Groaning noise when auto hold releases

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Nashy

Post by Nashy »

This Noise went away for a while but now started again and sounds worse

Sounds like brakes grinding (jet washed in case of grit etc)

Also a awful sound when handbrake releases, it was a groaning noise when first occurred now i get a groan and a more clunky sound

Anyone else having this (it is a bit sporadic and happens on incline and flat surface)
TUCSON, PHEV Ultimate in Black
Ordered 21/02/2022
Arrived Tilbury Docks 06/09/2022
Arrived Dealers 19/10/2022
Delivered 07/11/2022 had 8 miles on clock

Philr

Post by Philr »

Anyone know if the handbrake uses the pads/discs on the rear or does it use a small drum with shoes arrangement like BMW, Suzuki and probably others?
If it uses the pads I'd say the clunky sound is just them unsticking. When the weather is damp and cold there is a greater chance of the pads literally sticking to the discs. On a Lotus I had all 4 would stick and that was without using teh handbrake. Had to give a right bootfull to unstick sometimes.
You could try cooling the discs before parking up by driving the last few hundred metres without using the brakes at all except to come to a final rest and then as gently as possible.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
Nashy

Post by Nashy »

Philr wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:53 pm Anyone know if the handbrake uses the pads/discs on the rear or does it use a small drum with shoes arrangement like BMW, Suzuki and probably others?
If it uses the pads I'd say the clunky sound is just them unsticking. When the weather is damp and cold there is a greater chance of the pads literally sticking to the discs. On a Lotus I had all 4 would stick and that was without using teh handbrake. Had to give a right bootfull to unstick sometimes.
You could try cooling the discs before parking up by driving the last few hundred metres without using the brakes at all except to come to a final rest and then as gently as possible.
It mist be weather related i guess for sure, pads sticking to discs is a really good point actually,
TUCSON, PHEV Ultimate in Black
Ordered 21/02/2022
Arrived Tilbury Docks 06/09/2022
Arrived Dealers 19/10/2022
Delivered 07/11/2022 had 8 miles on clock
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

I have the hybrid if I put it in reverse with auto hold on it will not move ? I just turn off auto hold and ok.
I think parking brake is rears only, if wet/raining or after cleaning if I park up overnight in the morning the rear brakes stick you feel it as you try to accelerate a little bang as they release and a little grinding sound as the discs clear the lite rust off then ok.
On my old car was manual with EPB as soon as I turned off the engine and removed the key EPB would apply automatically.
My Tucson being auto it doesn't do that, I can put it in park leave EPB off turn off engine and EPB stays off, so if it has been raining or I have washed the car I always leave in park, EPB off and no sticking brakes when I next use the car, I always reverse into my parking spot so cannot say if reversing causes an issue after getting wet.
I don't know if manual Tucson is like my old car turn it off and EPB on to save it rolling away
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

In the manual it says the following about Autohold.

I personally wouldn't leave my car without the parking brake applied. P only locks the transmission and I dare say with a fair push you could at the very least rock the car. Obviously it's a personal call, but the manual again warns about it.

20230113_165646.jpg

20230113_165734.jpg

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Also, autohold will release in reverse if you have the seatbelt on, I think. [But I could be wrong]
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
mork23

Post by mork23 »

This is something I've grown to live with on my HEV. I reverse every day on to my drive and with or without autohold makes no difference - the groaning always as the electronic park brake releases.

This also occurs if I'm creeping - i.e. finding a gap on a roundabout. Equally irritating but not a show stopper - will just ask the dealer to check at first service (7k so far).

Note - definitely only a groaning noise from my vehicle, no grind and parking brake always engages when I select park with the slight 'rock' after. I only manually engage the parking brake when stationary for periods (i.e traffic lights).
Ultimate HEV in Dark Teal
terryp

Post by terryp »

mork23 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:55 pm I only manually engage the parking brake when stationary for periods (i.e traffic lights).
I don't engage the EPB when I come to a halt as the action causes the DRLs to go out. This seems to imply that the EPB is not meant to be used in this way.
It also must be confusing for other road users.
I only engage it when I'm actually parking the vehicle.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
mork23

Post by mork23 »

terryp wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:41 pm
mork23 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:55 pm I only manually engage the parking brake when stationary for periods (i.e traffic lights).
I don't engage the EPB when I come to a halt as the action causes the DRLs to go out. This seems to imply that the EPB is not meant to be used in this way.
Well there you go, I never knew that! Not sure why this would cause a problem though, if I'm sat on a slope waiting for lights I'd just rather use the EPB.
Ultimate HEV in Dark Teal
Philr

Post by Philr »

mork23 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:29 am
terryp wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:41 pm
Well there you go, I never knew that! Not sure why this would cause a problem though, if I'm sat on a slope waiting for lights I'd just rather use the EPB.
Isn't that what autohold is for?
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post