Tailgate heavy

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Bern

Post by Bern »

Hi all, 1st post for me 😃.
I have a 2022 premium model without a power tailgate. I have to be honest, I wish I'd ordered a powered one now. I find the tailgate so heavy. Does anyone know if there is a retrofit or any tips for easier opening? Thanks

Berty

Post by Berty »

Yes you can get it done. Most dealers have somebody who can nearly match it to OEM. In Ireland it's about €1000 so expect in the UK it might be about £750 but somebody else will know. When I originally wanted a Tucson it wasn't an option unless I went Phev.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
roadster

Post by roadster »

I agree it is very heavy and nearly impossible to operate with one hand, painful for my old joints too. Only thing a can say is that there is no point snatching at it. The first couple of inches are slow but after that the gas struts start to reduce the load. There is a video of the conversion, a third party one I think, on youtube; but its not a simple job. Powered struts can also be unreliable in the long term.
Tucson PHEV Premium
DFinlayson

Post by DFinlayson »

I have just bought a 2022 plug in Tucson and have the same issue with the tailgate. The Hyundai dealer tells me you cant fit an aftermarket power lift but there are kits available. Any recommendations?
focusy

Post by focusy »

Resurrecting old thread to see if some has fixed this dilemma

Thanks
r0n

Post by r0n »

I've a '23 Premium and whilst the tailgate isn't lightweight I don't think its noticeably heavier than any of the estates or hatchbacks I've owned over the years , all in all I think the weight balance is right for me , not too light and not too heavy.
2023 Tucson - Premium - Petrol - Manual
Mytusontoo

Post by Mytusontoo »

If you happen to be short or a slight woman, the tailgate is heavy. If one is carrying a bag or something and it is wet on the ground, it’s not possible to open with one hand unless you are particularly strong. I think the spring mechanism should or could be adjusted to take the load when opening.
roadster

Post by roadster »

Mytusontoo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:37 pm If you happen to be short or a slight woman, the tailgate is heavy. If one is carrying a bag or something and it is wet on the ground, it’s not possible to open with one hand unless you are particularly strong. I think the spring mechanism should or could be adjusted to take the load when opening.
I am neither short, slight, or female, but unfortunately I am old! Moving the tailgate that first few inches is very awkward but would be easier if there was a proper handle that could be grasped firmly. Poor design!
Tucson PHEV Premium
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

Not that this is any help to anyone, but I've noticed on the non-European cars (which have a longer wheelbase) that there is a notch at the top in the rear bumper (see image). Looks like you unlatch the hatch from that notch and then you perhaps have better leverage (for non power assisted hatches at least) as its at the bottom of the hatch and you can get your hand in. The Euro versions don't have this ... wonder why? Perhaps its a design thing as it does look better without it ... form over function perhaps....

Screenshot_20240115_152811_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by Deleted User 1711 on Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howitis

Post by howitis »

Surely better for easier clearance when hooking up to tow.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post