Brakes groaning

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Lesd

Post by Lesd »

Hi guys

I have a 2023 Premium Hybrid, took delivery as new in May this year. Since new I have noticed that the brakes ‘groan’ in certain circumstances such as:

1. When first using the car after it has been parked up i.e. leave car on drive, next day use car and when you take your got off the brake pedal.
2. When at a standstill at traffic lights or at a junction (not so noticeable with this scenario, much more subtle)
3. When reversing or going forward from a sloping standstill.

The noise in examples 1 and 3 is quite noticeable. Once you start driving there are no noises, even when braking, it’s only after standing still, especially after parking up for a while.

Are these sounds normal? I asked my dealer to look at it but they said they would charge me an hourly rate for the noises are not a warrantable issue. However I persuaded them to do a test drive, without cost, and assuming they did it they tell me all is fine. But the groans are still there and embarrassing at times.

I’ve not known this on other cars I have owned but the dealers say Hybrids make all sorts of different noises and this is one of them as the brakes are not used in the same way as a traditional petrol car, the brakes being electronically assisted, not sure about that reasoning though.

The groan could even be described as a crunch.

Thanks
Les
Tucson Hybrid 230hp, Premium spec

Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

I don’t think it sounds normal, I don’t get any noise from the brakes on mine.
Are you using auto-hold or keeping your foot on the brake? Just wondering if it’s related to auto hold being a bit keen and hanging on the brake pressure as you start to move off.
Lesd

Post by Lesd »

Hi Mar10

Thanks for the reply.

No not using Autohold and do not leave foot on brake. This noise is only after the car has come to a standstill and you release your foot off the brake pedal, at say lights or a junction or when the car is first used in the morning or after returning to the car when parked up. There is no noise during normal operation i.e. driving.

The dealership don't want to know and I am already beginning to wonder if I chose the right place to buy the car. I don't think the noises are correct and so it seems as though I will have to battle things out with Hyundai, who I know will say go to the dealers, and the dealers. I don't see why the dealers are being so awkward and don't appreciate I have spent £36k on a car!

I shall see how things go.

Thanks
Les
Tucson Hybrid 230hp, Premium spec
Al94

Post by Al94 »

Mine does it and the dealer's response was "they all do it"!
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

I agree with the dealer comment ... in some situations mine (23' Hybrid) gives a little groan sometimes when brakes release.
3puddings

Post by 3puddings »

Mine does the same sometimes.
2023 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Premium 230 BHP
Nashy

Post by Nashy »

I’ve posted before on this, had loads of groaning and scraping like noises for the first 20k seems to have gone now other than damp cold mornings
Still have original pads and disks are fine at 32k
TUCSON, PHEV Ultimate in Black
Ordered 21/02/2022
Arrived Tilbury Docks 06/09/2022
Arrived Dealers 19/10/2022
Delivered 07/11/2022 had 8 miles on clock
David3

Post by David3 »

Ours is the same some days seem worse than others we noticed it straight away as we were leaving the dealership after picking the car up but never noticed it on the test car which had around 6k on it so as already been mentioned maybe they just need some miles on them to bed them in
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next year🙈😂
Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

David3 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:48 pm Ours is the same some days seem worse than others we noticed it straight away as we were leaving the dealership after picking the car up but never noticed it on the test car which had around 6k on it so as already been mentioned maybe they just need some miles on them to bed them in
Nope. Mine still does it after 18000 miles. But it only happens at slow speeds, or if you are just lightly applying them like in traffic etc. I put it down to a quirk of the car that will perhaps be sorted out on future models. As long as it stops the car then I can put up with the small idiosyncrasies as overall the rest is great. 😁
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post