Potential issues with Tucson 2023

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Lesd

Post by Lesd »

Hi all

I have posted before (once) and I am currently still awaiting the delivery of my 2023 Premium spec HEV Tucson. Reading topics and answers on this forum has led me to question a few things and I was wondering what you guys think:

1. Headlights - my concern is that they seem set rather low compared to other cars. Does this impact on the spread and distance that they project when driving in the dark? Is this significantly different to other cars with LED lights (I currently drive a 2017 BMW X1) or comparable with others?

2. No fog lights (other than 1 on the rear). is this important or does the fact that the headlights are set lower counteract the fact that actual fog lights are not provided?

3. In view of headlights being set in the car lower, are they more prone to damage form stones etc?

4. There is a thread on this site regarding noises made when going uphill. Is that always the case and is it significant? (Never had a Hybrid before so not sure what to expect re noises etc that may be different to a petrol car i.e. my BMW X1)

5. Another thread refers to ingress of water around the door sills. The dealerships I have called have all said that they are not aware of issues and therefore it cannot be that problematic!

6. Hyundai themselves are terrible when it comes to asking them questions. They simply keep saying 'speak to the dealer'. Does not instill any confidence, BMW have always been very helpful from their customer service line.

I now question as to whether I have made the right choice of car. There are good reviews of the Tucson online so have I made the right choice?

I look forward to getting your thoughts.

Thanks
Les Dunster
Tucson Hybrid 230hp, Premium spec

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

You have made a good choice.

Headlights - I have seen better, but they work fine. And so far, no stone chips.
I've not noticed the lack of foglights at the front. But then we don't get that much fog in the UK any more.
The uphill noise is just at low speeds going up a steep hill. Not something to worry about - it's just the characteristics of the engine.
Water ingress. It was on one door on mine to start with. But water never got in - just sat on the sill till the door opened and then went out (not in). And it went away - I assume as the rubbers bedded in and the doors sealed better.
MY dealer seems OK.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Lesd

Post by Lesd »

Thanks for that Alan, much appreciated. Based upon my research I thought my choice was sound but then read these few threads on here that made me question myself. I had a one time tossed up between the Tucson and the Sportage but the Tucson came out on top in view of Hyundai £1500 contribution and £199 3 year servicing deal.

Glad to know the lights are not an issue, always happy with the LED lights on the BMW and hope that these are as good.

Les
Philr

Post by Philr »

You should note that the headlights are not self levelling there is a good old fashioned rotary switch to change the height manually.
Dealers seem to be a bit hit and miss. The one we bought from, which is the closest to us, is firmly in the chocolate teapot camp. So much so that for it's first service the car will be going to one that is twice as far away but comes recommended.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

Lights are fine. In fact I find them very good. So much so that when I put the high beam on I find it doesn't make that much difference really.

Never had the water ingress issue on mine.

As has been said the higher pitch noise from the change down of gear can be a little annoying. And I sometimes find this to be the case on the flat as well. It can hold onto a lower gear to long. But as said it's the characteristic of the car. Once you get used to it and find away to over come it then it's great.

Over all I think it's a great car and you won't regret your choice👍😁
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey
Garyc

Post by Garyc »

We got our hybrid early March and it’s spot on but the noise you mentioned going up hill is our only down side of the car. It really sounds like it’s screaming going up hill to a point it’s a bit embarrassing if any one is walking down the road as it needs to be going up the gears. I use the paddle shift but goes back after a few seconds. Yesterday think it was in 3rd gear going up hill and if it had been manual I would of tryed 4th but no it dropped its self down to 2nd. Unlucky for us we live in a hilly area but really like the manual we had before much better. But this is 2nd Tucson in 3 years and they are a great car
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

Lesd
I certainly recommend that you stick with your choice. The Tucson is undoubtedly an excellent car and I believe it is arguably the best HEV SUV for its size and price. There are some issues/niggles covered at length in the forum but there is a danger in my view that they become over-emphasised to the detriment of the many excellent features. It is human nature to highlight and share real and potential problems on a car owners’ forum and we all appreciate the many helpful points that have been made. But there is no perfect car out there and I suspect the vast majority of new Tucson owners are pretty happy with their choice. I have found the visibility from the headlights first rate and probably close to the best I have ever experienced (that includes an X1). The 230 has impressive acceleration when you need it but the engine does show signs of strain when in a low gear going uphill; however, I believe if you can adjust your driving style to suit the characteristics of the hybrid then you will get the best from it. Clearly the Hyundai dealership experience is variable but I have been well served so far.
So overall, I am very happy with my Tucson ( my second new Mk 4 by the way!), always look forward to getting in the car, playing with the tech and enjoying the magnificent ride.
Lesd

Post by Lesd »

Hi guys

Thank you all so much for your input and thoughts. I think ‘Wychwood’ is right insofar as cars are mechanical items that have the potential for having problems and it is human nature to over emphasis those that cause actual issues.

The noise issue is something I may not think too much of, time will tell I suppose. Perhaps I can go and test drive the car again and take it up a steep hill to see what happens, if it is an inherent anomaly with the car itself. However, perhaps it only happens with some and not all?
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Lesd wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:27 pm
4. There is a thread on this site regarding noises made when going uphill. Is that always the case and is it significant? (Never had a Hybrid before so not sure what to expect re noises etc that may be different to a petrol car)

Apart from the weird VESS effects (that you can't turn off on the Tucson), the only unusual noise I've heard, is when the petrol engine is started. You can't hear it inside the car so much, but outside, it sounds like something has just broken!. But I guess that's what happens when you use a 270V, 17HP motor to start the engine in 0.3 seconds. It's definitely not a conventional 'cranking' sound.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Lesd

Post by Lesd »

Well, got a call today from the dealership to say my car is arriving with them on Friday this week and I can pick it up on the following Friday, after PDI checks etc.

Unfortunately the employee at the dealership was rather offish with me. Don’t know why, perhaps a bad day, but at the end of the day I am the customer and I don’t need to be spoken to the way they spoke to me. Have made my feelings known however. Just hope this is not a sign of things to come.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post