Spare Wheel ?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Big S

Post by Big S »

Just for information purposes the V rating means it can travel at a max of 149 mph. A W rating equates to 168 mph.
99 rated tyres can carry a max weight of 1709 lbs / 775 kg's, 103 rated tyres can carry a max of 1929 lbs / 875 kgs.

Tyre manufacturers recommend that you don't mix different speed and weight tyres on the same axle, but to be honest
if you are purely keeping it as a spare to use in an emergency situation, and you don't intend going 149 -168 miles per hour, or have more than 1,550 kgs on the axle with the spare on it I wouldn't worry about it.
Also reading an earlier post on this subject Phil mentions his spare has H stamped on it meaning its maximum speed is 130 mph.

old man

Post by old man »

PhilHornby wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:36 pm
old man wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:26 pm I have an aftermarket full size spare in mine and it fits fine.

I believe I've bought the same wheel/tyre as you. Assuming yours is also rated as 99W (instead of 103V), what's your take on it?

(The more I research, the more worried I am about the "W" load-rating being inappropriate for the vehicle...)
Can't remember the speed rating and I'm currently abroad, so can't check. I know the speed rating is more than the top speed of my car, which is approx 120 mph which I'm unlikely to get anywhere near.
I bought the wheel and tyre combination because I don't trust the gunk kit supplied with the car. I also dislike the limitations of a temporary spare wheel. What I wanted was a proper wheel and tyre that will keep me travelling normally until such time as I can get the damaged tyre repaired or replaced. I certainly don't intend leave it on the car indefinitely.
I would have bought an original spec wheel and tyre, but the price is prohibitive for an item that may never get used.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Big S wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:17 pm Just for information purposes the V rating means it can travel at a max of 149 mph. A W rating equates to 168 mph.
99 rated tyres can carry a max weight of 1709 lbs / 775 kg's, 103 rated tyres can carry a max of 1929 lbs / 875 kgs.

if you are purely keeping it as a spare to use in an emergency situation, and you don't intend going 149 -168 miles per hour, or have more than 1,550 kgs on the axle with the spare on it I wouldn't worry about it.

I was searching through the (American) Tucson PDF manual that I downloaded from somewhere ... and found a couple of salient facts :-

"Any tires (sic) that are over six years old, based on manufacturing date should be replaced by new ones".
Not directly pertinent to this discussion, but interesting, because I've always used seven years, not six.

"Maximum load rating ... when replacing the tires (sic) on the vehicle always use a tire (sic) that has the same load rating as the factory installed tire (sic)".

They have nothing to say about Speed Ratings, other than giving the table of ratings&speeds.

The Space Saver from my previous car had a higher load rating (97) than the car's standard tyres (94). The speed rating was only "M", rather than the "W" that the mighty 998cc Honda Civic normally runs on ;) (Just for good measure, that Space Saver wasn't a Radial - it was marked "D". How was that satisfactory? )

A bit of light reading: the chap who got a fine for using his Space Saver for more than just the journey home... (it was a while ago and the outcome is unknown)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

As the car doesn't come with a spare wheel does that mean it is like fitting a towbar you need to notify your insurance company as it is an added extra, especially if it is not a genuine Hyundai part
EJH

Post by EJH »

NoTwOld wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:13 pm As the car doesn't come with a spare wheel does that mean it is like fitting a towbar you need to notify your insurance company as it is an added extra, especially if it is not a genuine Hyundai part
Great question. I mean, it's not as if insurance companies will try every trick known to man to get out of paying a claim will they (?)
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
old man

Post by old man »

NoTwOld wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:13 pm As the car doesn't come with a spare wheel does that mean it is like fitting a towbar you need to notify your insurance company as it is an added extra, especially if it is not a genuine Hyundai part

I do believe you're allowed to carry what you wish in your boot. That's like saying an insurance company will nullify your insurance because you didn't notify them that you're carrying two bags of coal in the boot.
Common sense must prevail.
Berty

Post by Berty »

old man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:00 pm

I do believe you're allowed to carry what you wish in your boot. That's like saying an insurance company will nullify your insurance because you didn't notify them that you're carrying two bags of coal in the boot.
2? I had 3 bags in the Seat Leon this morning(no way I was putting them in the new car tomorrow).

I agree, modifications and carrying an item are different things. One could argue that my wife is therefore an Insurance Liability so I can refuse carriage. :D
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
EJH

Post by EJH »

old man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:00 pm

I'm with you. Just playing devil's advocate in this scenario. 2 bags of coal in the boot is carriage, a spare wheel is an accessory. Plz don't shoot thr messenger 😉🙄
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
EJH

Post by EJH »

[/quote]

2? I had 3 bags in the Seat Leon this morning(no way I was putting them in the new car tomorrow).

I agree, modifications and carrying an item are different things. One could argue that my wife is therefore an Insurance Liability so I can refuse carriage. :D
[/quote]
You may have a case there 😉
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
old man

Post by old man »

A spare wheel is only an accessory if you are using it on an axle as a wheel. Whilst in the boot it's just carriage same as the coal.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post