Fuel Filler Flap not sitting flush

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Just noticed that Norma's 2023 model is doing it as well. It'll get sorted at her first service.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

I’ve just ordered a replacement fuel cap. I had mine ‘fixed’ at the first service but now six months later it’s worse than ever. It’s actually hard to open or close the outer flap now as there’s so much pressure from the inside.

Hopefully this will put me on until the second service.
Davy51

Post by Davy51 »

Hi this link below is a video of how you can fix it yourself if you cant be bothered going back to dealers for a fix looks straightforward enough hope this helps😆

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Davy51 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:48 am a video of how you can fix it yourself if you cant be bothered going back to dealers for a fix
Thanks for posting that video clip, ‘Davy51’.

While it’s very useful information, the fix is really something that all Hyundai dealers should be putting right as a matter of course, free of charge. I’ll take a guess and suggest that there is already a TSB available for dealers to realign the pipework as described in the footage. If they cause any damage in the course of the work, then they will need to put it right.

Customers paying £30,000 - £40,000+ for a car should not be expected to correct faults that should have been picked up before the car left the factory or while being inspected elsewhere before presentation to the purchaser.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

Indalo wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:17 am
Davy51 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:48 am a video of how you can fix it yourself if you cant be bothered going back to dealers for a fix
Customers paying £30,000 - £40,000+ for a car should not be expected to correct faults that should have been picked up before the car left the factory or while being inspected elsewhere before presentation to the purchaser.
I completely agree with Indalo. That video really is a 'hacksaw job' of a fix. If you then want a proper repair from Hyundai, I would expect them to refuse. Let Hyundai deal with it and retain your warranty. If it really bothers you, and as a temporary measure, I would replace the fuel cap as others have done/suggested.

My flap was fixed early in the life of the car and has been fine since.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Davy51 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:48 am Hi this link below is a video of how you can fix it yourself if you cant be bothered going back to dealers for a fix looks straightforward enough hope this helps😆
Thanks for posting that - very interesting.

Mine was fixed by the dealer in early December; I may remove the wheel liner and have a look to see what they did. You'd hope, by now, they'd have a new set of clamps with holes in the right place, rather than having to elongate the holes in the existing ones...

(elongated holes may not allow the clamps to grip the pipes well enough to stop them moving around as they expand & contract. It may explain why some people have had theirs 'fixed' and they've gone back to being broken!)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

I was looking a little more closely at "the fix" :-

Fuel Filler.png

It implies that the clamp/bracket affair is a fixed part of the pipe assembly. You would expect that it would be possible to unclip and re-position it :?

Failing that, I'm thinking that a couple of large self-tapping screws into the car body, would be a more robust fix than elongating the holes in the plastic clamp...
...though you'd have to grind the studs away :roll:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Oreo22

Post by Oreo22 »

The tucson nx4 model 2020 to date have an issue with there fuel filler flap ours became loose and floppy and was not fitting properly after 12 month hyundai came up with a fix and replace the whole door assembly with a new modified version fits great now.
EJH

Post by EJH »

Davy51 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:48 am Hi this link below is a video of how you can fix it yourself if you cant be bothered going back to dealers for a fix looks straightforward enough hope this helps😆

I'd be more concerned with the dent then the flush fit of the filler flap 🤔😀
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
VB32

Post by VB32 »

Hi, just booked my car in for its first service - and mentioned the fuel flap not sitting flush. My local dealer want to charge £34 to adjust the fuel flap as Hyundai don’t recognise the problem. even though it appears to be common fault. Anyone else been charged by dealer to fix this issue? Thank you

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post