Second service OIL!

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Had my car serviced by Hyundai Swindon (Pebley Beach). They used the correct grade of 0w20 but overfilled way over the maximum on the dipstick.
I ended up sucking out 500ml to get it back down to the F mark.
They also left the radiator fan disconnected.
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate

projectff

Post by projectff »

Resurfacing this thread as this has happened to me on my first service for my PHEV. Saw the service invoice had 5W-30 and queried it, even though manual says 0W-20,and they just yes that's the one.

For those that challenged this how did you go about doing this? Just speak to service manager, go to the top or ask Hyundai UK?
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

At this point, I would be tempted to go directly to Hyundai UK. They should have made clear to all service centres that the oil specification is not subject to interpretation. This sort of thing should not be happening, and once again it seems to be the ongoing, unspoken fight between engineers and mechanics. It strikes me that this is yet another case of "We [the mechanic] know better than the manufacturer of the engine", but I bet if you ask them to give you a statement in writing that they warrant the out of spec oil they have chosen will not damage your engine or exhaust system, to be replaced at their expense if it is, they will refuse.

It might be worth going to the upper management of the company that did the service, and explain that their service department is using out of spec products during servicing, and then fobbing off customers. It is very likely they don't know that it is happening. If you do, make sure to include copies of the oil specs from the Owner's Manual (Page 2-21 in the current version), and perhaps include this webpage, which details some of the damaged that can be caused by mechanics thinking they know better than the engineers: https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/how-c ... f-failure/

Physio49, who started this thread posted earlier (it's on page 4):
physio49 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:32 am Having started this thread I was rung up by the CEO of the Hyundai dealers to say that 5w-30 is the wrong oil - and to return my car to the dealer and have the correct 0-20 filled after flush and new oil filter! Apparently there MAY be a connection to blocked DPF when using the 5-30. He was most apologetic that I had been fobbed of.
So, whilst I am aware of the slight difference in the oils, it is enough it would seem to be of concern. I for one, are now happy to have the right one.
So maybe your service centre's upper management will be similar.
2023 1.6 TGDi 150 Ultimate, manual 2WD in red, with black interior.

Fantastic gadgets and tech, shame about certain "Safety" features...
(Lane Keeping Assistance having to be manually disengaged every start up, I'm looking at you!)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post