MHEV mpg / energy recovery

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
md2609

Post by md2609 »

So i have had my Ultimate MHEV 180 DCT AWD for 6 days now and just thought that i would pass on what i have observed regarding the electric motor/energy recovery/mpg.

For the first few days i ran in ECO mode and averaged 30-32mpg - whilst observing the energy flow graphic i noticed that the electric motor never kicked in to assist the engine at all. It harvested the energy to enable the 'sailing' function, which is basically when it turns the engine off and coasts towards a junction etc when the accelerator is released (the battery powers the steering, brakes etc).

I have been running in in Normal mode for the last few days and the difference is very noticeable. The electric motor assists from standstill and under acceleration, which has resulted not only in a smoother ride but also the average mpg jumping up to 35-36mpg.

I think that ECO mode would work best on motorways etc, but for normal everyday mixed driving, Normal mode is definately the way to go.

I find it slightly odd that the ECO mode is not the most economical mode for mixed driving, anyway, i hope this helps someone.

Us MHEV drivers are in the minority and there doesnt seem to be a great deal of information out there about the drive modes etc.

XADE

Post by XADE »

There's got to be something wrong with the MHEV if it's doing this? I am getting 35-40mpg in a standard petrol engine, always set to ECO.

Granted everyone's driving techniques and conditions/roads vary wildly, but surely that's nowhere enough to warrant a hybrid as a good choice in the UK, especially given the additional cost and wait times.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

XADE wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:50 pm There's got to be something wrong with the MHEV if it's doing this? I am getting 35-40mpg in a standard petrol engine, always set to ECO.

Granted everyone's driving techniques and conditions/roads vary wildly, but surely that's nowhere enough to warrant a hybrid as a good choice in the UK, especially given the additional cost and wait times.
Sounds fairly normal. I had a loaner i20 MHEV, and the car behaved in the same way as the OP’s.

Coming from a hybrid I was initially a little surprised, but the MHEV’s battery is only there to support the ICE.
md2609

Post by md2609 »

XADE wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:50 pm There's got to be something wrong with the MHEV if it's doing this? I am getting 35-40mpg in a standard petrol engine, always set to ECO.

Obviously the AWD and extra power (180 bhp) contribute to the lower mpg.

For a big, heavy AWD SUV with a petrol engine i dont think its too bad tbh. In terms of fuel costs it matches my old Octavia vrs diesel DSG which used to average 40ish mpg.
XADE

Post by XADE »

md2609 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:26 pm

For a big, heavy AWD SUV with a petrol engine i dont think its too bad tbh. In terms of fuel costs it matches my old Octavia vrs diesel DSG which used to average 40ish mpg.
Think my main issue is that I've come from a much older Qashqai but that gave me between 55-60mpg for diesel. I just don't get how MHEV tech in general gives so little, maybe it's just a winter thing.
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

XADE wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:21 pm

Think my main issue is that I've come from a much older Qashqai but that gave me between 55-60mpg for diesel. I just don't get how MHEV tech in general gives so little, maybe it's just a winter thing.
This may be a good explainer - https://www.hyundai.news/eu/articles/pr ... ystem.html
XADE

Post by XADE »

richarde wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:40 pm
XADE wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:21 pm

This may be a good explainer - https://www.hyundai.news/eu/articles/pr ... ystem.html
Yeah I remember seeing this.

The mini dilemma I had was between ICE (3 week delivery) or MHEV (8-10months delivery), and how much difference there would be cost wise.

It looked to be only the 10-15% saving in fuel (and a few bits like remote start / auto gearbox), which probably works out over the year. It wasn't worth the wait or fuel saving for me, but I'd love a full electric version for my next car.
14ay

Post by 14ay »

md2609 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:19 am So i have had my Ultimate MHEV 180 DCT AWD for 6 days now and just thought that i would pass on what i have observed regarding the electric motor/energy recovery/mpg.

For the first few days i ran in ECO mode and averaged 30-32mpg - whilst observing the energy flow graphic i noticed that the electric motor never kicked in to assist the engine at all. It harvested the energy to enable the 'sailing' function, which is basically when it turns the engine off and coasts towards a junction etc when the accelerator is released (the battery powers the steering, brakes etc).

I have been running in in Normal mode for the last few days and the difference is very noticeable. The electric motor assists from standstill and under acceleration, which has resulted not only in a smoother ride but also the average mpg jumping up to 35-36mpg.

I think that ECO mode would work best on motorways etc, but for normal everyday mixed driving, Normal mode is definately the way to go.

I find it slightly odd that the ECO mode is not the most economical mode for mixed driving, anyway, i hope this helps someone.

Us MHEV drivers are in the minority and there doesnt seem to be a great deal of information out there about the drive modes etc.
Thank you for your post.

I have a Ultimate MHEV 180 DCT AWD on order and it will be arriving Early March 2023, However one of the sales team has advised me to change my order to PHEV AWD as they do 50MPG and has a canceled order white one arriving mid March. The sales man tells me the 180 DCT AWD only delivers 25MPG and that the DCT has now been discontinued due to this! and said he is doing me a favour letting me know about it.

I do not want to pay the extra for the PHEV But 25MPG.. Is this normal

As you say most on here are HEV drivers and as helpful they are I wondered if you would be able to give me an update on your MHEV experience two months on?

Thanks

Alan
md2609

Post by md2609 »

14ay wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:00 pm
md2609 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:19 am So i have had my Ultimate MHEV 180 DCT AWD for 6 days now and just thought that i would pass on what i have observed regarding the electric motor/energy recovery/mpg.

Thank you for your post.

I have a Ultimate MHEV 180 DCT AWD on order and it will be arriving Early March 2023, However one of the sales team has advised me to change my order to PHEV AWD as they do 50MPG and has a canceled order white one arriving mid March. The sales man tells me the 180 DCT AWD only delivers 25MPG and that the DCT has now been discontinued due to this! and said he is doing me a favour letting me know about it.

I do not want to pay the extra for the PHEV But 25MPG.. Is this normal

As you say most on here are HEV drivers and as helpful they are I wondered if you would be able to give me an update on your MHEV experience two months on?

Thanks

Alan

So, i have now had the car 2 months and can report the following:

Average MPG is around 32mpg, i would class that as a good mix of journeys too.

On a good run i can average almost 40mpg

Around town i can average 18mpg.

I always run the car in Normal mode as ECO mode returns the horrific MPG results that the dealer has told you - mid to high 20's.

I dont think its too bad for a big, heavy AWD vehicle (the car is in constant 4wd below about 40mph). Its not great though, i will admit that.

If you work out the extra fuel costs vs cost of buying a hybrid or PHEV (inc cost of charging) i think you will be pleasantly suprised.

I worked out that it might cost me about £20 per month extra in fuel vs a HEV of the same spec level (which doesnt have AWD), both cars purchase prices are similar, so about £250 per year extra to run, but the MHEV's have AWD.

The MHEV beats the equivalent spec PHEV hands down on total cost as it is almost £4k more to buy - i would never recoup that extra outlay with the amount of miles i do (electric charging isnt cheap these days either).

Obviously, if you go over £40k RRP (Ultimate PHEV) then you are in the higher tax band too.

Hope this helps.
roadster

Post by roadster »

For reference my PHEV is used mainly for short journeys and in electric mode wherever possible. The instrumentation gives a meaningless overall consumption figure of 60 mpg after 12 months. In reality long journeys at motorway speed give a true fuel consumption of 40 mpg and mixed journeys give between 40 and 45. The only real benefit of plug in charging is that the engine is never used for the short trips except in very cold weather.

But comparing the mild hybrid to the ordinary hybrid there is a significant difference in actual fuel consumption with no messing about with charging. Even carrying the extra weight of the plug-in batteries the PHEV will still achieve 40 mpg locked in hybrid mode so the pure hybrid should be better than this.

The economics of each type will depend on your pattern of use. At standard domestic rate there is little or no saving in electric mode until you take account of the extra cost of running petrol for short journeys which would normally put a big hole in the economy and also wear the engine disproportionally.
Tucson PHEV Premium

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post