Forward Safety system disabled. Radar blocked.

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Dawdling along at about 25mph, but heading for 33mph via the Smart Cruise Control, I was suddenly confronted by a dash full of warning lights and the SCC dropped out.

A warning message said "Forward Safety system disabled. Radar blocked" (it didn't stay on the screen for long, I had to refresh my memory by reading the manual!). Since I was just leaving a village, I continued out into the open countryside - the car was driving normally, but SCC wouldn't operate (lots of error icons were still displayed.

On reaching the next village I stopped and inspected the front of the vehicle; there was nothing to see. At this point, I enacted a highly technical procedure: I switched the car off and back on :roll:
'Problem' cured :?

Road conditions were fine and dry.

Maybe I could pay a Hyundai dealer £117 to run diagnostics, to tell me what the car thought the problem was :?: ...
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

Berty

Post by Berty »

I had this also pop up the other day but in my case it was foggy, medium fog, not enough to have my rear fogs on but I figured the camera/sensor didn't like the fog but as soon as I cleared said fog the error went away.

Red triangle symbol I had in a location of the dash I've never seen a error located before. I thought there was a more major issue but as I say the fog cleared and so did the error.

I don't have smart cruise control either but had the same error.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
XADE

Post by XADE »

A leaf or bug over the sensors probably? Surely that's the most logical explanation.

Stick some tape over them and go for a drive.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Philr

Post by Philr »

:lol: You both passed thru a portal that puts you in a parallel universe.
Hyundai will respond to your every question within 5 minutes, dealerships will bend over backwards to help with any problems and there won't be any potholes. :lol:
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

XADE wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:23 am A leaf or bug over the sensors probably? Surely that's the most logical explanation.

Stick some tape over them and go for a drive.
Well, yes, if I were to cover the Radar module with something 'radar reflecting', I might expect to trigger some errors. But when I stopped the car to inspect for obstructions, there were none to be seen (and the error condition still existed).

If something sizeable had temporarily obstructed the Radar module (and thus generated a reflection), you might have expected the car to act on it - i.e. Enter full-blown Collision Avoidance, but it didn't. I can't quite imagine what the Radar 'sees', when the road ahead is completely clear (you'd think there'd just be no reflected signal).

Yet, it seemed to know that it wasn't seeing the road ahead and that it wasn't seeing an object ahead either (or at least, not an object at a plausible distance, or maybe not one that was getting ever closer).

I'll have to go read up about car Radar modules :?
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Philr

Post by Philr »

Slightly more seriously than my last entry I suspect that there is more to it than a radar system. How does the automatic main beam/dip system work? That must be a camera of some sort so it may be that there is some sort of visual input as well.
We had a Suzuki Vitara before the Tuscon and the radar system on that would shut off in heavy rain, if there was ice or snow on it, even if it was dirty - the sensor was behind the big badge in the front grill. When this happened the cruise control wouldn't engage but everything else was fine. The fix was to stop the rain :-) then it would eventually allow the CC to engage but only after 30 mins or so or, clear the snow/ice, or clean it which would both involve turning it off and on.
The turn it off and then back on again to reset it really shouldn't be a surprise.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
roadster

Post by roadster »

I had this problem when my new car was delivered to me. It turned out that they had fitted the front number plate too low and it interfered with the radar area which is the flat black area below the bumper. It is apparently a very marginal available space. I have only had one instance of these messages popping up since then and this was in a torrential rain storm. Is it conceivable that a plastic bag or similar became temporarily caught there?
Tucson PHEV Premium
Al94

Post by Al94 »

roadster wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:22 am I had this problem when my new car was delivered to me. It turned out that they had fitted the front number plate too low and it interfered with the radar area which is the flat black area below the bumper. It is apparently a very marginal available space. I have only had one instance of these messages popping up since then and this was in a torrential rain storm. Is it conceivable that a plastic bag or similar became temporarily caught there?
That is interesting!
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

roadster wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:22 am Is it conceivable that a plastic bag or similar became temporarily caught there?
I've just realised that such an event might have been captured on the dash cam - I'll have a look to see if I've still got the footage...

Updated: No, too late - already overwritten.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post