Dash cam fitting, wiring from rear mirror

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Lonegun

Post by Lonegun »

https://youtu.be/vaE0iDz2hZw

this video seems to have a better way of installing tidy, im going to be putting my camera in as soon as I pick the car up on Tuesday.
23 Plate PHEV Ultimate Dark Teal,Black Interior
Ordered 22/08/2022
Collected 07/03/2023

projectff

Post by projectff »

Just bought the dongar adapter cable from Amazon US, cheaper with import fees and shipping than UK site by almost £15. Now just to wait on the car!
Lonegun

Post by Lonegun »

projectff wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:46 pm Just bought the dongar adapter cable from Amazon US, cheaper with import fees and shipping than UK site by almost £15. Now just to wait on the car!
ordered mine last week and took about 4 days to arrive.
23 Plate PHEV Ultimate Dark Teal,Black Interior
Ordered 22/08/2022
Collected 07/03/2023
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

Putting the camera sticky pad on the black dots will eliminate the sticky pad coming lose in very high temperatures.
But it has a down side depends on what size camera you have as you will see a very little bit of the black cover
for the camera near the mirror, I don't mind as its a very little bit for my next base 520.

And as per previous post it dissipates heat.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
Lawman

Post by Lawman »

Thanks joolstdi
Fitted my Nextbase 422 with plug-in rear camera this morning. I do see a little bit of the black cover near the mirror, but as you say, not an issue.
Video posts and instructions from all you folk on this post were great at encouraging me to have a go at fitting myself. Everything working and recording well thus far!
2022 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) 230ps Ultimate: UK
Dark Knight Moss Grey interior.
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

It was a little fiddly in putting the plugs and wires behind the black cover and that took the most time but it works great
funny that Halfords have not invested time and money in this as it would save a lot of time in fitting the cameras.

Im glad Lawman that you fitted your camera from using this post.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
Disabled Daz

Post by Disabled Daz »

Hi, new member here. Thanks for accepting me.

My 522GW with rear window mount wasn’t that hard to wire in.
Pictures are of the front camera stuck to rear mirror surround , since my car is less than 1 month old a little tip for new owners; use a alcohol wipe where you intend to stick the front camera! Mine fell off twice till I realised that the plastic surround had a polish film over it. Probably to keep it looking newer for longer. My power for the front camera is tucked up under the roof lining at the front, then down the A pillar to the fuse area. I then found a route to the main front lighter socket.
The rear camera plugs into the front camera, so that’s tucked up in the roof lining and I just pulled the door rubbers down and there is a nice hat to hide the wiring between the body and roof lining.
This cable then comes out the roof lining at the rear Centre of roof lining and by removing the centre upper tailgate trim I used the existing grommet to thread the rear wire into it and it appears smack bang at the top of the tailgate. From there I mounted the rear camera to the Centre section of the rear window. Note of cation though. Don’t mount your rear camera on the black Centre section that you removed. This is due to the rear wiper not cleaning that actual screen. It needs to be an inch or so lower than the top of the glass or you will forever be cleaning that bit of window to allow good footage from the rear. Hope it helps someone. 👍

IMG_4931.jpeg

IMG_4930.jpeg

XADE

Post by XADE »

Disabled Daz wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:43 pm Hi, new member here. Thanks for accepting me.

My 522GW with rear window mount wasn’t that hard to wire in.
Pictures are of the front camera stuck to rear mirror surround , since my car is less than 1 month old a little tip for new owners; use a alcohol wipe where you intend to stick the front camera! Mine fell off twice till I realised that the plastic surround had a polish film over it. Probably to keep it looking newer for longer. My power for the front camera is tucked up under the roof lining at the front, then down the A pillar to the fuse area. I then found a route to the main front lighter socket.
The rear camera plugs into the front camera, so that’s tucked up in the roof lining and I just pulled the door rubbers down and there is a nice hat to hide the wiring between the body and roof lining.
This cable then comes out the roof lining at the rear Centre of roof lining and by removing the centre upper tailgate trim I used the existing grommet to thread the rear wire into it and it appears smack bang at the top of the tailgate. From there I mounted the rear camera to the Centre section of the rear window. Note of cation though. Don’t mount your rear camera on the black Centre section that you removed. This is due to the rear wiper not cleaning that actual screen. It needs to be an inch or so lower than the top of the glass or you will forever be cleaning that bit of window to allow good footage from the rear. Hope it helps someone. 👍

IMG_4931.jpeg

IMG_4930.jpeg
Looks like you've done a cracking job with that.

Had you looked into the Dongar cable though? You can tap straight into the rear view mirror to power a dashcam, so no need to run cables around the car etc. https://dongar.tech/collections/adapters

This is still on my to do list, maybe when winter comes..
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Keith1956

Post by Keith1956 »

Cut the middle man out and go to the manufacturer in America, they ship to the uk, so much cheaper.
alwest@sky.com

Post by alwest@sky.com »

Hi Keith1956,

Can you give me the address/website that you used please.

Thanks Al

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post