New Tucson GPF light on

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

The accelerate/decelerate technique certainly works. It cleared the GPF light on my father's 2021 Tucson months ago and it hasn't reappeared since. As I also commented in another thread, my 2022 Tucson was suffering reduced fuel consumption and I anticipated the warning light and so got in first with a few fourth gear accelerate/decelerate cycles on the motorway. There was an immediate noticeable improvement in fuel economy and smoother running. These cars just don't suit frequent cold start short distance trips, but then that isn't good for any combustion engined car and an EV would be far more suitable if that's your useage
Tucson SE Connect 1.6 TGDI Manual, Shimmering Silver

Gasworx36

Post by Gasworx36 »

Hi I have just had GPF light come on for first time at 5000 miles. Just drove the car on motorway using the technique I found on Youtube. It worked very easily.

The light went out very quickly but I continued to drive the car for 30 mins to make sure the filter was cleared.
N line S 230 Dark Night Grey
XADE

Post by XADE »

Gasworx36 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:29 pm Hi I have just had GPF light come on for first time at 5000 miles. Just drove the car on motorway using the technique I found on Youtube. It worked very easily.

The light went out very quickly but I continued to drive the car for 30 mins to make sure the filter was cleared.
Yep, this is the correct advice, he's done an updated video for it.

It WAS the one thing that really annoyed me about the car, but very glad I can sort it now myself.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
thomas06

Post by thomas06 »

Twotone 1234 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:40 pm Hi guys 4th gear 4000rpm off throttle for few seconds then back on again...... keep going on n off.........it cleared my light :D :D
Hi, how long you have done this before the light is cleared
I already try it for a few times but with no success.
Not easy to do in traffic.
Next week I will give it a try in the evening.
thomas06

Post by thomas06 »

Dealer6885 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:44 am Hi all

I am from a Hyundai dealer, and this is a well known issue. They know there is a problem and are looking at it.

I have a 12 month old one that has had the light on 4 times in those 12 months and nothing I can do while driving will initiate a regeneration.

We haven't charged a single customer of ours to do a forced regeneration, and if your dealer is saying its chargeable then contact Hyundai Customer Services and kick up a fuss and don't take no for an answer.

Same with the dealer, don't just accept that it's chargeable, challenge them. All it needs is a couple of minutes time of a technicians time to initiate it on the computer and then park it up to run until it does its thing.
Are there any updates about this issue?
XADE

Post by XADE »

thomas06 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:35 pm
Twotone 1234 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:40 pm Hi guys 4th gear 4000rpm off throttle for few seconds then back on again...... keep going on n off.........it cleared my light :D :D
Not OP, but I have done it twice, warm up for 10-15mins, then run the high revs 40mph to 60-mph method above another 15mins. 'A' roads worked best for me as theres a good loop to do it. I also dropped to 3rd instead a few times so get more rev action.

You clear it by decelerating, so I sped up to 60mph in 3rd/4th then off for a few seconds. You have to keep it in gear, clutch up.
thomas06

Post by thomas06 »

XADE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:58 pm
Not OP, but I have done it twice, warm up for 10-15mins, then run the high revs 40mph to 60-mph method above another 15mins. 'A' roads worked best for me as theres a good loop to do it. I also dropped to 3rd instead a few times so get more rev action.

You clear it by decelerating, so I sped up to 60mph in 3rd/4th then off for a few seconds. You have to keep it in gear, clutch up.
It worked, the message is gone now. not sure what exactly helped. I first did the acceleration and release for a 15 km. this didn't end it yet. Then I started refueling, but this time I opted for E5 instead of E10. The next day, after a few km of highway and some extra engine braking, the message went away
XADE

Post by XADE »

thomas06 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:51 pm
XADE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:58 pm

It worked, the message is gone now. not sure what exactly helped. I first did the acceleration and release for a 15 km. this didn't end it yet. Then I started refueling, but this time I opted for E5 instead of E10. The next day, after a few km of highway and some extra engine braking, the message went away
You'll have cleared it almost to where the sensor thinks it should be, then cleared the rest the following day then.

Good job!
CypressPhil

Post by CypressPhil »

I keep getting the same problem and I've done 18,500. Hyundai brought out an update to help this problem. The light will come on and will start to regen the EPF/GPF. My has varied in distance in clearing the light. Sometimes it's cleared by the time I get to the motorway which is 45 mins away (I live in the South of the Lake District) or I drive to Lancaster (1hr 10mins) and back and it clears. Its a pain in backside as it happens every 10 to 12 weeks. It was even suggested to use the high end petrol as well but its changed nothing.
lynds1

Post by lynds1 »

Any others having to pay Hyundai for what my dealership says is a common problem with cars returned daily re carbon exhaust build up ? I have a petrol Tucson, 7,500 miles only, 2 & half years old. The exhaust warning light frequently
comes on & wont clear after a 150 mile run ! Nor a motorway run in 3rd gear recommended by them.

Dealership knew when selling me the Tucson my low mileage history but now won' t take blame for their cars doing this.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post