Second service OIL!

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Wersi

Post by Wersi »

Thanks RichyH for the report on wrong oil
I also bought the 1.6 N-line hybrid from Cars2
four months ago so will keep an eye on them when the service time comes around.
Last edited by Wersi on Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson N-Line Hybrid 230
Shimmering Silver
Bought new on 31/3/23

UK

Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

PhilHornby wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:58 pm They're not the only ones who are confused.

Halfords doesn't think 0W-20 is suitable for my Tucson!

(Clicking the link to find one that is, reveals: NONE)

Mobile1.jpg
And the link takes you to none as you said but they suggest Magnatec 5W 30???

Checked my 1st service and all it says is Castrol Magnate Bulk, so I'm betting it's out of a barrel of 5w30. Will need to check with the dealership (Eden) what they used.
Last edited by Southern Lad on Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey
Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

Just to confuse things further, although this is Canadian/American its worth a read.

https://www.worldsbestoil.ca/which-30-w ... erformance.
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey
Philr

Post by Philr »

That's Halfrauds for you. The Mobil 1 0w20 exceeds the specs listed in the car handbook on pg 2-24.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
hansflw

Post by hansflw »

Just called up Hyundai Chelmsford again (finally managed to speak to the service manager) and he's adamant that 5w30 is correct, and explained again that only the n-lines take 0w20 given that it's a performance vehicle. I thought this was mentioned earlier in the thread too and when pressed that the n-line and ultimates have effectively the same engine, the service manager again doubled down that he's right. Think I'll avoid Hyundai Chelmsford in the future.....
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Given that all my services will be with Hyundai, if they decide to use the wrong oil, they cannot blame me if it breaks down. ANd honestly, the difference between -20 and 5-30 is minimal as far as I know.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
hansflw

Post by hansflw »

Correct - no doubt that if anything happens, all fingers will be traced to the service that was provided by Hyundai dealers. However, I do think that prevention is better than cure, and I'd like to keep this car for a fair number of years to come! Appreciate that yes, there may be minimal differences between 0w20 and 5w30, but I also do a number of short frequent trips in the car, and I think the slightly thinner 0w20 would be more suited to my use in the long term.

All this is of course based on what I understand so far, and not backed up by any in-depth engineering analysis etc... Long way of saying that I'm probably not the most authoritative source to say what's right/wrong etc
physio49

Post by physio49 »

hansflw wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:36 am Correct - no doubt that if anything happens, all fingers will be traced to the service that was provided by Hyundai dealers. However, I do think that prevention is better than cure, and I'd like to keep this car for a fair number of years to come! Appreciate that yes, there may be minimal differences between 0w20 and 5w30, but I also do a number of short frequent trips in the car, and I think the slightly thinner 0w20 would be more suited to my use in the long term.

All this is of course based on what I understand so far, and not backed up by any in-depth engineering analysis etc... Long way of saying that I'm probably not the most authoritative source to say what's right/wrong etc
Having started this thread I was rung up by the CEO of the Hyundai dealers to say that 5w-30 is the wrong oil - and to return my car to the dealer and have the correct 0-20 filled after flush and new oil filter! Apparently there MAY be a connection to blocked DPF when using the 5-30. He was most apologetic that I had been fobbed of.
So, whilst I am aware of the slight difference in the oils, it is enough it would seem to be of concern. I for one, are now happy to have the right one.
hansflw

Post by hansflw »

Yeap - was glad to read that a few posts ago that all has been sorted for you :) This forum has been a treasure trove of information!
RichyH

Post by RichyH »

Took my car in to Cars 2 in Wakefield yesterday for the oil change to 0w20, all went well but they still seemed sure that the 5w30 was a better oil.I just told them that if it states in the handbook which oil to use then that’s what I want.
2022 Tucson N line S white
Yorkshire

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post