FARADAY POUCH WARNING

The place to discuss everything else..
3puddings

Post by 3puddings »

I've read that faraday pouches wear out after time and don't work.
Well I bought a faraday pouch 12 months ago when I bought my Tucson and it worked perfectly. I kept testing it frequently.
Low and behold yesterday I tested it and it failed, the doors unlocked!
So beware and check your faraday pouches now and then, they do wear out!
2023 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Premium 230 BHP

Bagsy

Post by Bagsy »

Or just disable the keyless unlock each time you lock the car by pressing lock button followed by lock and unlock buttons together for 4 secs. Then double check by trying to unlock by pressing handle button whilst key is nearby.

Although being a bit paranoid I must admit I'm also still using a faraday pouch to be doubly sure. I got a set of 3 from Amazon for £3.99 and they work perfectly - 3-Pack Car Key Signal Blocker Pouch New Horrizon Store

Just a shame there's no method of 'permanently' disabling keyless locking in the settings.
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

With pouch failures, it is generally a case of the metal mesh lining breaking from fatigue, and giving the radio signals a path to get through. So a pouch is likely to fail the more often you need to access it. A more robust solution is a fully closing metal tin to keep your keyfobs in (Just be sure to test that the tin you choose is effective) as the hinges wont suffer from the metal fatigue caused by flexing that a pouch does.

That said, it is always prudent to test whatever method you use to protect your fobs on a regular basis. Of course, the new kid on the block (CAN Injection) means that all the metal tins and pouches in the world aren't going to help. That said, of course car manufacturers are already working on making that more difficult; it will be interesting to see whether any fixes (Most manufacturers are starting by encrypting CAN messages) will be (or indeed even if they can be) retroactively applied to vulnerable vehicles.

Right now, the most secure car is probably an old Ford Model T (given that the driving method is so radically different to modern cars).
2023 1.6 TGDi 150 Ultimate, manual 2WD in red, with black interior.

Fantastic gadgets and tech, shame about certain "Safety" features...
(Lane Keeping Assistance having to be manually disengaged every start up, I'm looking at you!)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post