Petrol particulate filter

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Big S

Post by Big S »

Of course they got in it and turned it on. It had to be driven from the car park onto the 4 post ramp for its oil change. Probably didn't fix it because CCD said "If It would cost me then I'd sort it myself." As the light came on during the trip to have it serviced Arnold Clark ( however good or bad they are ) had no prior notice of it so hadn't allotted time in the Mechanics schedule to fix it.

XADE

Post by XADE »

Big S wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:07 am Of course they got in it and turned it on. It had to be driven from the car park onto the 4 post ramp for its oil change. Probably didn't fix it because CCD said "If It would cost me then I'd sort it myself." As the light came on during the trip to have it serviced Arnold Clark ( however good or bad they are ) had no prior notice of it so hadn't allotted time in the Mechanics schedule to fix it.
Rightly or wrongly, I got told this too. They couldn't look at extra things during my service, because they were completely booked up. They can't be expected to add an hour's work on and push someone else's car to the next day or similar.

Just book it in and get them to resolve under warranty.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
XADE

Post by XADE »

Had this again from Saturday, lasted a whole 2 months!

I'm down to 18 minutes to clear it now. :roll:
TheCuldene1

Post by TheCuldene1 »

Hi lollipop did you ever get the ppf warning light to go off
We,are having the self same problem with ours
The dealers have told us to drive it in 3rd gear and 4000 rpm down the motorway which surly is dangerous in its self and if it doest go off then its down to us to pay up £140 a time to have it taken off
Ours is a hyundai tuscan with only 5000 on the clock just wondering how many other poor folk have had the misfortune of buying a hyundai
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

TheCuldene1 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:51 pm Hi lollipop did you ever get the ppf warning light to go off
We,are having the self same problem with ours
The dealers have told us to drive it in 3rd gear and 4000 rpm down the motorway which surly is dangerous in its self and if it doest go off then its down to us to pay up £140 a time to have it taken off
Ours is a hyundai tuscan with only 5000 on the clock just wondering how many other poor folk have had the misfortune of buying a hyundai
If you haven't already, you should read this whole topic and pay particular attention to what Xade has to say on the subject as he's had his fair share of GPF warnings and seems to have a handle on how to get rid of them.
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

just wondering how many other poor folk have had the misfortune of buying a hyundai

Hyundai (and KIA) are perfectly OK cars providing a good level of tech at each price point. As such, they have increased their worldwide market share hugely over the last 25 years or so and are now a mainstream brand here in the UK, but with a far better warranty!

While it’s true that there is currently an unfortunate and as yet unresolved problem with the PPF in some models, the issue is manageable if the correct procedure is followed, annoying as it may be. The method has been widely broadcast on social media and is not the same as that used to extinguish the DPF warning light in diesel models. Sadly, many armchair mechanics have been recommending the same methodology as used for diesel engined-cars and that is wholly incorrect, not to mention wasteful.

A little research will provide you with the correct procedure in order to avoid visiting your Hyundai dealer for a forced regeneration. It really isn’t difficult but it’s all we have until Hyundai/KIA provide a proper solution.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

It really isn’t difficult but it’s all we have until Hyundai/KIA provide a proper solution.
I wonder if it will have been addressed for the imminent facelift model ??
XADE

Post by XADE »

pharaoh wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:58 pm
It really isn’t difficult but it’s all we have until Hyundai/KIA provide a proper solution.
I wonder if it will have been addressed for the imminent facelift model ??
I am still unsure if Hyundai have pushed out a fix for the current model, and would apply it at my next service? I will have to ask, although its 5months away.

Agreed with all the above too, it IS annoying, and would have been a lot worse had it meant taking it for a regeneration every time at a dealership, and possibly arguing the toss about if it's under warranty. My first regen was, since then I've done it myself 2-3 times in 18months of ownership.

Mine definitely comes on if I don't do longer journeys, unfortunately with traffic on my commute and kids/rain/snow combination means it's unavoidable.

I did end up buying an ODB scanner to read fault codes, and take readings. But the only thing I could really find in regards to the 'PPF' was how many miles the car had done since it regenerated. Not very useful, but I am no expert.

Admins seem relunctant to clear up these posts (lots of threads now with differing info), so wil post this again:

CLEAR PPF / EXHAUST WARNING

This works for me every time:

Warm up car and drive normal for 10mins at least, avoiding stop/starting and any traffic
Select 3rd gear, and keep revs between 2500-4000, use sport mode if available
Keep speed between 40mph and 60-mph
Speed up to 50-60mh / 4000 revs, then off the accelerator for 5 seconds.
Rinse repear until clear.

P.s. I drove up and down the motorway for 45mins in 3rd/4th gear (old advice) and it did nothing.
Last edited by XADE on Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baconrind

Post by Baconrind »

Mine just came back after 4th time in the dealership. Basically, no fix is available, its because I drive low distances.

The dealer was excellent apologised and recommended I report not fit for purpose to the finance company and get the ombusman involved if can't be resolved.

He had 4 Tuscons in the same week with the same issue.

He did give me a copy of a new instruction in the engineering notes on clearing which i belive same as previously posted.

When light illuminates to activate regen (speed > 50mph)
3rd gear or higher with rpm 2500-4000 drive over 50mph and in 3rd gear accelerate to 4000 rpm then release accelerator... Wait 5 then accelerate to 4000 rpm , rinse and repeat. If DCT make sure in sport mode.

If doesn't clear in 30 mins take in to the workshop..

Who makes a car you can only use on long journeys...
XADE

Post by XADE »

Baconrind wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:03 pm Mine just came back after 4th time in the dealership. Basically, no fix is available, its because I drive low distances.

The dealer was excellent apologised and recommended I report not fit for purpose to the finance company and get the ombusman involved if can't be resolved.

He had 4 Tuscons in the same week with the same issue.

He did give me a copy of a new instruction in the engineering notes on clearing which i belive same as previously posted.

When light illuminates to activate regen (speed > 50mph)
3rd gear or higher with rpm 2500-4000 drive over 50mph and in 3rd gear accelerate to 4000 rpm then release accelerator... Wait 5 then accelerate to 4000 rpm , rinse and repeat. If DCT make sure in sport mode.

If doesn't clear in 30 mins take in to the workshop..

Who makes a car you can only use on long journeys...
This is exactly my experience too, I don't think it helps that I coast and avoid engine braking either. Such a shame there's no fix, I had heard they were going to extend the parameters of the warning.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post