Hello

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
vdumitrescu

Post by vdumitrescu »

Hello from Ireland!

We've just ordered a new Tucson Executive Plus HEV Automatic with Smart Tailgate. Dealer was a bit coy about delivery date, he said it would be Q1 2023.
When we test drove the car, I was unpleasantly surprised by the way Auto Hold works or rather doesn't work unless you know to turn it on before you take off. I've found out later how it's supposed to be done, and that it must be turned on every time you start driving.
When I finished the drive, I put the car into Park, and when I stopped the engine and took my pedal off the brake, it moved a bit down the slope it was parked on. Another shocker, since I was used to the VW Tiguan's automatically engaging the EPB when the car is put into Park.

We've had five Tiguans in the last 11+ years, last two with DSG automatic gearboxes, so we got a few habits that we will have to break with the Tucson.

And now one question: can anyone confirm this thing I read in the Tucson manual?
EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) may be automatically applied when:
* Requested by other systems
* The driver turns the vehicle off while Auto Hold is operating.
If true, that second part there would simplify the transition a bit for us. Assuming that we will always set Auto Hold before we drive off, then EPB would be engaged automatically at the end of the drive?

Thanks!

old man

Post by old man »

Unless Hyundai have changed their model designations this year, we do not get an Executive Plus over here.

We came from three VAG cars prior to the Tucson so things were a little different and my habits when entering the car had to change a tad.

The answer to your questions is yes.

For myself, being somewhat old school and whilst I like some of the electronic gadgetry whilst it's working okay, every time I get in the car and turn on the ignition (plug in your seat belt before turning on ignition to avoid the annoying bongs), I press button to engage Auto Hold and disable Lane Assist via buttons on steering wheel, which takes all of 3 seconds.
When getting out of the car before turning off ignition ( and this is because I don't trust electronics to work all of the time), I press the Park button, then I engage the EPB, then turn off ignition.
A message will flash up on the dash telling you that the EPB engaged automatically - I don't care as I like to do it myself. Again, another 3 secs out of your daily routine :D

In the last 10 years, 5 of our cars have been VAG - 4 Skodas + 1 recent VW Golf. So whilst not entrenched in VAG products as much as you, I do find the Tucson systems more intuitive than recent VAG offerings, especially the Golf. This might be due to the way my brain is wired, but I doub't you'll have much trouble picking it all up.
Last edited by old man on Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

Welcome. Your model designations are different from ours plus you seem to have more engine and trim options. I visited a Hyundai dealer whilst in Dublin a while back.

Anyways ... The EPB does indeed engage when you have Autohold on.

If you don't have Autohold on and you park on a sufficient Incline, the EPB will also auto engage.
terryp

Post by terryp »

Just like OM, despite having had my car for over 9 months, I go through a regular routine as I still have a slight distrust that everything will work as it should.
I have to reverse out of my drive (for reasons I won't bore you with here) so I find its better not to engage Auto Hold until I'm on the road and ready to drive off.
I go through a mental check list (start car, keep foot on brake, engage "R", release EPB, take foot off brake) and I'm still pleasantly surprised to find the car starting to move in my desired direction. Despite having driven automatics for many years, this one seems different somehow. "Management" compares it to the Starship Enterprise and I think that's the issue here.
Personally I think that Auto Hold is a great help and once I'm out and about I find I use it all the time (although I still glance down to make sure the sign has gone to green)
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!