Catastrophic Engine Failure & Warranty Claim

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Dubz

Post by Dubz »

Have you suffered a catatrophic engine failue ?

Have you been told of the problem with your engine ?

Were you informed when the spare part/s would arrive in stock ?

Are you still waiting for your vehicle to be returned to you following repair from a Hyundai dealership ?

Were you told "Korea have no delivery date for these spare parts" ?

Are you having trouble getting any sensible information at>>>>>> Customer.querry@hyundai.co.uk ?

We are having to turn to these forums to get a better understanding if this is just an isolated issue we are currently facing or are you another victim of Hyundai's unreasonable wait times and it's warranty farce?

Looking forward to debating this topic with you all ...........

Dubz
2020 Hyundai Tucson N-Line. MHEV CRDI2WD SA.

Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

My brothers neighbour has a similar model to yours and has just got it back after major engine problems. She ended up in an MG courtesy car for 'at least' 3 months while it was sorted out. She now wants an MG apparently!
Dubz

Post by Dubz »

Hello IngerzSH,

Thats is interesting. I now understand after speaking with the dearlershi again there is a supply issue with parts comming from Korea. But there was a list of vehicles (Tucsons mild Hybrids) awaiting the same fault fault fix. I am surprised Hyundai have not issed a recall for this model vehicle.

I am certain there are many more customers with this issue, but for what ever reason are either not on this forum or not as vocal about it.
Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

I have been without my car for 3 weeks now and was told it might be Feb 23 before I get it back. The issue apparently relates to Crankshaft pulley on the mild Hybrid which isn't up to the job with electric motor as an addition on the 1.6 diesel. Absolute nightmare trying to get sense out of Hyundai UK who don't seem to want to help in any way. I don't know where I stand having financed the car on PCP, but seems completely unreasonable to be paying for a car that if returned in Feb will have been of the road 4 months!!! It is a 2020 Tuscon N Line mild Hybrid, of anyone has similar issues. 17k on the clock.
Dubz

Post by Dubz »

IngerzSH wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:14 am My brothers neighbour has a similar model to yours and has just got it back after major engine problems. She ended up in an MG courtesy car for 'at least' 3 months while it was sorted out. She now wants an MG apparently!
We have been in a courtesy car for over seven months, with no date offered as to when we will get our (only 10k miles) vehicle back.
Dubz

Post by Dubz »

Dubz wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:07 pm Hello IngerzSH,

Thats is interesting. I now understand after speaking with the dearlershi again there is a supply issue with parts comming from Korea. But there was a list of vehicles (Tucsons mild Hybrids) awaiting the same fault fault fix. I am surprised Hyundai have not issed a recall for this model vehicle.

I am certain there are many more customers with this issue, but for what ever reason are either not on this forum or not as vocal about it.
I agree, I believe this is much bigger than this forum has highlighted. :shock: I have it on good authority (Hyindai Dealership Mechanic) than the same Hybrid engine is used in two of Kia Models too. and kia has "a much larger issue with engine failure warranty claims" It seems Hyundai are just keeping the lid on this and the UK Motor Ombudsman have been extremely slow on the uptake. By thier own admission can take a MINIMUM of SIX MONTHS to investigate !!! well excuse me Mr Consumer, some people dont even have six months to live let alon wait for Hyundai to acknowledge there is an issue with the fundamental design of one of their engines !!! :o
Dubz

Post by Dubz »

Biggsy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:12 am I have been without my car for 3 weeks now and was told it might be Feb 23 before I get it back. The issue apparently relates to Crankshaft pulley on the mild Hybrid which isn't up to the job with electric motor as an addition on the 1.6 diesel. Absolute nightmare trying to get sense out of Hyundai UK who don't seem to want to help in any way. I don't know where I stand having financed the car on PCP, but seems completely unreasonable to be paying for a car that if returned in Feb will have been of the road 4 months!!! It is a 2020 Tuscon N Line mild Hybrid, of anyone has similar issues. 17k on the clock.
@Biggsy......I strongly urge you to lodged a complaint with your Car Finance company, as well as the UK car Ombudsman. From what you have described you are in EXACTLY the same boat as myself.
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

An engine warning light cam on my 30 month old Tucson mild hybrid with 18k miles. I am told there is a problem with the crankshaft because of a problem with the Fan belt Tensioners. However the main dealer won't fix this due to the previous owner not using the Hyundai dealership to service the car. I had the car serviced at the main dealer 3 months ago and they did not spot any problems. There is obviously a big problem with these engines, do I have any valid claim to get this car repaired?
MiloBlue

Post by MiloBlue »

Can I ask if anyone had any success with claiming anything back off of Hyundai? Customer service has been awful. 21 plate and 20k miles and there is an issue with the tensioner but also another issue and the part won’t be in until mid September! Finally got a courtesy car after 2 weeks of being promised one (had to spend £800 on private hire as we only have the one car). Only one of us can go on the courtesy car or it’s an extra charge of £6 per day! The dealers are being so unhelpful, Hyundai customer service passed me to Hyundai finance who said they couldn’t help as the car was over 6 months old! Is my best next option the motor ombudsman?
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

See: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... 9Wy1X9cEeN

Don't forget there are two aspects to this: the (seemingly breached) contract with Hyundai and the consumer law that makes sellers (ie the dealer) responsible for the defective products they sell. If nothing else, it may focus the dealer's mind, if they think you'll be gunning for them, if Hyundai doesn't help.

The nearest I've come to this, was a nearly new Ford Probe (25 years ago), for which I had a 3rd party warranty (car manufacturers only gave one year back then). I made a claim and the warranty company rejected it out of hand. My local Trading Standards guided me through the process of seeking redress - which started with getting an independent motor engineer's report. Ultimately, we were heading for the Small Claims court - but they backed-down at the 11th hour! I've never actually made it to the Small Claims Court, but by all accounts, it's a fairly low key affair: a few of you sat round a table. It's not the starting point though: you need to be able to show you've been reasonable in your actions.

Citizen's Advice Bureau are worth a shot (though I've no personal experience). Also, you may have some Legal Assistance with your house or car insurance.

To my mind, claims for failures seem very clear cut - if the agreement (or consumer law) says it should be covered and they refuse to pay, then it's off to court to have it enforced. What I'm less clear about, is when you're without your vehicle for months, i.e. consequential loss.

Exercise caution around ombudsmen: you don't have to accept their 'rulings'. Of course, should they 'rule' in your favour, it's a different matter ;)

You will need to be persistent!
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post