New Tucson GPF light on

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
J8LDF

Post by J8LDF »

It may answer the "why?". Such as EGR fault etc, warning lights don't always present as face value.

Mr.grumpy

Post by Mr.grumpy »

Service dept said they would come back to me on Monday after talking to Hyundai technical .Still waiting , Have now spoken to hyundai finance and they may arrange an inspection of vehicle. My argument is that people need to be told about this problem when buying new vehicles. If I travel 5 miles to go to work and then come home the vehicle should be able to cope. My car is a tucson mild hybrid
XADE

Post by XADE »

Well, it's got me as well now.

Tried running 30mins 60mph (2000+ revs) and nothing.

Mentioned earlier in the thread about an ECU update, did this ever happen? Are Hyundai likely to charge me now they have acknowledged the issue?

Also not mentioned, will this be damaging my engine if I just leave it?
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
old man

Post by old man »

XADE wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:03 am Well, it's got me as well now.

Mentioned earlier in the thread about an ECU update, did this ever happen? Are Hyundai likely to charge me now they have acknowledged the issue?

I've taken an interest in this since I bought my car because I assumed that as we all have the same engine, this could afflict all of us long term. This is not currently the case as it only seems to affect non hybrids.
However just running around at 60mph will not clear the fault, you need to follow the instructions as issued by Hyundai and are posted on this forum somewhere. The trick is high revs in lower gears to make the engine work harder. If I'm right in thinking you own a manual car, this should be easier than in an auto.

The mention of an ECU update was wishful thinking and speculation on our part and I've seen nothing to indicate that Hyundai have taken any steps to alleviate this problem. We all seem to think that software updates can be a cure all, but that isn't always the case. As far as I can see, the mechanical setup on a Hybrid may be different to a pure petrol and therefore a fix (if one is possible) may involve more than adjusting a computer programme.

I asked the head tech at my dealer a year ago if running the car with a fault light on would do any harm. He was somewhat non committal but indicated that if it happened to him, he would run the car with the light on. I have since discovered that the techs in our dealers don't know everything and are easily capable of issuing unsound advice. I also read somewhere since, that the car should not be driven far with the warning light on as damage can occur. On a personal level, I will err on the side of caution should my light illuminate and either try and clear the light myself, or get it to a dealer pretty soon for a forced regen.

Getting charged by a dealer to clear the light seems to be hit and miss dependent on individual dealers. Some charge, some don't and some will do a couple of regens for free and then charge. As far as I know, Hyundai have not acknowledged any culpability for this problem and until (if) they do, dealers are within their rights to charge, galling as that may be.

Out of interest, does most of your driving consist of short journeys e.g. school runs and shopping ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
XADE

Post by XADE »

old man wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:39 am
XADE wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:03 am Well, it's got me as well now.

I've taken an interest in this since I bought my car because I assumed that as we all have the same engine, this could afflict all of us long term. This is not currently the case as it only seems to affect non hybrids.
However just running around at 60mph will not clear the fault, you need to follow the instructions as issued by Hyundai and are posted on this forum somewhere. The trick is high revs in lower gears to make the engine work harder. If I'm right in thinking you own a manual car, this should be easier than in an auto.

The mention of an ECU update was wishful thinking and speculation on our part and I've seen nothing to indicate that Hyundai have taken any steps to alleviate this problem. We all seem to think that software updates can be a cure all, but that isn't always the case. As far as I can see, the mechanical setup on a Hybrid may be different to a pure petrol and therefore a fix (if one is possible) may involve more than adjusting a computer programme.

I asked the head tech at my dealer a year ago if running the car with a fault light on would do any harm. He was somewhat non committal but indicated that if it happened to him, he would run the car with the light on. I have since discovered that the techs in our dealers don't know everything and are easily capable of issuing unsound advice. I also read somewhere since, that the car should not be driven far with the warning light on as damage can occur. On a personal level, I will err on the side of caution should my light illuminate and either try and clear the light myself, or get it to a dealer pretty soon for a forced regen.

Getting charged by a dealer to clear the light seems to be hit and miss dependent on individual dealers. Some charge, some don't and some will do a couple of regens for free and then charge. As far as I know, Hyundai have not acknowledged any culpability for this problem and until (if) they do, dealers are within their rights to charge, galling as that may be.

Out of interest, does most of your driving consist of short journeys e.g. school runs and shopping ?
Thanks for this, I appreciate the update.

I have just contacted my local dealer so will look to book in asap to see what they have to say about it all.

I would probably say half of my mileage (although low) would be 60mph+ motorway relatively steady speeds (not much traffic), and half very short runs of 1-5miles around my area.

One of the reasons I wanted a petrol (having had a high MPG diesel Qashqai) was to avoid issues going shorter journeys, so this is pretty unfortunate, assuming this may happen multiple times.

If it helps details wise for others, I have a 1.6L non hybrid, 3800 miles in 6 months, I thought the cold weather was making the mpg worse, I doubt that it's the case at the moment and could be this.

This is the first 'issue' I've come across. There's some issues documented here also: https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/fo ... ing-light/ - Considering most I have read haven't been able to clear the fault using Kia/Hyundai's advice I am going to try this:

Accelerating to 75mph, and dropping down to 50mph through engine braking repeatedly (from high revs).

If you don’t have hills to coast off of, just accelerate to 75mph in third/fourth gear (whatever leaves you at around 5500-6500rpm at 75mph), and then engine brake down to 50mph multiple times. Probably best done at night, would be my suggestion.

Apologies if this has been mentioned but finding some interesting, shall we say, theories?

“GPF regeneration can only be performed in “non power” conditions, meaning that regeneration is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter.”

In conditions where this is not possible, the vehicles engine management systems alters timing causing it to run lean. This “lean” burn increases oxygen and therefore GPF operating temperatures, allowing a regeneration to occur.
daibill

Post by daibill »

My use sounds similar although I have a few longer runs of 100+ miles on occasion. I use engine breaking to keep the revs 3k plus whenever slowing and have not had this issue in almost 9000 miles and 8 months of ownership.
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
old man

Post by old man »

Some good info in the Mobiltycar link, more so than there is here I think. It does appear though that contributore are still getting a little mixed up between different powertrains and it was very disheartening to read that there's been a reported case in a HEV.
There's an opinion over there that a software fix will appear - I hope that's true and not just speculation.
XADE

Post by XADE »

:ugeek:
daibill wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:33 pm My use sounds similar although I have a few longer runs of 100+ miles on occasion. I use engine breaking to keep the revs 3k plus whenever slowing and have not had this issue in almost 9000 miles and 8 months of ownership.
I am a bit of a coaster, so hopefully I can nip this in the bud early enough to at least remove the warning the first time..
XADE

Post by XADE »

old man wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:50 pm Some good info in the Mobiltycar link, more so than there is here I think. It does appear though that contributore are still getting a little mixed up between different powertrains and it was very disheartening to read that there's been a reported case in a HEV.
There's an opinion over there that a software fix will appear - I hope that's true and not just speculation.
Yes interesting stuff, I think fair to assume mobility users might be doing less mileage and possibly a bit more tentative power wise.

I don't like to even admit that this should be anything to do with driving style though, this is completely on the manufacturer for me, or at least overly aggressive eco standards.
old man

Post by old man »

I don't like to even admit that this should be anything to do with driving style though, this is completely on the manufacturer for me, or at least overly aggressive eco standards.
I think that driving style is a misnomer, the problem is caused by distances travelled, not by the way anyone pilots their car and nobody should feel guilty when their warning light illuminates. As I've said before and it's mentioned in the Motorbilty thread, the buying public should be made aware before puchasing that the type of journeys they'll undertake can/will cause GPF problems.
Bottom line here; Hyundai/Kia have got something very wrong here and they need to rectify it asap for current owners and going forward. They appear not to have done their R&D religiously and are leaving the buying public to do it for them. This really should not be happening, especially after the known problems with DPFs and those owners having the problem should be shouting it as loudly as possible at their dealers, social media and any other format that brings it to the attention of Hyundai/Kia and the general buying public.
Slowing their sales and giving them a bad reputation is what will hurt them most.
However we pay for our cars, thay are costing us a lot of money and we are entitled to expect better from the manufacturer.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post