Front Parking Sensor - Enable at low speed

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
ray.ward

Post by ray.ward »

One of my compromises about owning a Tucson was that the front parking sensors would only engage if you reversed first.

Having had a number of Nissans and cars from the VAG group I was surprised to see that both Hyundai and Kia didnt have this

However in going through the many options I stumbled upon a new setting under "Parking Safety"

you can enable them to be active at low speed

"Auto PDW (Parking Distance Warning) Automatic activation of PDW at low speeds"

Lets hope the Auto Hold ALWAYS ON is next on the list of magic to appear

(also seems that the screen is a real fingerprint magnet"

Screenshot 2023-10-05 152939.png

2023 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Premium 5dr 2WD Auto - Dark Knight

Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

My front sensors are active when i'm sitting in traffic, not just reversing.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

Yeah mine have always been active at low speed without reversing first too. Maybe it just depends on what was set at the factory or dealer first.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

I nearly ran over a small wall :oops: due to the front Parking Sensors being OFF. I (naturally!) accused the other-half of turning them off, but the root cause was that "Auto PDW" setting. It seems to be the case, that without the option ticked, the sensors are turned off once 'high' speed is reached and do not automatically re-engage at low speed :? .

The logic of this defeats me - previous cars have had a button to disable or enable the sensors, should you ever feel the need (as does the Tucson).

What problem is "Auto PDW" trying to solve :?:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

PhilHornby wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:37 am It seems to be the case, that without the option ticked, the sensors are turned off once 'high' speed is reached and do not automatically re-engage at low speed :? .
That’s interesting since I have never checked to see if mine have remained on - I think they are on but I don’t want to find out the hard way.

Thanks for raising the issue.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Berty

Post by Berty »

For my own 2023 Tucson there is a button both on the centre conole with a P and an orange light AND this setting, from the OP. My sensors pick up movements frequently not just in slow moving traffic but also when stopped if the engine is running and the car is in D or R. I know this because often the missus is walking near the car, most often when I drop her to work and she walks in front of the car, the sensors lose their mind.

I've had pedestrians and cyclists etc impact on the sensors, and for me both that settings in the picture was always on from delivery of the car and the P button is always on.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

From the manual (granted it's not the UK manual, since I don't have a PDF version of that) :-

PDW.jpg

It just doesn't say what the object of the exercise is :?

I can see a reason for them to be manually disabled, on occasion. I can also make an argument for them to be temporarily and automatically disabled at speed (the 'self-parking' Ford Mondeo used to detect Mercedes in adjacent lanes, on the motorway :) ).

I just can't see why you'd want them to work once and then automatically disable themselves :shock:

It would make a lot more sense for the logic to be reversed - so that if you've had to manually disable them, they automatically re-enable themselves after a drive cycle. No more unexpected near misses with low walls ;)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

I wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:40 pm It would make a lot more sense for the logic to be reversed - so that if you've had to manually disable them, they automatically re-enable themselves after a drive cycle. No more unexpected near misses with low walls ;)
I wonder...

Maybe it does do that :?: The manual doesn't appear to say so, but the menu option implies it...
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

I wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:40 pm I wonder...

Maybe it does do that :?: The manual doesn't appear to say so, but the menu option implies it...
Right, I tested it.

Auto PDW enabled => The Parking sensors are automatically re-enabled, the next time you come to a stop (or some very low speed). Very useful if you've had to manually disable them earlier.

However ...

Auto PDW disabled => Does the exact opposite :roll: Far from being disabled and leaving the sensors alone, it enters a different automatic mode and reverses the logic to make sure they turn OFF, should you have had the temerity to turn them ON :shock:

Crazy.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post