Cruise control differences?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
deh

Post by deh »

Hi all,

I am considering replacing my VW T-Cross with a Tucson so thank you all for this forum, as I have been taking in lots of info!

I am unclear in the cruise control feature, please could you clarify the difference between Cruise Control on the lower trims versus smart adaptive speed control?

What I like in my VW is the adaptive cruise control which maintains speed and keeps distance from the car in front, making is very easy on motorways particularly. It doesn’t sound like Hyundai’s cruise control does the maintaining distance part?

This difference would sway me up the trim level or not. Thanks in advance.

Daniel.
2022 Tucson Premium 2WD Petrol Auto

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

I have the Ultimate and it has Adaptive cruise control like you mention above. I don't know what's in the other trims.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Pogleswood

Post by Pogleswood »

The Ultimate trim has Adaptive cruise control the same as your VW, as an added bonus it also works in city driving with slow traffic bringing the vehicle to a complete stop and then moving off again once the car in front does, this takes a bit of getting used too & confidence in the car makes life in busy traffic so much less stressful.
ExTyke

Post by ExTyke »

Absolutely agree @Pogleswood. I didn't think I needed Adaptive Cruise Control until I got it. It's great on motorways to Manage safe distancing even better in slow traffic. My only complaint is that it's not good at spotting slow traffic from far enough out and then tends to brake very sharply. So when I see trouble ahead I'm now inclined to take over early. I'm not sure I'd want another car without it now.
Ultimate PHEV in Dark Knight

Ordered 6th Aug 2022
Arrived Tilbury 6th June 23
Collected by me :D 18 June 23
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Adaptive Cruise Control is called "Smart Cruise Control (SCC)" in the Hyundai/Kia world. It is very similar to the system that was on my previous Honda, but with an additional feature whereby it reads road signs and offers a quick change to the new limit.

In addition to the Ultimate trim, it is definitely implemented on the N line S (but not the N Line).

Here's a video (though there are implementation differences on the Tucson)

There is a ridiculous disclaimer, to not use it in Heavy or Varying traffic - the very conditions where it comes into its own :roll:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
deh

Post by deh »

Thanks all for your input.

It is even more clever, reading off the speed signs abs making adjustments. Barely have to drive the thing by the sounds! 😉 I certainly wouldn’t want to be without that adaptive nature having experienced it for a couple of years.

I test drove a hybrid N Line S and liked it a bit much!

Presumably the “Cruise Control” is simply selecting a set speed without needing the accelerator pedal?
2022 Tucson Premium 2WD Petrol Auto
ExTyke

Post by ExTyke »

Yep. The basic cruise control is fairly standard. When you turn it on it sets at the current speed. You can also pause it and resume the last set speed. The big difference is that it will invite you to raise or lower the speed to the current speed limit. On motorways it will automatically reset the speed for changes in the limit - although I find it's better to do that myself sometimes as I know a few places where the speed cameras are on the first gantry where the change in limit cones into force.
Ultimate PHEV in Dark Knight

Ordered 6th Aug 2022
Arrived Tilbury 6th June 23
Collected by me :D 18 June 23
andrewsmith

Post by andrewsmith »

deh wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:52 am

It is even more clever, reading off the speed signs abs making adjustments. Barely have to drive the thing by the sounds! 😉 I certainly wouldn’t want to be without that adaptive nature having experienced it for a couple of years.
Yeah - they pretty much drive themselves except when the car in front goes around a sharp bend and disappears from your radar when it panics!
XADE

Post by XADE »

Be aware this is NOT on the ICE Ultimate just the hybrids. I thought I would really miss it but I barely do any motorway driving now so only on holidays would it become useful to me.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
dylan2910

Post by dylan2910 »

Absolutely agree @Pogleswood. I didn't think I needed Adaptive Cruise Control until I got it. It's great on motorways to Manage safe distancing even better in slow traffic. My only complaint is that it's not good at spotting slow traffic from far enough out and then tends to brake very sharply. So when I see trouble ahead I'm now inclined to take over early. I'm not sure I'd want another car without it now.
[/quote]

The distance for adaptive control can be changed, Just scan the owners manual in the info screen, there should be instruction on how to change the distance

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post