New car is mild hybrid, fuel economy terrible.

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
coffeemad1

Post by coffeemad1 »

July2023 Tucson 1.6 TGDi 48v MHD 180 N Line S

Previous car was ix35 2.0 CRDI 4wd which I loved. I’m struggling with its replacement.
2000 miles on clock now and averaging 29 mpg. I thought the MHD would be better than that. Any other owners out there? Am wondering if I’m doing something wrong, but am just not getting the mild hybrid thing, and what the benefits are?
2023 Tucson N Line S 48v MHD 4WD Phantom Black

Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

coffeemad1 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:50 pm July2023 Tucson 1.6 TGDi 48v MHD 180 N Line S

Previous car was ix35 2.0 CRDI 4wd which I loved. I’m struggling with its replacement.
2000 miles on clock now and averaging 29 mpg. I thought the MHD would be better than that. Any other owners out there? Am wondering if I’m doing something wrong, but am just not getting the mild hybrid thing, and what the benefits are?
Mine is just the standard petrol and i'm getting about 34mpg.... :|
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

coffeemad1 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:50 pm
2000 miles on clock now and averaging 29 mpg. I thought the MHD would be better than that. ?
I have the HEV rather than the MHEV and from a fuel economy perspective, it is clearly the model in the range (PHEV excepted) that provides the optimum economy as it really rewards sensible driving.

Having said that, like you, I would be most disappointed to see fuel usage as low as you have described. Nonetheless, I’m confident that you will see a noticeable improvement over the next few thousand miles as all the engine components ‘bed in’ and you adapt your driving style to match the engine’s power band.

Were I to take a guess, I’d imagine that the MHEV would average mid-30s over mixed terrain and measured over the whole four seasons. For a vehicle of that type, I’d say that would be reasonable. I never believe the numbers thrown up by the inbuilt fuel computer, preferring to rely on brim-to-brim refuelling and basic arithmetic for consistency.

I hope other forum readers pop up with figures for the MHEV which offer some reassurance for you.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Firstly your old car was a Diesel which I assume had some decent mileage on it, you aren't event going to get close to the fuel economy of that!
New cars fuel economy is usually worse until the engine is run-in a bit, expect some improvements up to about 10k miles.
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate
daibill

Post by daibill »

4WD as well though.. There have been a few other posts/threads on here complaining about the 180's mpg..
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
coffeemad1

Post by coffeemad1 »

Thanks everyone.
I wanted to stick with 4WD hence why I chose this model, but beginning to think we made the wrong choice. I seem to be lugging around the weight of 4WD and MHD with fuel economy really suffering. After waiting so long for it I’m trying to love it and will keep trying to get better at driving it to maximise fuel economy. And hopefully after a few thousand more miles things will improve.
2023 Tucson N Line S 48v MHD 4WD Phantom Black
XADE

Post by XADE »

Short trips kill the economy on these heavy cars unfortunately, I dip into the 30s easily when not motorway driving for a bit.

If you're nipping 3-4 miles to the shops etc it's probably not the car for you economy wise.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
David3

Post by David3 »

Just done the longest run so far only 77 miles on HEV but ranging from 30mph to 70mph and around the first 20 miles of up hill and down dale started with 9 miles of EV and finished with the same it did get up to 14 miles of EV after all of the hills but the end result was 45.8 mpg average for the journey tbh I'm happy with that as the car has only just covered 1000 miles two thirds of that has been battery only, the one thing I did notice was going up hill on the petrol engine it revved it's t i t s off I think there is another discussion on here somewhere about that so if someone could kindly point me in that direction I would be grateful
Many thanks

David
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next year🙈😂
Install3balls

Post by Install3balls »

Our 1.6 TGDi 48V MHD Ultimate 5dr 2WD DCT is doing around 29mpg...........shocking !!!!

My '80's 3.5 V8 did that and with the horsepower to justify it, our Audi 3.0 V6 does 38mpg with 255bhp

Personally I'm beginning to believe this EV malarkey is crap, why carry a battery that consumes the worlds resources and adds massive weight to the car when you need an engine to charge it anyway ? or one of the new fossil fuelled power stations for the plug in, its just energy transfer which uses and wastes energy in the process

Fuel consumption can easily be beaten by a modern diesel and with more torque and useability

I posted earlier on how crap I thought this car was but I hit the wall of "don't dis my car bro" stupidity

I obviously misunderstood that I'm not allowed to criticise when I think it was MY mistake to buy this lemon and it hurts everyone to be told ( I own one so I can comment )

The N line Hybrid does 49mpg, allegedly, according to Hyundai, yet the petrol does 46mpg, the range on electric only is about 9 miles without the using the engine so help me here ? WHY carry a battery around and pay £1000's extra for the privilege ?

I've already started counting the days until it's gone, 6 days and counting only another 1089 days to go
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Install3balls wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:42 pm I posted earlier on how crap I thought this car was but I hit the wall of "don't dis my car bro" stupidity

I've already started counting the days until it's gone, 6 days and counting only another 1089 days to go
Unfortunately, no one here can alleviate your pain :(

I just have to live with my disappointment - I wanted a Civic Type R, but SWMBO said "Tucson" :roll:

You're not going to keep updating your countdown, are you? :lol:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post