What will you replace your Tucson with ?

The place to discuss everything else..
daibill

Post by daibill »

Austral..
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)

pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

DotDotDotDot wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:44 pm
I like this post, it pretty much aligns with my own thinking. Should also have mentioned - I don't want a smelly diesel.

I rather like the Mazda CX60 but suspect it falls into the 'larger' SUV category plus when new it's expensive. Cars of 'similar' size to Tucson ......
I've always liked Mazda, but their petrol engines aren't that powerful and there's no HEV.

1. Volvo XC60 .... Nice looking car ...
I agree and I like the look of the XC40 also.

2. BMW X3 .... its a beemer.. nuf said.
Yep.

3. Mercedes ??? .... not what they used to be
Never been a Merc fan, can't really explain why.

4. Lexus NX ..... this would be my choice after the Tucson ...
Me too apart from dealer being too far. Mind you, if it's only a once a year visit for a service, maybe not a deal breaker.

5. Kia Sportage .... like interior but facelift Tucson is better again.
Same as I've already got really, so little point in changing.

6. Mazda CX5 ..... just a bit boring..
Liked them when they first appeared, but yes, a bit old hat now.

7. Nissan Qashqai epower ..... like the idea of the powertrain ....
Quite like the look of these and also the latest X Trail. They do a HEV but I'm not well versed on their petrol engines and they're not as powerful as I'd like or as my current Tucson.

8. Honda CRV ..... since when was this soooo expensive ....
Probably a very acceptable car, but just not floating my boat at present.

9. Ford ... not for me ..
Ditto.
10. Vauxhall ... not for me ..
Ditto.

11. VW Tiguan ..... facelift doesn't inspire me .. apparently electronics are better ... not for me ...
I generally like the way the VAG cars drive, but underneath the facade, parts used and reliability aren't as good as the old fashioned hype suggests.

12 . Kia Sportage ...see what a facelift brings.
Ditto.

13. Skoda ... do they have a medium SUV?
I've had 4 Skodas since 2010. I've liked their Germanicness without the higher prices, but that has changed of late. Two cars ago I had a 2.0 petrol 4WD Kodiaq. Liked it a lot and could quite easily get another. apart fro measly 3 year guarantee. Apart from space and inside storage, I think the Tucson shades it for driving pleasure. The Kodiaq did seem more robust though. I downsized to a Kamiq after that. Nice enough car, but just not for me and I swapped it for the Tucson. Yes, Skoda have the Karoq, which is what I should have got instead of the Kamiq and I would have if I could've found a demo or pre reg in the spec I wanted - but it was during Covid, so nothing about.

14. Tucson ..... I really like the facelift ..
I'm not sure I like it enough to spend several £0000s to swap and generally I like to get something different when I change cars.

15. Genesis .... don't really know the offering
Only dealers in London as far as I know, not worth the hassle.

16. JLR .... see the reliability charts .. oh dear
Ditto.

17. Alfa Romeo Tonale .... stylish car .. don't know much about it ....
I'm old school, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, or any other Italian make come to that.

18. Peugeot/Citroen .... not for me
I like the styling of the current range of Peugots, but not Citroen and there's long been a reliabilty question hang over French marques, may undeserved lately - I don't know.

19. Audi whatever ..... Russian doll range and not for me ...
Generally ditto, but I wouldn't mind a hot Q5.

20. Seat ..... like Skoda, do they have a similar size SUV to the Tucson...
Yes, the Ateca. The location of my nearest dealer puts me off and they've just been designated the budget brand of VAG. Doesn't shout come and buy one to me.

14. Others ???
As mentioned further down - the Renault Austral which wasn't on my radar. Decent looking car in my eyes and I assume with the same underpinnings as Nissan. In the back of my head, there's always the question mark about French car reliability.

For me it would therefore be:
1. Tucson.
2. Lexus NX.
3. Mazda CX60.
It would be the Lexus for me, mainly cos it's something different to the Tucson.

I had a close look at a Kia EV9 in a lovely blue colour this week. What a nice car but wow its expensive. Looks better than the new Sante Fe. The front and side of the Sante Fe look good, very Landrover but, I just can't get the 'ssangyong rodeus' out of my head when I look at the rear.
If and when I cease taking my car abroad, then maybe I'll consider a pure EV, but as with diesels in the past, I think the government will royally shaft EV owners in the future. I'm not convinced that EVs are the future and I think they are a knee jerk stop gap before some bright spark comes up with something better.
I am not as au fait with cars as I used to be, so I stand to be corrected on anything I've written here.
Thanks all for your input thus far though :D
roadster

Post by roadster »

I have two incentives which may be a bit quirky. Firstly I like trying different engineering solutions. Secondly the driving experience is very important but absolute performance is not what I mean. The Tucson has had no real problems but I just haven't been won over by the dual clutch automatic or the overall responsiveness. PHEV has not saved me a great deal of cash because I couldn't get a working smart meter and electricity prices have rocketed. I am now looking for a hybrid SUV with genuine 50 mpg and I think the Nissan Qashqai E-Power will do it. The test drive was most impressive although I will definitely miss the 260 HP on those rare occasions when A road overtaking is possible.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

roadster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:24 am I have two incentives which may be a bit quirky. Firstly I like trying different engineering solutions. Secondly the driving experience is very important but absolute performance is not what I mean. The Tucson has had no real problems but I just haven't been won over by the dual clutch automatic or the overall responsiveness. PHEV has not saved me a great deal of cash because I couldn't get a working smart meter and electricity prices have rocketed. I am now looking for a hybrid SUV with genuine 50 mpg and I think the Nissan Qashqai E-Power will do it. The test drive was most impressive although I will definitely miss the 260 HP on those rare occasions when A road overtaking is possible.
I would miss the power if I moved to a Qashqai. I've heard the mpg is not that great on the ePower. Nevertheless, I'm sure it will a decent car as there seem to be plenty around.

For info, the Tucson PHEV does not have Dual Clutch Gearbox. That's reserved for the MHEV and other models but not the HEV and PHEV. The Hyundai DCT is a 7 speed on UK cars. The HEV and PHEV have a 6 speed what is best described as the equivalent to a traditional torque converter box.
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

I will definitely miss the 260 HP on those rare occasions when A road overtaking is possible.
Yes, me too. The BHP figure and 0 - 60 time of the HEV was one of the reasons I bought the Tucson. I do find that the kickdown response isn't as instant as the two previous Skoda DSGs I owned though.
Deleted User 1711

pharaoh wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:17 am
I will definitely miss the 260 HP on those rare occasions when A road overtaking is possible.
Yes, me too. The BHP figure and 0 - 60 time of the HEV was one of the reasons I bought the Tucson. I do find that the kickdown response isn't as instant as the two previous Skoda DSGs I owned though.
The current gearbox tech on the Tucson HEV/PHEV is not the equivalent to DSG so I can understand it may not be as responsive. Its pretty good in Sport Mode if you wanna get a wriggle on.

The Tucson would benefit from an 8 speed with nicely spaced ratios. The majority of the time shifting is seamless (unlike some DSGs that become jerky in traffic). It's on the occasions when tackling hills when the box decides to kick down and the engine gets a bit vocal. More ratios would hopefully resolve this plus it may also help with economy when on the motorway.
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

I have no major complaints about the gearbox and most of the time it's seamless. Sometimes it appears to get caught out when it's shuffling between engine and electric power and of course, there's the holding on to a gear for too long, but adjustment of driving style gets around those things.
I do shift into Sport mode occasionally, but only for a temporary spurt and then I'm back to ECO as I prefer the more relaxed nature that brings. The car still has pretty decent performance in ECO. I find keeping the box in Sport is something like controlling a car on a Scalextric track, buy maybe using it more often would acclimatise me to it.

There is nothing that I dislike enough with this car to make me want to change it at present. The only reason would be to keep a newish car on my driveway and the privilege of doing that is costly.

A few foibles, but generally love the car.
I'm certainly in agreement with your statement above.
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

pharaoh wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:44 am I have no major complaints about the gearbox and most of the time it's seamless. Sometimes it appears to get caught out when it's shuffling between engine and electric power and of course, there's the holding on to a gear for too long, but adjustment of driving style gets around those things.
I do shift into Sport mode occasionally, but only for a temporary spurt and then I'm back to ECO as I prefer the more relaxed nature that brings. The car still has pretty decent performance in ECO. I find keeping the box in Sport is something like controlling a car on a Scalextric track, buy maybe using it more often would acclimatise me to it.

There is nothing that I dislike enough with this car to make me want to change it at present. The only reason would be to keep a newish car on my driveway and the privilege of doing that is costly.

A few foibles, but generally love the car.
I'm certainly in agreement with your statement above.
Without actually saying it in my original thread "Is there another car out there with similar or better attributes than my current N Line S HEV Tucson at a similar pricepoint, that could persuade me to trade in the Tucson ?"
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

I have been a member of this forum for 2 years and have owned 3x 230 HEV Tucsons - all purchased from new. 2 Ultimates and then a N Line S. Was able to buy new each time as there was little or no depreciation on the original discounted prices I managed to obtain.
I liked the first two cars very much (despite the well known issues/irritations) but my luck ran out with the third. The build quality was poor and I was unable to live with the constant clicking noises and rattling. This one was just not well screwed together, 😩
Came across an excellent deal on a new Volvo XC40 B3 mild hybrid which was immediately available. Took a hit on the Tucson trade in price ( second hand values were tumbling on most cars in Nov/Dec 2023) but the Volvo deal was too good to miss. I have been delighted with the Volvo and most impressed by the quality and comfort of the cabin, and the smooth, refined driving experience. It is no slouch either! Also one of the safest cars out there. Mpg is 40 compared with 48 in the Tucson but I can live with that as I do no more than 6k a year.
Have still not made the transition to a full EV but prices are beginning to become more reasonable, range is improving and choice is increasing. So one day, maybe ………?
Bottom line, there are many excellent cars available these days but the deal you may or may not get and the timing of it is often crucial to which car you actually go for.
I have very much enjoyed my experience on this forum and wish all members continuing enjoyment with their Tucson.
Deleted User 1711

Wychwood wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:31 pm The build quality was poor and I was unable to live with the constant clicking noises and rattling. This one was just not well screwed together, 😩
Shame about your third Tucson. The Volvo looks like a nice car so all the best with it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post