Second service OIL!

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

I've included this from my user manual. It's the line that states. 'Any oils of any viscosity other than those recommended could result in engine damage' that would worry me. My car is a 2021 model and manufacturers do update the manuals occasionally so I have no idea if 2022/2023 manuals differ. However, as it stands, I would expect my car to be filled with 0W20 unless the dealer can show me an 'official', rather than 'it'll be ok' reason for a different oil.

20230714_130539.jpg

20230714_130552.jpg

3puddings

Post by 3puddings »

They obviously get SAE 5-30 oil cheaper in a drum than the 0-20. Oils expensive nowadays as we all know, its a bit more profit for them. I bet they charged you 'per separate litre' as well from the drum, charging as if they used 4 or 5 separate bottles.
Look on the which Shell engine oil website it shows 0-20 hybrid oil, Castrol and Mobil websites also says 0-20 oil
2023 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Premium 230 BHP
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

'Just Hyundai' used this oil in my car:
Total Quartz Ineo Xtra HKR C5 0W-20. They need to come up with a longer name!!

And here is the marketing blurb ...... 'A synthetic engine oil of superior performance designed for the latest generation of Diesel and Gasoline engines of premium car manufacturers. Quartz Ineo Xtra HKR C5 0W-20 meets the latest API SP and ILSAC GF6 sequences, providing protection against LSPI (Low Speed Pre-ignition)'

Dealer charged me as below as part of the service.

20230714_161147.jpg

physio49

Post by physio49 »

Thanks for the info re oil grade - please keep them coming with where it was done, so I can go back to Hyundai UK with the info.
Thanks,
Rob
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Just checked my last service receipt ands they say they used FUCHS 0W20
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

The manual for the MY22 car is slightly different, in that it says:-

Tucsoil.jpg

The Maintenance Procedure is quite clear though :-

TucsManual.jpg

No mention whatsoever of 'overfilling' :shock:

what-happens-when-you-put-too-much-oil-in-your-car
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
hansflw

Post by hansflw »

Just adding to this as well - went in for first service 2 weeks ago (Hyundai Chelmsford), and was given 5w30 oil. When I queried the service desk (ie flagging that the manual states 0w20) they explained that on their drop down list of parts to replace for the car etc, they only have the option for 5w30 and not 0w20. Not sure what everyone thinks - whether I've been fobbed off by the dealer? Or genuine explanation....

I've been reading a little online about the differences between the oils, and it seems that ambient temperature is the greatest factor, and given the somewhat temperate-ish climate for the UK, 5w30 may very well be fine? Not sure - happy for others to weigh in!
Philr

Post by Philr »

Personally I don't think it matters whether it's 5w30 or 0w20.
The actual oil viscosity difference between the 2 is minimal, see here for a reasonable explanation of oil viscosity numbers and what they signify
https://xpslubricants.com/us/en/blog/po ... -important
but given that these engines aren't used in a race environment and therefore aren't being constantly used at or near max power/performance I'm not concerned about it other than what Hyundai will say if ever a warranty claim was made that involved the engine.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

hansflw wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:47 pm Just adding to this as well - went in for first service 2 weeks ago (Hyundai Chelmsford), and was given 5w30 oil. When I queried the service desk (ie flagging that the manual states 0w20) they explained that on their drop down list of parts to replace for the car etc, they only have the option for 5w30 and not 0w20.
This is one for Hyundai to answer - they appear to be telling their dealers and customers different things :!:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
hansflw

Post by hansflw »

Philr wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:16 pm Personally I don't think it matters whether it's 5w30 or 0w20.
The actual oil viscosity difference between the 2 is minimal, see here for a reasonable explanation of oil viscosity numbers and what they signify
https://xpslubricants.com/us/en/blog/po ... -important
but given that these engines aren't used in a race environment and therefore aren't being constantly used at or near max power/performance I'm not concerned about it other than what Hyundai will say if ever a warranty claim was made that involved the engine.
Fair point regarding the warranty. I rang up another hyundai dealer this morning to ask about the oil and they flagged the same point re warranty. No conclusion there, hah. But they did agree that 0w20 should have been put in by the dealer who serviced my car l

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post