Tucson Sat Nav file format?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
MikeSwift

Post by MikeSwift »

Hi, I collect my Tucson on a couple of weeks and need a bit of help re POI file formats.

We're members of the National Trust and English heritage and have found the Post Codes published are at best inaccurate and at worst useless.

On my last Tucson 6 years ago I found a great web site called POI EDITOR, you could enter the post code and it was shown on a map, you could then move the marker to the correct position and save it as the correct file for various types of sat nav's.

I've found all the ones I had for my previous Tucson which would be great if they are still using the same file extension.

Is it still *****.kml?
2023 Tucson Ultimate Automatic Petrol MHEV Serenity White Pearl.

GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

Can't say for definite, as I haven't had a chance to create a custom POI list to import. I have however exported data from my Tucson, which was saved onto my USB drive as a .kml file. So I would say it is a fair bet that they are continuing to use that data type.

I have pulled up the POI Editor website, and I will put together a test this evening and upload it to the car. I'll update when I have more information.
2023 1.6 TGDi 150 Ultimate, manual 2WD in red, with black interior.

Fantastic gadgets and tech, shame about certain "Safety" features...
(Lane Keeping Assistance having to be manually disengaged every start up, I'm looking at you!)
MikeSwift

Post by MikeSwift »

Cheers, my Sportage uses the same file type but is a pain to add them, you have to save them to a USB stick as on file and then edit the down load to add the POI's in a certain way then reload them.

With my last Tucson you could put them all on a USB and load them individually or all at once, a much simpler method.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

I didn't know you could add POI's. Is it documented?
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

alan sh wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:52 pm I didn't know you could add POI's. Is it documented?
I could have sworn there was a separate manual for the Navigation System - but if there was, I've lost it! (Maybe I'm thinking of an earlier car :? )

Anyway, "Settings >> Navigation settings >> Automated features >> My data" takes you to a screen where you can :-
  • Import favourites and previous destinations from USB
    or
  • Export favourites and previous destinations to USB
I tried exporting my existing data and it wrote a selection of files to USB. Some were in an arbitrary binary format, but two stand out...

HI_Address_Book.kml contains some 'skeletal' POI details (just coordinates and some phone numbers - but not even their names).

Each entry looks something like :-

Code: Select all

<Placemark>
           <name></name>
           <Point>
               <coordinates>-2.429650,52.657200</coordinates>
           </Point>
       </Placemark>
NaviUserPlace.json looks much more promising - with a lot more data. Unfortunately, it's relatively complex and there's no published schema to understand what the fields mean :cry:

A single entry looks something like this :-

Code: Select all

{
      "adminCode": 43130274,
      "classCode": 33923,
      "displayPosition": {
        "alt": 0,
        "lat": 18330681,
        "lon": -1210068
      },
      "guidePosition": {
        "alt": 0,
        "lat": 18330681,
        "lon": -1210068
      },
      "hitScore": -1,
      "name": "Tiverton Parkway Station Overflow (Tiverton Parkway Station - Overflow Car Park)",
      "originType": 6,
      "phoneNumber": "+443451652030",
      "poiId": "24",
      "roadName": "Sampford Peverell Tiverton EX16 7EH United Kingdom",
      "serviceCompany": 2,
      "symbolCode": 33923,
      "time": 1692914843,
      "userDisplayType": 1,
      "userGuide": 1,
      "userVoiceGuide": 1
    },
Since I don't have enough information to modify the JSON file, I tried creating an additional .KML file using Google Earth and added it to the USB stick, before re-importing. Needless to say, it was totally ignored :cry:
It's possible that a 'hand-crafted' .KML (or a modification to the HI_Address_Book.kml) would have fared better.

Disclosure: Once-upon-a-time, I was the purveyor of a commercial software tool, that created POI's for Garmin Sat Navs :geek:
Last edited by PhilHornby on Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

Phil has done a great job, and inspired me to play around with the files a little, and come to the following conclusions:
1. The KML file is possibly very well named (HI_Address_Book.kml) as it doesn't really affect any data for navigation.
2. The KML file if edited, must marry up to NaviUserPlace.json, otherwise import seems to fail.
- I'm not sure about the other files (USERPOI, USERRECENT, and Favourite Place/Special Place in the NaviMyPlaces folder. They are updated by entering information directly on the in car deck, but I haven't yet got around to testing a data import without editing those.
3. The latitude and longitude in the Address Book kml file are in decimal degress (same as Google Earth, I think). The json file however, has the measurements in seconds +/- a few seconds.
- Converting based on quick calculations from the file differences seems to be multiply by 360,000.0596 and then round up to the nearest second.
4. No idea where their POI ID list has come from, or whether it is proprietary. I can tell you the few IDs I've peeked from the file:
15752862 : Italian Restaurants
17063688 : Morrisons
14783910 : Pharmacies
20778914 : Filling Stations
0 : Buildings

Not sure that any amount of editing is going to have any effect on the POI list. At best I suppose it will compile a favourites list, but that doesn't sound like that was your original intention. I'm a little surprised the Hyundai doesn't appear to allow you to edit the POI list directly. But hey-ho.

(Lane Keeping Assistance having to be manually disengaged every start up, I'm looking at you!)
Philr

Post by Philr »

Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
MikeSwift

Post by MikeSwift »

I've had a few problems with my PC but It's now fine and I've opened a kml file for Blackness Castle which we visited Scotland on an Outlander tour when we had our previos Tucson

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0"><Document>
<Folder>
<Placemark>
<name>Blackness Castle</name>
<Point>
<coordinates>-3.51972,56.00399,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
</Folder>
</Document>
</kml>

As posted above I saved muliple POI's from POI Editor to my PC and then to a USB and copied them to the Sat Nav, I even told my dealer how to do it. I do hope you can still do this on my new Tucson due to pick up on the 28th.
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

On your old Tucson, were these locations showing up as POIs on the map if you used things like the "Places near me" type search, or were you accessing them through your saved/favourite locations?

I ran out of energy earlier, my plan has been to mess with the details in the JSON file to see if it actually affected the POIs being displayed, but I'm wondering if that isn't what was happening in your old Tucson. Simply because the details in the kml file above wouldn't let the navigation system know what POI category the entry would go in.

If you could describe what steps you took to upload these kml files to your Tucson, I'd be happy to follow them and let you know the outcome. Also, did you save each location from POI Editor to its own kml file and add them all to a USB drive? (So you might have had "blackness castle.kml", "ochiltreecastle.kml", and "rosythcastle.kml".) Or did you add all of your POIs to a list on the website, and have it saved them to a single kml file?

(Edit: Just noticed Phil's reply... Great minds think alike :lol: and evidently, suffer from insomnia alike :shock: )
Last edited by GrumpyDad on Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

MikeSwift wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:36 am As posted above, I saved multiple POI's from POI Editor to my PC and then to a USB and copied them to the Sat Nav.
Some Questions:-

What did you name the .KML file :?:
Did you put it in a particular folder/directory on the USB stick :?:
Where did it "end up" in the Navigation System menu (Favourites/Saved Places etc) :?:

The .KML file produced by POI Editor is very sparse (and uses an earlier schema version) compared with the output from Google Earth, so that could be a factor too.

POIs can always be sent to the car via Bluelink - though only things it knows about (it doesn't know about my nearest two petrol stations, but does know about one that closed years ago :roll: ). It may be possible to subvert the Bluelink connection to send them without using the Bluelink app.

There is an 'Integration' for Home Assistant, documented here: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/k ... ion/297927

EDIT: Bit of duplication with previous post - both typing at the same time :)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post