Dash cam fitting, wiring from rear mirror

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
rando29

Post by rando29 »

I already have a Nextbase 522gw Dashcam from my previous car and like the idea of this Dongar kit but would not have the confidence to fit it myself .
Does anyone know someone in the Leicestershire area that would fit this for me (obviously i will pay!)
My local dealer said they wouldn't do it.
Tuscon Ultimate with Tech Pack 2022 - Sunset Red

joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

plenty of videos on YouTube please look at my links in the front of this thread ,the leads that come with it are too long so order a shorter lead off amazon,

turn mirror down get yourself a small tool with a hook and get the small plastic trim off
unplug the lead and re attach the dongle it will only go in one way
it is tight to hid the short cable and this is was a pain and took 5 mins but it can be done
put trim back on put cable in to the next base and that's it.

I have a rear camera with my next base 520 but I did not install it.

Top tip be careful on where you attach it try and get as much as you can onto the black dots as when it gets warm it will not peal off in the heat and point your camera as it will show the plastic case around the mirror camera.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
rando29

Post by rando29 »

joolstdi - thanks for the reply.
Would 15cm cable be enough - MainCore 15cm Long Gold Plated USB to Mini USB Cable for Car GPS(Sat Nav), Digital Cameras, MP3 players, Voice Recorders, Musical Instruments, Car Video Recorders Support Charging and Data Transfer
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

That’s about what the kit comes with and it would be quite hard to stuff the cable in the plastic cover, the headliner was stuck or screwed so it would not fit in there.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

rando29 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:54 pm joolstdi - thanks for the reply.
Would 15cm cable be enough - MainCore 15cm Long Gold Plated USB to Mini USB Cable for Car GPS(Sat Nav), Digital Cameras, MP3 players, Voice Recorders, Musical Instruments, Car Video Recorders Support Charging and Data Transfer
I used 10cm and agree with joolstdi about sticking it on the black dots. I tried the plastic trim initially but it eventually fell off. I have also wired up a cheap rear view camera using the 12v socket and managed to tuck the wiring under the rubber seal around the glass.
1.6 TGDi Plug-in Hybrid Ultimate 5dr 4WD Dark Knight Grey
rando29

Post by rando29 »

Yorkie - can you point me in the direction of the 10cm cable you purchased as cannot seem to find any that short . Thanks.
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

rando29 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:25 pm Yorkie - can you point me in the direction of the 10cm cable you purchased as cannot seem to find any that short . Thanks.
It was this one but it's not available by the looks of things at the minute. I can't remember why I got one with both ends being 90 degrees. :?: I would think it's mainly the micro usb end that needs to be for a tidier finish.

This seems the same albeit more expensive.

It's prime so could be returned if it's not up to the job.
1.6 TGDi Plug-in Hybrid Ultimate 5dr 4WD Dark Knight Grey
Lawman

Post by Lawman »

Hi, have been following the posts about fitting a dash cam using the Dongar adapter and my Nextbase 422GW (with clip-on rear view module).
I now have all items (including the car -Ultimate HEV in Dark Knight) and am ready to give it a go.

I have a question regarding where to place the mount/camera on the front windscreen?
Are you legally allowed to site the dashcam under (or to the upper right of) the rear view mirror - impacting the driver's field of vision?
Joolstdi also suggested that the mount be placed on the black dots of the windscreen. What are these black dots for and does placing the dashcam interfere with any car function?
Thanks for any advice / cautions
Lawman
2022 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) 230ps Ultimate: UK
Dark Knight Moss Grey interior.
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

Lawman wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:00 pm Hi, have been following the posts about fitting a dash cam using the Dongar adapter and my Nextbase 422GW (with clip-on rear view module).
I now have all items (including the car -Ultimate HEV in Dark Knight) and am ready to give it a go.

I have a question regarding where to place the mount/camera on the front windscreen?
Are you legally allowed to site the dashcam under (or to the upper right of) the rear view mirror - impacting the driver's field of vision?
Joolstdi also suggested that the mount be placed on the black dots of the windscreen. What are these black dots for and does placing the dashcam interfere with any car function?
Thanks for any advice / cautions
Lawman
Can't help you with most of it but the black dots are for heat dispersion from the outer rim of the windscreen into the windscreen itself.
Because the outer rim is black and will absorb heat in the sun they needed a way to disperse the heat to stop any warping and potential cracking.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
Lawman

Post by Lawman »

Thanks Unimatrix, I would have never guessed that.
2022 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) 230ps Ultimate: UK
Dark Knight Moss Grey interior.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post