Dash cam fitting, wiring from rear mirror

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Disabled Daz

Post by Disabled Daz »

I was going to use the donger behind the mirror but I’ve converted the cig lighter, back and front to run on permanent 12v so I can utilise the park protection of the dash cams and also to power the cool box . I’ve wired a voltage monitor to the fuse’s so once the coolbox drains the starting battery to 12Volts it will automatically turn off the voltage going to the lighter sockets and still enable me to start the car. 👍

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel »

I don’t come on here that much - perhaps I should more often as I’ve been wanting to get a dashcam but didn’t want to hard-wire myself or have cables dangling. Halfords wouldn’t fit to a hybrid and the Hyundai dealer wanted extortionate money to fit a Nextbase 322GW (the only model they offer) which I’m sure is fine but hardly up to date. So I ordered one of these direct from Dongar (£43 inc postage) and it arrived in about a week! It also came with 3 cables - micro, mini B and C - and a fitting tool so I was very impressed.

I have now ordered a Nextbase 522GW with rear cam from Amazon which should turn up tomorrow. Looking at the YouTube videos it all looks very easy to fit so will do it tomorrow.
2021 TGDi Hybrid 230 Premium
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Dark Angel wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:00 pm So I ordered one of these direct from Dongar (£43 inc postage) and it arrived in about a week! It also came with 3 cables - micro, mini B and C - and a fitting tool so I was very impressed.

I have now ordered a Nextbase 522GW with rear cam from Amazon which should turn up tomorrow.
This concept (of powering the dashcam from the mirror) was a new one on me. When I looked into it, I decided it would obscure my vision positioned there. I have the older Nextbase 512GW and decided people must all be using much smaller units, with no screen. I'll be interested to see how you get on.

As for the "Dongar", I set my budget at £2.49 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254490668546 :)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Big S

Post by Big S »

I bet that will look nice ty wrapped to the rear view mirror. Ha Ha !!!!!!!
Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel »

@philhornby The dash cam can be placed wherever you want it to be as you would do with any other power source. The Dongar kit piggy backs off the power lead for the auto-dimming function of the rear view mirror but the only thing you see is the power lead coming down from the roof lining as you would with any hard wiring kit. I’ll try to upload a photo or two tomorrow.

Not sure what that eBay link is for so beyond my electronic capability whereas the Dongar kit is a really easy fit and can be done by anyone - even me 😉
Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel »

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

Couple of photos showing my driving position view, the position of the camera and Dongar wiring kit installed.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

I think I tried that position, but you can't see the GPS Speedo 'screen saver', which I make use of.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
NewMrP

Post by NewMrP »

Out of interest, especially as most people seem to be using nextbase equipment, has anyone tried ordering a dashcam direct from nextbase’s website and including the option for professional fitting? It says fitting is done by their partner RS Connect and that company’s website says they are EV trained so presumably would work on hybrids, unlike Halfords? At a cost of £99 for a professional fit it seems a pretty good deal when taken net of the £30 + for the dongar kit…? Any thoughts/ experience?
2023 Ultimate PHEV
Dark Teal
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

My dongle connection still works great and I have had no problems after installing it over a year ago. ( I started this thread)
it still work as it should and I have a next base front and rear camera.

Hardest part is hiding the excess wire and I ordered a shorter one.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

I've got the nextbase and I ran the cable behind the ceiling, down the inside rubber of the window and door, under the floor mat and then round to the centre plug. Took me about 10 minutes and you can't see any wires. So, there's no question of invalidating any warranty by plugging in where it shoudn't.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post