3 pin charger options

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
ScottyR81

Post by ScottyR81 »

So, my £44k brand spanking new tucson ultimate phev didn't come with a 3 pin charger which I think is very wrong when you're spending that much...

Looking at buying one and searching ebay for that bargain... there's so many! Is there a specific "1" it needs to be, for example close to where I live is one listed as

"GENUINE HYUNDAI IONIQ HOME/PORTABLE UK 3PIN EV CHARGING CABLE 91670-K4060 - 73"

Would this one work fine?

Berty

Post by Berty »

I'm sure most granny cables would work fine but the OEM part number is 91996-G1050 which is the part number on my own original 3 pin.

You should ensure a cable can pull 10amps as some cables allow lower amps which mean it can take longer to charge. OEM cable allows 10amps which is still around 6.5hrs to charge from empty.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Berty wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:48 pm You should ensure a cable can pull 10amps as some cables allow lower amps which mean it can take longer to charge. OEM cable allows 10amps which is still around 6.5hrs to charge from empty.
I don't have a PHEV, but I'm curious...

I read here:
In the UK the charger is limited to draw no more than 10A (2.3kW). This is because whilst a UK 13A plug can supply 13A for short periods of time, it may overheat if that amount of current is drawn for longer periods of time. Some non-compliant models may have a button which changes the current from 10A to 13A; under no circumstances use the 13A mode, as it is likely to lead to damage to the plug/socket.
My other half has a Pottery Kiln. It is rated at 13A and plugs into a normal domestic socket. Depending on the program in use, it may draw that current for long periods of time, sometimes consuming 16 kWh. :!:
No damage to plug/socket has occurred thus far - though the plug top does get warm. The house is only 5 years old, so the wiring is in good condition and to the latest regulations.

Is there some EV-specific regulation of which I am unaware, or are they just being overly-cautious :?:

[Updated: energy usage]
Last edited by PhilHornby on Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Should all be the same, I'd bet they say 'for car x' to help manipulate searches. As long as it has a type 2 plug it should be universal. I got mine from Screwfix as it has a nice green cable to help prevent forgetful human tripping in the dark.

The pottery kiln probably only uses 13a when warming up, when warm it'll be cycling on and off to maintain a temperature like an oven does
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate
Nashy

Post by Nashy »

I've been charging mine 5 days a week average since i had the car on a 3 pin plug in work at 10 amps with no issues

I do think that's its poor service for Hyundai to not provide you both cables, same with the kia Sportage for one of my mates he wasn't given a 3 pin either

If anyone is thinking of getting a plug in now, they should do a deal with the dealer to make sure they get one "in my opinion"
TUCSON, PHEV Ultimate in Black
Ordered 21/02/2022
Arrived Tilbury Docks 06/09/2022
Arrived Dealers 19/10/2022
Delivered 07/11/2022 had 8 miles on clock
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

DrElectron wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:27 am The pottery kiln probably only uses 13a when warming up, when warm it'll be cycling on and off to maintain a temperature like an oven does
No, its characteristics are nothing like an oven. Maintaining a temperature is something it can do, along with climbing or falling at a specific rate, but this is not the taxing part of their workload. They spend many, many hours on FULL power - spending that time climbing to in excess of 1200°C.

If I had a 'granny charger' that was running at 13A, I might be inclined to remove the plug and wire it to a fused spur, for no other reason than to make the connection more robust; given that it would be likely to be used a lot more often than something like a kiln.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
peteS

Post by peteS »

I'm charging mine from a 3 pin we have from our BMW i3S - no problem at all.
2023 PHEV Ultimate with Tech Pack - Dark Knight
NLineS

Post by NLineS »

We've had our PHEV for just over 12 months now and it came with the 3pin charger. We've never used this 3pin charger as we have a 7kw Pod Point charger at home.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post