Question about hybrid push button auto gearbox

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

Aelking wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:35 am You vam set it to put the handbrale on when truning off. So when you oress the ignition to turn the car off, it automatically goes into park amd sets the handbrake.
Where is that setting?

madowl

Post by madowl »

richarde wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:01 am
Aelking wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:35 am You vam set it to put the handbrale on when truning off. So when you oress the ignition to turn the car off, it automatically goes into park amd sets the handbrake.
Where is that setting?
I haven't come across it on the Tucson either. On other cars though.
jasm

Post by jasm »

« does the handbrake engage when selecting park»
Yes, when you use de Auto Hold function (button).
Hyundai Tucson 2021 HEV 8-)
DR.Hodes

Post by DR.Hodes »

Just to add to this, I think the EPB is linked to the tilt sensor, if I put the car in park on the level the EPB does not engage, but when I park on my drive with a 5% downhill slop the EPB is automatically engaged with a message on the dash.

I have used neutral to roll the car down the drive a few feet without using the throttle.
Hybrid Ultimate Dark Knight
Steve K

Post by Steve K »

I'm new to these gearboxes but in the old school auto boxes you would use neutral when stopped in traffic with either your foot on the brake or handbrake on, if you stay in drive when stopped the car is still trying to drive but you are holding it back on the brake, this is not good fir the gearbox.
Park used to engage a parking pawl in the gearbox and there was an interlock so you had to apply football before selecting any gear. This was a safety feature to stop any gear being engaged by non driving occupants in the car inadvertantly moving the gear lever if you were not in the driving seat ie filling with fuel etc.
Steve K

Post by Steve K »

Should have read footbrake, not football.
madowl

Post by madowl »

Steve K wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:40 pm I'm new to these gearboxes but in the old school auto boxes you would use neutral when stopped in traffic with either your foot on the brake or handbrake on, if you stay in drive when stopped the car is still trying to drive but you are holding it back on the brake, this is not good fir the gearbox.
Park used to engage a parking pawl in the gearbox and there was an interlock so you had to apply football before selecting any gear. This was a safety feature to stop any gear being engaged by non driving occupants in the car inadvertantly moving the gear lever if you were not in the driving seat ie filling with fuel etc.
Think it is different for a Hybrid as when stopped you are essentially in EV mode.
SteevieWeevie

Post by SteevieWeevie »

My Tucson is the first automatic I’ve ever had and I really like it. Takes some getting used to but I think you will enjoy it as from my experience with it, it’s good.

I didn’t know what neutral was for either and after checking some YT vids my take away was the same as what others have posted here. For making it so the car can be pushed/rolled/towed.

Auto hold works well but the reason it doesn’t stay on between car ignition cycles I think is because it’s meant to be turned off when you are parking. This is especially the case if the parking manoeuvre involves perpendicular movement or reversing, because drive and reverse are designed to creep when you stop braking. Whereas if you have auto hold on, you actually need to depress the accelerator to get movement which, when it goes like poo off a shovel with even mild depressing, is probably a bit dangerous.
Tucson Ultimate Hybrid - Shimmering Silver

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post