Glass Roof Panel Shattered

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Deleted User 620

Post by Deleted User 620 »

Hi Everyone
I have a 72 plate Tucson Ultimate, I recently had the glass panel that sits between the top of the windscreen and the leading edge of the panoramic roof shatter, it went off with a boom or sort of bang as opposed to a crack like a stone impact, we were on a dual carriageway where I was the only vehicle around so it was not the result of stone damage, neither was it a result of a falling object, there was a definite sort of crease line along the top section of the panel. I asked my local dealer to present it as a warranty claim as it there was no signs of impact damage. Hyundai agreed to this claim supplying a rental car when I asked as there were no replacement panels in the UK and I needed my vehicle for work. Full marks to my local dealer and Hyundai for repairing this under warranty, I was told this was only the second time they have had to replace this panel nationally, obviously I don't know the details of the other vehicle. I have since sold the vehicle but got another Tucson on order, a HEV this time.

Adecastr

Post by Adecastr »

AdrianG wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:04 pm Hi Everyone
I have a 72 plate Tucson Ultimate, I recently had the glass panel that sits between the top of the windscreen and the leading edge of the panoramic roof shatter, it went off with a boom or sort of bang as opposed to a crack like a stone impact, we were on a dual carriageway where I was the only vehicle around so it was not the result of stone damage, neither was it a result of a falling object, there was a definite sort of crease line along the top section of the panel. I asked my local dealer to present it as a warranty claim as it there was no signs of impact damage. Hyundai agreed to this claim supplying a rental car when I asked as there were no replacement panels in the UK and I needed my vehicle for work. Full marks to my local dealer and Hyundai for repairing this under warranty, I was told this was only the second time they have had to replace this panel nationally, obviously I don't know the details of the other vehicle. I have since sold the vehicle but got another Tucson on order, a HEV this time.

It seems that this is the other case you mentioned in the UK.

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/ ... ge.700163/
Tucson plug-in hybrid, Phantom black color, full options (bought in France).
Deleted User 620

Reading the other incidents it looks like I got away lightly, mine was the panel between the top of the windscreen and the sunroof, a glass panel approx 150mm wide running the full width of the vehicle.

1E9D578E-E9BB-4105-92CC-EE132E196F95.jpeg

joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

The only time I have seen that is because of flexing, did you have roof bars on the car?
Last edited by joolstdi on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

With a background in Fracture Mechanics..... Thats a stress fracture
old man

Post by old man »

Adrian G is known to me and so I already knew about his glass roof and it was probably that knowledge that sounded alarm bells when I recently agreed to reinsure my car with Halifax (covered in another thread) and noticed in the small print that panoramic glass roofs are NOT covered under the glass cover section, so any damage claim will come under normal bodywork damage, so an excess will have to be paid and NCB will be lost if you don't have that covered. Adrian was lucky that his damaged part was the small, least expensive section and Hyundai agreed to honour their warranty in his case.
Some quick research showed that most insurance companies don't cover a panoramic roof under glass cover, although most do seem to cover a glass sunroof. Be aware that the glass sunroof and a glass panoramic roof are completely different items and should not be confused, even though a glass sunroof is often incorporated within a glass panoramic roof.
More research revealed an opinion that LV do cover a panoramic roof under glass cover and a quick phone call to them revealed this to be the case, unless damage is caused by mechanical means e.g. if the electric motor malfunctions and causes damage. I cancelled my forthcoming cover with Halifax and reinsured with LV even though the cover was more expensive and I had to pay a fee to Halifax to cancel - bloody rip off as the cover hadn't even started !!
So on the back of my experience, I urge you all to read any terms and conditions before handing over any money to an insurance company and if damage to a panoramic roof bothers you, check to see if the glass part of the policy covers it, most don't, although you should still be covered under the normal damage cover.

Another thing I learned; if getting quotes via comparison websites make sure that the details you've entered with them transfer exactly to the insurance company you choose to use. I discovered on reading the details of the Halifax cover that some were wrong and Halifax wanted to charge me to change them even though it was the comparison website who'd made the mistake !!

Apologies for veering off topic somewhat and teaching egg sucking if you're already aware of the above.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Deleted User 620

joolstdi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 am The only time I have seen that is because of flexing, did you have roof bars on the car?
No, roof bars were not and never have been fitted to the vehicle.
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Noticed mine the same at the weekend when i washed it.
Mine does have a very small chip so i guess it was a stone collision which caused it.
£300 for the panel

IMG_20230129_142757775_HDR.jpg

My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate
Deleted User 620

Hi Dr
You have a fracture line in exactly the same place as mine was, maybe a coincidence but I would query this with your dealer as there may be a reoccurring issue.
roadster

Post by roadster »

I am not familiar with this feature but does the seam immediately behind the panel form the front of the sliding roof aperture? If it does it looks very possible that the repeated impact of the roof slamming tightly enough to seal the joint could be causing a stress fracture.
Tucson PHEV Premium

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post