Tow bar fitment for 2022 Tucson N Line S hybrid 230bhp

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Al94

Post by Al94 »

You should always remove a removable tow bar when not in use. A tow bar will protect you in very low speed collisions, but will cause considerably more damage to the car (and the occupants) in a higher speed collision because the force is transferred straight onto the chassis, bypassing the crumple zones.

A moderate speed collision that would normally only require a new bumper can write off a car with a tow bar fitted because it will bend the chassis. Bypassing the crumple zones is obviously not great for passenger safety either.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto

old man

Post by old man »

Al94 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:13 pm You should always remove a removable tow bar when not in use. A tow bar will protect you in very low speed collisions, but will cause considerably more damage to the car (and the occupants) in a higher speed collision because the force is transferred straight onto the chassis, bypassing the crumple zones.

A moderate speed collision that would normally only require a new bumper can write off a car with a tow bar fitted because it will bend the chassis. Bypassing the crumple zones is obviously not great for passenger safety either.
Agreed and the instructions for this bar do state that it should be removed when not being used. The bar on the previous car was in use much more than this one will be and getting down on hands and knees to fit/remove was a pain, especially in muddy/wet fields. This one is easier to fit/remove than that one and will come off when I'm not using it.
I thought that having the hitch in permanently would encourage tailenders to keep their distance, but nowadays drivers are so intent on using their phones or the infotainment systems, I doubt they even see my towbar. 🙄
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

If they run in to the back of me hard enough to bend the chassis, then the crumple zones wouldn't stop it anyway. No, it's the slow speed reversing into me that I want to stop - or at least get some payback on their car!
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post