easily cleaned from black plastic when accidently applied.Then a good polish with Aruba wax.
2020 se nav gdi.
I also have Honda VTR 1000 that I use for weekend ride outs and a KTM 250 for green laning
Al94

Post by Al94 »

I stopped using Autoglym years ago because of the white residue powder. I'm not sure about waxing the car before applying graphene wax. I have a friend who is a car detailer, recommends thorough wash, clay bar paint, degrease surface then apply graphene wax. Been using this https://www.autobead.co.uk/products/graphene-wax-cloths with excellent results.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
old man

Post by old man »

Al94 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:03 pm I stopped using Autoglym years ago because of the white residue powder. I'm not sure about waxing the car before applying graphene wax. I have a friend who is a car detailer, recommends thorough wash, clay bar paint, degrease surface then apply graphene wax. Been using this https://www.autobead.co.uk/products/graphene-wax-cloths with excellent results.

The TW Graphene I used doesn't give as good a shine as a polish, it's there to protect the polish and paintwork underneath it. Maybe it would work on it's own as your friend says, but I like the idea of having a polish applied as well.
The product you linked to is about 4 times the price of TW. :o
Al94

Post by Al94 »

old man wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:26 pm
Al94 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:03 pm I stopped using Autoglym years ago because of the white residue powder. I'm not sure about waxing the car before applying graphene wax. I have a friend who is a car detailer, recommends thorough wash, clay bar paint, degrease surface then apply graphene wax. Been using this https://www.autobead.co.uk/products/graphene-wax-cloths with excellent results.

The TW Graphene I used doesn't give as good a shine as a polish, it's there to protect the polish and paintwork underneath it. Maybe it would work on it's own as your friend says, but I like the idea of having a polish applied as well.
The product you linked to is about 4 times the price of TW. :o
I buy it when on offer, yet its expensive but it is an amazing quality graphene wax, never seen water run off like it. Car was done last August and still beads.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

Mines booked in for full detail with ceramic coating etc end of this month. Meanwhile I have been using Gyeon Ceramic Detailer & Wet Coat. Much prefer these new products rather than the old Autoglym stuff. No problems with residue and water/dirt don't stick on car. Quick and easy to use on whole car. More expensive but for me worth it in the long run and they actually spread further than you'd think.
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey
old man

Post by old man »

All good info, thanks guys.
Daibill recommended Gyeon last year when I asked about polish/wax products.

It occurs to me that I didn't put enough thought into the title of this thread, I don't actually polish the roof bars !!
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

I had my car ceramic coated a week after I picked up the car and its still looking good, as for Autoglym I have been using this polish for years but there are better products out there and give a better shine/finish and much easier to use.

I like Autoglym and their glass cleaner and their rubber and vinyl cleaner are still the best I have even bought it in 5 liter containers as trade
but as for wax I have gone to miguiars and their Meguiar's D11001 Detailer Hyper-Car Wash.

And yes old man I feel your pain its not nice slaving over a car all day and then finding imperfections .
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
petrolhead24

Post by petrolhead24 »

Morning. Newbie here.
I've a Phantom Black SE Connect mild Hybrid I've had a week.

I've been cleaning and now detailing for longer than I care to mention. My goto is Bilt Hamber's products.
However with my first black car since my 1980 MkII RS2000 Custom, I'm using this.
Koch Chemie FSE- Finish Spray Exterior 1 Litre
It works on all surfaces including glass and roof bars. I cleaned and detailed my car a day after picking it up. The dealer had done a remarkably good job but water marks the bane of any dark finish are now history with this stuff. Water beads and runs off. It's far superior to any other final coat detailing product I've used. Now two coats applied it looks stunning.
Ceramic coating a great idea and should give 12 months protection. A good snow foam and decent, non acidic wheel/iron fallout cleaner will be all that's needed .

These really are great cars, last two were Volvo's, prior to ill health a 997 c4s. Build quality easily compatible as are interior materials. I much prefer my 'truck' as my daughters haved nicknamed it. Its a pleasure to drive and I can get in and out without my back giving me serious grief. A superb design too. I look at it every time I pass it.

PH.
old man

Post by old man »

petrolhead24 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:42 am Morning. Newbie here.
I've a Phantom Black SE Connect mild Hybrid I've had a week.

I've been cleaning and now detailing for longer than I care to mention. My goto is Bilt Hamber's products.
However with my first black car since my 1980 MkII RS2000 Custom, I'm using this.
Koch Chemie FSE- Finish Spray Exterior 1 Litre
It works on all surfaces including glass and roof bars. I cleaned and detailed my car a day after picking it up. The dealer had done a remarkably good job but water marks the bane of any dark finish are now history with this stuff. Water beads and runs off. It's far superior to any other final coat detailing product I've used. Now two coats applied it looks stunning.
Ceramic coating a great idea and should give 12 months protection. A good snow foam and decent, non acidic wheel/iron fallout cleaner will be all that's needed .

These really are great cars, last two were Volvo's, prior to ill health a 997 c4s. Build quality easily compatible as are interior materials. I much prefer my 'truck' as my daughters haved nicknamed it. Its a pleasure to drive and I can get in and out without my back giving me serious grief. A superb design too. I look at it every time I pass it.

PH.
Good morning and welcome to the madhouse :D
How often to you have to apply the Koch Chemie ?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post