Imploding passenger rear window

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
MaB

Post by MaB »

Has anyone had a problem with their Hyundai Tucson window imploding whilst driving? We have tried to report this as a safety issue but to no avail. The CEO Ashley Andrew hasn’t responded to the email we sent to him either. Would be good to know if this is a one off in the uk. We have seen problems in the US.

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Never heard of this before.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

MaB wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:33 pm Has anyone had a problem with their Hyundai Tucson window imploding whilst driving?
As with ‘alan sh’, this is a new one on me.

I’m unclear about the window you mean. Is it the tailgate glass - the rear window - or do you mean the nearside window in the rear passenger compartment? ‘Imploding’ tends to suggest the window bursting inwards into the passenger space which could occur if struck by an external foreign body such as a stone, bullet or airgun pellet. I’d think you would be very aware if it were a bullet but the other sources are feasible.

I am unaware of any window glass self-destructing and I’m at a loss to understand your comment about the USA - do you have a link?
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Indalo wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:53 am I am unaware of any window glass self-destructing
Further to my last, I had forgotten that some KIA Sportage owners have had a problem with their panoramic sunroof shattering. From your description, I’m sure if it were that you refer to, then you would have specifically mentioned the roof area.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
MaB

Post by MaB »

It was the rear near side passenger door window.
Driving on motorway, no other vehicles and bang, imploding glass all over the back seat and passenger footwell. Hyundai arranged for the window to be mended but no one seems to be taking the safety issue seriously. We have emailed the chief executive Ashley Andrew (ashley.andrew@hyundai.co.uk) but no response. There concerns that the shards of glass could seriously injure someone if this happens again.
There have been cases in the US

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/ ... ng.661032/
MaB

Post by MaB »

You will see from the photos that the glass did not shatter into small pieces but there were some shards that could have caused injury.

b4fbddfd-3e0b-4b18-a8fd-4fe98a05158c.jpeg

42ec4e80-acb5-46db-b65c-c8ab82e19db6.jpeg

3d1b062e-c5ad-4bfc-85db-2226253bfbf1.jpeg

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

MaB wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:10 pm It was the rear near side passenger door window.
Driving on motorway, no other vehicles and bang, imploding glass all over the back seat and passenger footwell.
First of all, ‘MaB’, a belated welcome to the forum.

Many thanks for providing the extra information and for supplying the link to the US forum with its glass problems published. Now everyone can see clearly the dangerous result of a window bursting and spraying glass fragments into the seating area.

I note that all, or certainly most, of the complainants in that American forum referred to the Santa Fe model although there may be no particular significance in that - I should imagine that the same specification of glass is common across the SUV range. Apart from the obvious safety concerns that emanate from glass fragments, and possibly shards, flying at high speed into the car interior, I find the refusal, mentioned by some, to have the damage rectified under warranty particularly disturbing.

I could understand a reluctance to deny a warranty claim as flying debris is fairly common on many roads but, depending on the number of recorded instances, surely there has to come a point when a more forensic examination of the issue needs to be undertaken. The thought of very young children strapped into child seats being showered with fragmented glass is too horrible to contemplate.

The rear window blinds fitted to some models, if utilised, might help arrest at least some of the flying debris should an implosion as described occur; hardly a solution, I admit. However, some independent laboratory testing of Hyundai’s glass may reveal a reason behind the window glass bursting. I can only guess but perhaps the windows are under greater tension in the fully closed position than necessary? Perhaps we will never discover the cause but it really is a major cause for concern.

Thank you again for raising the issue in this forum. Let’s see if anyone else with a Tucson reports a similar experience.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post