Intermittent Charging Issue - I think resolved

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
MichaelC

Post by MichaelC »

Have had my PHEV Tucson 2023 for a few months now and have constant but intermittent charging issues.

I have been in contact with Easee One charger support and they said everything is fine with the charger but did advise me to change the cable.

I do not use the car to run the charging schedule as there is a known bug with that which never seems to be fixed. I use the Easee One scheduler instead.

Every 3 or 4 days or so for no particular reason it refuses to charge overnight even though everything looks fine.

After pulling out cable, restarting car, and other random action sit seems to kick into action.

I am going to take the car back but intermittent problems always difficult.

Just wondered if anyone had similar issues.

I think I have resolved this and have added a post
Last edited by MichaelC on Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Yes I occasionally have issues. It seems to have become less frequent but a couple of weeks ago it failed to charge during the scheduled time. It's definitely the car too and not the charger as the wifes EQA never fails to charge. Not ideal but if I need to check it will charge I briefly change the charger from scheduled to on, and check if the car is charging. It's too infrequent for me to report at present. Good luck, and I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
1.6 TGDi Plug-in Hybrid Ultimate 5dr 4WD Dark Knight Grey
MichaelC

Post by MichaelC »

As described in my first post, for about 8 weeks now I have had a very strange charging problem. It was ok for first 4 weeks when car arrived but problems became more regular in the last 8.

I would plug the Car into my Easee One charger and everything on both the Hyundai and Easee apps and the devices said everything was ready to charge; quite regularly it did not work. This was both manually and by schedule.
I contacted Hyundai dealer and also the Easee support team. I have to say the Easee support team were great. Did loads of test, sent me another cable, etc. They said nothing was wrong with charger and thought it was the car. But they also said that if Hyundai looked at it and found nothing wrong then they would replace charger.

Anyway, was just about to send the car in when I spotted what the problem was – I think.
I had noticed a few times that the cable in the car looked perfect, but a few times I pulled it and it came out. I then noticed that if I did not hold the cable in place for a couple of seconds the car was making the locking noise but it did not lock. So after that every time I put the cable in and held until the locking noise ended I have not had a charging problem since - touch wood.

I can only guess that charging port became less stiff over the weeks and also I have a heavy 7.5m cable so maybe the weight of it just pulls the cable down a fraction of an inch.
I always charge in off-peak hours so it would only be in the morning when I noticed it had not charged. Annoyed with myself for not spotting this earlier, seems so obvious now.

I have fed back 2 issues to Hyundai - firstly, the long term known bug scheduling issue where the car loses the schedule for no reason (not linked to this issue): and secondly it would be great if the car moaned like mad when it could not lock the cable - because even though the cable looks secure, and all the status messages, indicator lights, etc. said the car was ready to charge. It was not.
Last edited by MichaelC on Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Interesting I like you thought it was something similar but could have sworn the last time it failed I pressed the plug in for several seconds. I found this which suggests something similar although they think it's related to the angle it's inserted.

https://myenergi.info/zappi-not-working ... t8370.html
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

My car has failed to charge now a couple of times despite me checking it was set up correctly. Tested it before going to bed and it started charging. Put it back on scheduled and got up next morning and it failed to charge. It's definitely the car as my wife's EQA never fails to charge. Will take it in if it continues.
Dave today

Post by Dave today »

I’ve got the following set up on a granny charger to make use of an EV tariff

Mechanical timer on the plug socket.
Set the locking of the charge cable to lock with central locking. (Not just when charging). I know the cable is plugged in and the car knows it’s attached checking on the blue link app.
I plug it in between 10 and 11 pm ready for the midnight cheap tariff. If I plug it in earlier the car seems to forget it’s plugged in some how.

By following this I don’t seem to have a problem.
Uk 2023 Tucson ultimate PHEV Amazon grey
Davis63

Post by Davis63 »

Glad you sorted it, I am waiting on my PHEV but am running a C5 Aircross PHEV and that sometimes doesn't charge, i have the schedule set for midnight as i'm on cheap energy, what i found is if i plug in and unlock the charging session via the charger app at say 6pm the car can go to sleep as its expecting charge and doesn't get it, I now unlock the charger app at 10 ish and it seems to be ok now.
2024 Premium PHEV-Shimmering Silver

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post