2023 hybrid battery charge level

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
Meandmealone

Post by Meandmealone »

Hi all
Just got my new ultimate hybrid. It's very nice and very pleased so far.
The EV battery level is always around half and never seems to go above that. Is this normal?
Looking forward to getting to know this car better and enjoying some UK tours
Thanks for looking.

Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

Meandmealone wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:14 am Hi all
Just got my new ultimate hybrid. It's very nice and very pleased so far.
The EV battery level is always around half and never seems to go above that. Is this normal?
Looking forward to getting to know this car better and enjoying some UK tours
Thanks for looking.
Hi. It will get better but it never goes over 3/4 charge during normal use eg. Driving in ECO. If you want to boost it to full run it in Sport mode and it will charge it further.
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey
OzJock

Post by OzJock »

Hi & Welcome, yes that’s normal. Mostly it’ll be between 1/4 & 3/4 battery. Ambient temperature affects engine (ICE) behaviour with a noticeable increase in ICE running below 10C as it seems to prioritise warm up - consequently, as in the recent cold spell, you may see battery charge above 3/4 but conversely a dip in fuel economy, almost Range Rover like if you do a high proportion of short journeys.

I’ve never seen my battery close to 100% or 0%, I think it’s healthier for longevity to stay in the 20-80% Goldilocks zone.

As Southern Lad says switch over to Sport mode to force some more charge in with extra ICE running or if you’ve done quite a lot of short journeys and feel a bit of heat will help look after the particulate filter.

What was your previous car?

Enjoy the Tucson.
2022 Premium 230 HEV
digger

Post by digger »

hi all
Mines a Hybrid,, go in to sports mode now and them,, this gives better engine breaking and charges the Hybrid battery to 100% there is a recognizes slight problem with the 12v battery system on this car, causing the remotes not to work,locking the car out with the car alarm activating in low volume ,,requiring the manual door key over ride to open the car and pressing the Battery reset system to reset the system . hence going into sports mode now and then to charge all the batteries,, had this once on my car,, this advise is from this forum and the main hyundia dealer,,,
Philr

Post by Philr »

It is important to think about the EV battery in a different way to the old 12v ancillary battery that we all know.
In summary the EV battery is there to make the petrol engine more efficient. This is an extract from an article that I stumbled across when I was looking at buying an HEV (I'd already decided against a PHEV)

The reason an HEV has a high-voltage battery is not so it can “get charged up.” It is there to act as a buffer, that allows you to alternate between running your engine at its most efficient levels while charging the battery, and running mainly (or entirely) on battery while using little (or no) gas.

A gas engine is most efficient when it runs at a low-to-moderate speed, and is generating about 60% to 80% of the power it could at that speed. The problem with conventional gas cars is that they need to run at higher speeds to accelerate, and at lower power levels when not accelerating. So they never run at their most efficient point.

A hybrid gets around that by alternating between a power-saving mode and a charge-depleting mode. Power-saving mode is pretty simple: the engine runs as close as it can to the “sweet spot” where it is most efficient. It can be used only when this generates more power than the car needs, and the excess is sent, through a generator, to the battery for use later.

The strategy used by the car is not to charge the battery to 100%. That actually reduces the life of the battery. It will generally use about the middle third of the total range of charge levels. When the state-of-charge reaches, say, 67% it will switch to a charge-depleting mode. Then reverse that when the state-of-charge drops below 33%.

The efficiency gain comes from the engine efficiency in power-saving mode. There are many different ways to accomplish a charge-depleting mode, and which is used has little effect other than how long the mode is used. So-called EV mode, where the gas engine does not run at all, is just one of them, and is the shortest. Others include situations when the car is accelerating, when the car can’t run on battery alone because of the car’s speed, and … when it is warming up.

That the engine has to warm up is well-known, but maybe not that it loses some of its efficiency while doing so. But the high-voltage battery also has to warm up. It is also less efficient while it is cold, which can be considered to be “good” since the wasted energy becomes heat. Similarly, power-saving mode is what warms the engine up. It will be used more often, and with less benefit, during warm-up.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post