Security

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
AlexGB

Post by AlexGB »

My wife rarely uses my car but had to do so today for a long journey. Before leaving I started the car, then jumped into the passenger seat to give her a brief refresher on the various controls. Five minutes after she drove away I realised that I had the key in my pocket. I called her to get her to return to collect the key.
It worries me that she was able to drive away without the key. I naively thought that the security system would have had some sort of geofencing. Oh well. You live and learn.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Premium 5dr 2WD Auto

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

AlexGB wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:06 amIt worries me that she was able to drive away without the key.
That’s interesting as I imagined that a warning would flash up stating that the key was not present. Perhaps that would only occur after switching off and attempting to restart the car?

If the manufacturer were to incorporate a warning at least, or better still, disable the car from being driven away without the key present, that would be an improvement.

To quote that much-hackneyed expression, 'Every day’s a school day!'
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
AlexGB

Post by AlexGB »

She said the car was 'beeping' as she set off but that soon stopped. As you mention, she wouldn't have been able to restart to car after stopping. But that would have been nearly 100 miles from home. Had that been a thief, there would be little chance of seeing the car again.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Premium 5dr 2WD Auto
XADE

Post by XADE »

I'm not sure what the best way to deal with this would be, there's a big warning and visual aid to say the key isn't connected to the car. Should be enough.

Wish it wouldn't happen while I'm nipping inside for deicer or bringing the bin down the drive though.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

AlexGB wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:06 am My wife rarely uses my car but had to do so today for a long journey. Before leaving I started the car, then jumped into the passenger seat to give her a brief refresher on the various controls. Five minutes after she drove away I realised that I had the key in my pocket. I called her to get her to return to collect the key.
It worries me that she was able to drive away without the key. I naively thought that the security system would have had some sort of geofencing. Oh well. You live and learn.
Had this happen on a previous VW I used to own. Partner drove off and 15mins later I realised the key was in my pocket! A quick phone call to say pull over safely so that I can get the key to them. If they had turned the car off it would not and quite rightly, have started. I guess if the car just stopped with an outta range key, there would be a number of safety scenarios to consider.