Spare Wheel ?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
EJH

Post by EJH »

old man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:45 pm A spare wheel is only an accessory if you are using it on an axle as a wheel. Whilst in the boot it's just carriage same as the coal.
Thanks for that.
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:

Deleted User 1130

Post by Deleted User 1130 »

EJH wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:37 pm
old man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:45 pm A spare wheel is only an accessory if you are using it on an axle as a wheel. Whilst in the boot it's just carriage same as the coal.
Thanks for that.
If it's indeed an accessory, and let's say not original hyundai wheel, what happens if you crash with it 'in-use' on the car?
old man

Post by old man »

Hyun-day! wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:14 pm
Thanks for that.
If it's indeed an accessory, and let's say not original hyundai wheel, what happens if you crash with it 'in-use' on the car?
Nothing as long as it complies with the law. There is no rule or law that says a spare wheel and tyre must be supplied by Hyundai.
Same when replacing worn tyres, you don't have to the same make fitted as came with the car.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Deleted User 1130

Post by Deleted User 1130 »

old man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:01 pm

Thanks for that.
Nothing as long as it complies with the law. There is no rule or law that says a spare wheel and tyre must be supplied by Hyundai.
Same when replacing worn tyres, you don't have to the same make fitted as came with the car.
I was more thinking from an insurance perspective old man. As there is no spare option from factory then any wheel fitted that was non OEM? may be classed as a modification in the unfortunate event of an accident. So my question should be perhaps... do you need to declare your spare wheel to be insurance compliant ..... it may not make any difference to your premium but at least you are covered .... I don't know the answer, but I do know insurance companies are quick to take your money but less keen to payout ....
EJH

Post by EJH »

Nutshell.
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
old man

Post by old man »

Hyun-day! wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:18 pm
old man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:01 pm
I was more thinking from an insurance perspective old man. As there is no spare option from factory then any wheel fitted that was non OEM? may be classed as a modification in the unfortunate event of an accident. So my question should be perhaps... do you need to declare your spare wheel to be insurance compliant ..... it may not make any difference to your premium but at least you are covered .... I don't know the answer, but I do know insurance companies are quick to take your money but less keen to payout ....
Well I can't disagree about insurance companies, but I would disagree that there is no factory option available though. Anyone of us is more than welcome to order a wheel and tyre from our dealer after buying the car. The reason Hyundai don't offer one before buying our car is because it would skew their figures for claimed vehicle weights and fuel consumption figures.
There is absolutely nothing stopping you carrying and fitting a non Hyundai wheel to your car as long as it meets legal requirements.
On that basis, there's no way I'm telling my insurance company that I've added an aftermarket spare wheel to my boot, as in recent times they have a habit of charging customers for anything they can and I'm not paying the sharks for something I may never use, especially when it would be perfectly legal.
There is of course a piece of mind element to this conversation, so if you or anyone else is fretful about using an aftermarket spare, then by all means tell your insurance company. I suspect that some companies will dismiss your misgivings and others will tell you it's an alteration and take a fee for amending your policy.
Don't get the impression that I'm being blasé about this. I like to stay legal and comply with what's correct, but I'm confident that carrying and possibly using the spare I have in my boot is legal and it's certainly no worse than using a space saver.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

old man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:34 pm Anyone of us is more than welcome to order a wheel and tyre from our dealer after buying the car.

I would have done that. but I was told by the dealer that there wasn't one available...
old man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:34 pm but I'm confident that carrying and possibly using the spare I have in my boot is legal and it's certainly no worse than using a space saver.

I'm still concerned about the lower than standard Load Rating (less so about the Speed Rating), so I think I'm going to spend the extra £100 and replace the tyre. This was possibly not the most cost effective way of going about things :roll:

On the subject of Insurance, I had a quick glance at the sort of modifications you can enter on MoneySavingExpert and CompareTheMarket. Fitting or carrying a spare wheel isn't listed, so I don't think notifying them is an issue. I'm more concerned about them using the fitment of an 'under-rated' tyre as a reason to not settle a claim (even if it clearly wasn't implicated). Experience has taught me they're devious sods!

Aside from that, I still have the Space Saver I purchased for the last car - with a view to ebay'ing it. It was purchased online from a Honda dealer and was said to fit all Civics from 2005 onward. At the time I just took their (professional) word for it, but on studying it more carefully, it turns out it was completely the wrong size for my car! It' s a good job I never had to use it in anger :o
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

If the dealers are saying there is no spare wheel to have, can you buy a jack & wheel brace that is Hyundai or just any old jack & brace will do, is there a designated jacking point to use.

If you have your car serviced at Hyundai you get another years breakdown cover, but who do they use, has Hyundai got there own service or use any old Tom, Dick or Harry or
one of the main ones Like AA, RAC, Greenflag ?

I read an article just before I purchased my Tucson that the RAC if they are called out to a breakdown and it is a puncture they can use a silicone temp repair that can be removed easier than the stuff you keep in the boot or if past repair they carry a universal 5 stud spare wheel and tyre that can fit almost any car and they collect the spare when you have had your repair done or new tyre fitted.
old man

Post by old man »

Spare wheel not available, what tosh ! Whilst they may not be available in the options list they have to be available to buy. What would happen if you damaged a wheel irreparably in a pothole incident and had to have a new one fitted ? Your dealer was either lazy or ignorant.

Beware options available on comparison websites, they do vary and not all possible options are listed. One site I used did not list towbars as a mod, while another did. Because a towbar is a modification to the structure of the car, i contacted the provider personally to have it added to my policy.

Whilst I understand your need to comply, I believe you're overthinkiing this situation. The load rating on a tyre is in place so that the tyres will cope with the weight of the car when it's fully laden with passengers and luggage. Common sense must be applied here e.g. you're on a journey in the middle of the night with a full car, you have a puncture and all you have in the boot is a tyre repair kit or a space saver. Both options have short term limitations, whereas the combo you currently have doesn't. Even though I have the full size spare, I will still treat it as a temporary solution, to be used only until I can get the original repaired or replaced, but at least in the scenario I mentioned, I will not be limited to 50mph for 50 miles only and i can continue my journey as normal until I can get to a tyre repair shop when they open the following day.

With regard to your space saver, in my, albeit limited association with them, the size you buy in the aftermarket or the tyre and wheel supplied by the manufacturer is not the same size as the wheel fitted to your car. Two cars back I had a Kodiaq for which the recommended space saver wheel was 2 inches less in diameter than the original wheel. On the following Skoda Kamiq, a full size spare wheel was available from the manufacturer that was also 2 inches smaller than the original. Overall diameter is what's important, and the wheel stud spacings must be correct for the car you have.
I quite like my dealer, but even they are guilty of providing false information. It pays to do your homework.
old man

Post by old man »

NoTwOld wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:32 am If the dealers are saying there is no spare wheel to have, can you buy a jack & wheel brace that is Hyundai or just any old jack & brace will do, is there a designated jacking point to use.

If you have your car serviced at Hyundai you get another years breakdown cover, but who do they use, has Hyundai got there own service or use any old Tom, Dick or Harry or
one of the main ones Like AA, RAC, Greenflag ?

I read an article just before I purchased my Tucson that the RAC if they are called out to a breakdown and it is a puncture they can use a silicone temp repair that can be removed easier than the stuff you keep in the boot or if past repair they carry a universal 5 stud spare wheel and tyre that can fit almost any car and they collect the spare when you have had your repair done or new tyre fitted.
Hyundai breakdown cover is provided by the AA.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post