Granny charger query

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Lonegun

Post by Lonegun »

I've just got myself a granny charger however when connecting up it only charges for around 10 mins and then stops. Blue link app recognises that its plugged in still but wont start charging remotely i had to go out remove cable from car and plug back in again.
am i doing something wrong do i need to start charging in the blue link app for the charge to stay on.?
23 Plate PHEV Ultimate Dark Teal,Black Interior
Ordered 22/08/2022
Collected 07/03/2023

David3

Post by David3 »

Are you using the schedule charging in the car or just charging as soon as it's plugged in?
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next year🙈😂
Lonegun

Post by Lonegun »

trying to charge as soon as plugged in
Ordered 22/08/2022
Collected 07/03/2023
David3

Post by David3 »

Lonegun wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:22 pm trying to charge as soon as plugged in
Check the schedule charging on the car and turn it all off, I can't remember off hand how to do it but someone else may remember, we use a granny charger but have cheap rate electricity from 12.35am so I turned off all of the scheduled charging but run the granny charger through a timed socket to allow charging from 12.35am till 4.35am
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next year🙈😂
Lonegun

Post by Lonegun »

nothing in there, im thinking its because im runninf of an extension
Ordered 22/08/2022
Collected 07/03/2023
David3

Post by David3 »

Lonegun wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:50 pm nothing in there, im thinking its because im runninf of an extension
I'm running mine from an extension through a a timed socket as the cars scheduled charging kept falling, have you checked the settings on the charger if it has any? Ours has several power levels but not sure if there is an off position
Davis63

Post by Davis63 »

Hi. I don't have my Tucson yet but have been in a Aircross- I used the Charger plugged direct to a socket and on the scheduled charging in vehicle saw the link below about Granny Charging, It may be worth trying to get plugged into a direct socket and see if the same happens, also some granny chargers have buttons on them to alter settings, not sure if yours is one

https://toughleads.co.uk/pages/safely-c ... ion%20lead.
2024 Premium PHEV-Shimmering Silver
Beards

Post by Beards »

If at all possible do not use an extension cable with a Granny Charger. Not all extension cables support 13A, some only 6A and whilst I would not charge at 13A due to the possibility of overheating a mains socket, anything plugged into that socket (extension cable) may have inferior parts.

My workaround in using a granny charger is I use a Tapo P110M Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug, Energy Monitor from:- https://uk.store.tapo.com/products/tapo ... monitoring

It is safe to use with a Granny Charger as the Tapo is registered at 13A (on my Granny Charger it is set at 10A to avoid overheating). The benefits of the Tapo P110M is I leave the Granny Charger left plugged into the Tapo P110M with this plugged into the mains socket. The mains socket is left switched on but the Tapo P110M is turned OFF from the App.
The App not only controls when I can turn ON or OFF the charging but I can if needed set a charging schedule from the Tapo App. There is also the benefit that the App also tells me how much the charge is costing hour by hour. I can then have either a Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly graph from the App.
Tucson PHEV Ultimate + Tech Pack. Amazon Grey/Moss Grey
Ordered: 10 May 2022
Estimated Delivery: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb 2022/23
Dealers: 28 Feb 2023
Pick up: 08 Mar 2023
Refused: 08 Mar 2023
New Order: 08 Mar 2023
Picked up: 18 Jan 2024
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Beards wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:32 am My workaround in using a granny charger is I use a Tapo P110M Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug, Energy Monitor
Although I have no need of any charging equipment for my car and, at my age, will very probably never have to deal with any car that requires charging from an electric socket, I was nevertheless, intrigued to read your piece on the subject of ‘granny chargers’.

On reading the spec of the unit, I note the manufacturer has a ‘get-out-of-jail-card’ in the blurb that accompanies the ad.

Bullet points 9 & 10 in the attached screen grab:

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 13.09.07.png

Having read of several major house fires in the last few years, directly attributable to E-bikes or E-scooters, I would be disinclined to use any charging equipment indoors or via an extension lead to outdoors. While you may be electrically savvy, there are thousands who might be tempted into regularly charging a BEV from a 3-pin socket with little idea of the current draw and how it may impact domestic electrical circuitry with the potential for major collateral damage.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Beards

Post by Beards »

Indalo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:35 pm
Beards wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:32 am My workaround in using a granny charger is I use a Tapo P110M Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug, Energy Monitor
Although I have no need of any charging equipment for my car and, at my age, will very probably never have to deal with any car that requires charging from an electric socket, I was nevertheless, intrigued to read your piece on the subject of ‘granny chargers’.

On reading the spec of the unit, I note the manufacturer has a ‘get-out-of-jail-card’ in the blurb that accompanies the ad.

Bullet points 9 & 10 in the attached screen grab:

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 13.09.07.png

Having read of several major house fires in the last few years, directly attributable to E-bikes or E-scooters, I would be disinclined to use any charging equipment indoors or via an extension lead to outdoors. While you may be electrically savvy, there are thousands who might be tempted into regularly charging a BEV from a 3-pin socket with little idea of the current draw and how it may impact domestic electrical circuitry with the potential for major collateral damage.
I do agree you should never put strain on a socket.
The mains socket is 13A rated. The Tapo is also 13A rated. However, as I mentioned in order not to task both the mains and the Tapo I have the Granny Charger set at 10A. This works perfectly fine with both mains and Tapo hardly warm to the touch after 4 hours of charge.
Tucson PHEV Ultimate + Tech Pack. Amazon Grey/Moss Grey
Ordered: 10 May 2022
Estimated Delivery: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb 2022/23
Dealers: 28 Feb 2023
Pick up: 08 Mar 2023
Refused: 08 Mar 2023
New Order: 08 Mar 2023
Picked up: 18 Jan 2024

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post