2021 Tuscon Petrol Flap Not opening

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
JamesHood_84

Post by JamesHood_84 »

Hi all, I'm hoping someone else is having this issue.

My 2021 petrol Tucson petrol flap has decided to not open any more, I assume the catch is not working properly. I'm a bit concerned as I haven't been able to open it for a couple days now and fuel is running low.

I have tried spraying WD40 in through the gap but still not budging.

Thanks

James

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

JamesHood_84 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:54 pm My 2021 petrol Tucson petrol flap has decided to not open any more,
Welcome to the forum, ‘JamesHood_84’.

There is some history on problematic fuel filler flaps on this site which You can access using the search facility on this page. You would do well to have a read at the story. Rather than advise you to push and probe blindly, hoping that you can force the flap open, I suggest that if you have sufficient fuel in the tank, drive during opening hours to your nearest Hyundai dealership and ask that someone shows you how to access the fuel filler so you can fill up with fuel.

I’m sure the receptionist will coax one of the workshop chappies to come out and show you the way or open it for you. Once opened, they may suggest to you that there is a TSB on the fuel flap and that you may wish to book-in your car to have that attended to.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

JamesHood_84 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:54 pm Hi all, I'm hoping someone else is having this issue.

My 2021 petrol Tucson petrol flap has decided to not open any more, I assume the catch is not working properly. I'm a bit concerned as I haven't been able to open it for a couple days now and fuel is running low.

I have tried spraying WD40 in through the gap but still not budging.

Thanks

James
Not had this on mine but had the flap adjusted as it was sitting proud which seems to be common on Tucsons and Sportages.

My user manual shows an emergency fuel flap release in the boot BUT there is certainly no release on the full hybrid version (HEV) as I've checked and mine certainly does not. I think the PHEV may have one. Not sure about the petrol only version so worth a check if your running low on fuel.

I've not checked, but is their a fuse for the lock on the flap. Again, worth a check as if that's blown the flap will be locked. Check your user manual for the fuses.

Check this post: viewtopic.php?t=1405 or failing that , back to dealer OR could you potentially call out Hyundai assist (just check the T&Cs first)
Last edited by Deleted User 1711 on Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Somebody here had the lock on the fuel flap get out of sync with the door locks so that when the doors were unlocked the fuel flap was locked and vice-versa. So try opening it after locking the doors. And then unlock the car while the flap is open to try and get them back in sync
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

jarvis wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:58 pm Somebody here had the lock on the fuel flap get out of sync ...
Probably me :(

Actually, I had it happen again, the last time I refuelled:

I applied the Parking Brake, put the transmission in "P" which unlocked the doors and went to open the fuel flap. No joy, so locked car, then unlocked it and flap opened. Twenty seconds into refuelling, the doors locked themselves again (because I hadn't opened a door!). Had to then pause refuelling, unlock car and open and close back door (since SWMBO was sat in the car and didn't want to be deadlocked-in :roll: )
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
roadster

Post by roadster »

The flap sticks on mine even though it was supposed to be fixed on the last service. If you can here a click when the button is pressed the issue is mechanical and my work round is to carry an old store card which I jam in the gap at the back of the flap with just enough force to exert some leverage. then I return at press the button again. Hey-presto the flap opens and card falls to the ground. As I am using plug in electricity most of the time it can be months between fill-ups and the flap will be more likely to be stuck.
Tucson PHEV Premium

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post