Location of car's sim card + European coverage

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Buster38

Post by Buster38 »

Tucson PHEV Ultimate - As I understand (which isn't usually correct), the car has a sim card somewhere built in. I am wondering what network the card uses and how does that work when travelling abroad? I am driving to Croatia in a few months and of course have to travel through several European countries to get there. If this was my mobile phone, I would be chopping around the different networks as I travel through them. How does the car cope with that? Also is the card linked with my bluelink account, in that it will expire in 5 years time if I don't meet the subscriptions? Happy to be told I am a numpty and the car doesn't work like this at all. Cheers.
265ps PHEV Ultimate

Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

Buster38 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:36 am Tucson PHEV Ultimate - As I understand (which isn't usually correct), the car has a sim card somewhere built in. I am wondering what network the card uses and how does that work when travelling abroad? I am driving to Croatia in a few months and of course have to travel through several European countries to get there. If this was my mobile phone, I would be chopping around the different networks as I travel through them. How does the car cope with that? Also is the card linked with my bluelink account, in that it will expire in 5 years time if I don't meet the subscriptions? Happy to be told I am a numpty and the car doesn't work like this at all. Cheers.
Have you noticed the SOS button near the front interior light switches? This is the Pan european ecall system that uses a SIM within the car to contact emergency services within Europe so as long as you have signal and the country's regs allow it, it should work.

Bluelink uses modem/SIM to connect to the car and indeed that will expire in 5 years from registration unless you subscribe. I don't know the location or who the provider is though. Are you interested/worried about something in particular?

From Hyundai: This technology allows customers to always be connected to their cars so conveniently thanks to an embedded in-car modem and SIM card, as well as through a companion app that links to a mobile network and OEM backend, without using their smartphone’s data plan.
Buster38

Post by Buster38 »

".........Bluelink uses modem/SIM to connect to the car and indeed that will expire in 5 years from registration unless you subscribe. I don't know the location or who the provider is though. Are you interested/worried about something in particular?"

Just a little nag in the back of my head wondering if I will get exactly the same (over the air) services with the car throughout Europe as I get at home. Thinking of traffic re-routes, weather, delays, door locking, car location finder, sending routes to the car etc etc. There are many restrictions & clauses to be aware of with personal mobile phone coverage, I wondered if the service provided by Hyundai would be exactly the same all over Europe and hop from one countries network to another without problem. As you say above, it is a Pan European emergency call system so that must mean the sim card does work in all regions as well. The curiosity side of me wondered where the Sim card is physically located, not that I'm going to be removing it at any time.
265ps PHEV Ultimate
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

I've not ventured abroad with my Tucson so perhaps others are better qualified to comment.

There are a few things of note:
If using the bluelink app from your mobile to check stuff or send addresses, if you are not connected to WiFi, then it will use your phones mobile data. Dependant on your mobile plan you could be hit with roaming charges. You can test this yourself , just turn off WiFi and turn off mobile data and Bluelink does not connect. Turn mobile data back on leaving WiFi off and Bluelink connects again. Kinda obvious I guess.

This is different from how the car connects to live services as that uses the modem/SIM in the car. As long as it works, there would be no charges for this as it's part of your 5 year subscription.

I suspect quite a number of people will use Google maps/waze via Carplay or AA but that too will use mobile data also, so same comment about potential roaming charges if abroad.

Any other comments/experiences from others?
old man

Post by old man »

I'm no technophobe but this all seems rather complicated to me. I'm not tied into a phone and data contract and as I cross the border from one country to the next, my phone informs me that the provider has changed and just carries on working as usual.
As for mapping, I found the installed mapping worked perfectly well last year. It's even easier since I discovered I can verbally tell the system where I want to go.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Aelking

Post by Aelking »

Driven to and from Poland a couple of times now, and no issues with Data, traffic or anything else
Adecastr

Post by Adecastr »

I did buy my Tucson in France at the end of last year but I live and drive in the Netherlands since and no issues at all.
Tucson plug-in hybrid, Phantom black color, full options (bought in France).