Panoramic glass roof insurance

The place to discuss everything else..
old man

Post by old man »

Does anyone know if any car insurance companies cover a panoramic glass roof ??
Reason I ask; Got the paperwork today for my car insurance renewal with a different company from last year and noticed that, whilst a sunroof is covered under glass, a panoramic glass roof isn't. I suspect this is standard policy, but thought I'd check.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

Berty

Post by Berty »

I checked and read my own insurance documents always fun, with AIG and it specifically says on mine(In Ireland but we might consider it could be universal to other countries as it's AIG) that they DO NOT cover sunroofs. They make absolutely no mention to pano roofs although in glass cover the do say windscreen or windows, considering it's not a window I guess they won't cover it.

It does also say they'll will cover fixing any damage to metal or paintwork caused by fitting or removing glass.

Funny one isn't it. Technically it's a "roof" so surely considered a body panel of sorts. I also searched the document for pano and roof and roof just says they don't cover if the "roof" is left open. So nothing in it for me anyway, so I shall assume my own insurance won't cover it. Don't have a pano roof anyway.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
old man

Post by old man »

Done a bit more research since posting and it would seem that most companies do not insure a glass panoramic roof as part of the glass cover. It would be covered as part of a normal bodywork claim, but that would entail paying a larger excess and other associated costs come renewal time. :o
Some people think that LV cover a pano roof, but I'm unable to reach them on a weekend. I've just asked for a quote with them, and it's reasonable, so if they they do cover a pano roof and I can withdraw from my current deal without penalty, then I'll go with LV.
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

after reading this I thought it best to read my own T&C's on my policy which is via the bank and it says,
If comprehensive cover and your claim is for the car windscreen, side windows
or rear windows or sunroof contact claims dept, you will not loose your no claims discount you will pay the excess on your schedule
old man

Post by old man »

NoTwOld wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:49 pm after reading this I thought it best to read my own T&C's on my policy which is via the bank and it says,
If comprehensive cover and your claim is for the car windscreen, side windows
or rear windows or sunroof contact claims dept, you will not loose your no claims discount you will pay the excess on your schedule

Be careful here, my query is about a panoramic glass roof, not the sunroof. With both my current policy and the new one, which are both with banks - Lloyds and Halifax, who are the same company but are using different underwriters - the glass sunroof is covered by the glass cover section, but the glass panoramic roof isn't.
A panoramic roof covers the whole roof of the car and is part of the structure and is therefore far more expensive to source and fit a new one than just a sunroof would be.
As far as I can ascertain, a replacement panoramic roof woould cost around £2000 + labour costs and that's why it's not generally covered by the g;ass section of a policy !!
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

The way I have read it the sunroof is covered under the glass section on T&C'S

But looking online at various posts the panoramic roof is part of the car structure, so if it went and you have comprehensive insurance you would need to claim as if you had an accident but have to pay the full excess to get it repaired voluntary and compulsory,

A lot of cars are a bit of both panoramic and sun roof combined as with my Tucson.
Berty

Post by Berty »

Is a roof that lets in sun a sunroof? If your roof opens is it a sunroof? Where does a sunroof end and a panoramic roof begin?
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
old man

Post by old man »

Berty wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:17 pm Is a roof that lets in sun a sunroof? If your roof opens is it a sunroof? Where does a sunroof end and a panoramic roof begin?
My car has a panoramic glass roof and incorporated in that is an opening glass sunroof. The glass sunroof is a separate entity and if broken, it can be removed from within the panoramic roof and replaced relatively easily and that's why it's included in the glass cover of a policy.
The panoramic glass roof is the whole roof of the car and costs much more to replace than the sunroof, hence why it's not normally covered in the glass section of a policy, but should be covered in the normal section of the policy as part of the structural bodywork and will be covered the same as a wing or a door.
old man

Post by old man »

For info; LV do cover the panoramic glass roof under the glass cover of their policies. This does not cover mechanical breakage e.g. if the electric motor that drives the sunroof and /or blind causes a breakage, then the pano roof won't be covered under the glass section, but if a stone breaks it, or if I drop a roof bar on it, then it is covered.
I have cancelled the policy I was about to take out with Halfax and I'm going with LV.
Last edited by old man on Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

I'm with LV for mine and this paragraph is from the Policy schedule

ENDORSEMENTS
110 Windscreen Cover

We will pay for breakage of glass in your car windscreen, windows and glass sunroof. We will also pay for
damage to your car's paintwork caused by broken glass. If no other damage has occurred the claim will not
affect your No Claim Discount. If the glass is replaced you will be required to pay the first £125 of the cost
(excess). You will not have to pay this sum if the glass is repaired rather than replaced. If you use our approved
windscreen supplier, cover is unlimited. If you use any other supplier the maximum we will pay is £100 after
the deduction of the £125 excess

So as Old man says it's covered by LV
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post