2021 MHEV vs 2022 Petrol

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
bhutchison

Post by bhutchison »

old man wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:30 am I'm unclear as to whether you're talking about two different generations of Tucson i.e. the current model and the previous model, or whether you mean two cars of the current generation with different powertrains.
The water is muddied because the current generation was released here at the end of 2021, so the 2021 car you are asking about could be of either generation.

I have no experience of Hyundai MHEVs, but I do have experience of VAG MHEVs. My wife had a MK8 Golf MHEV and I had a standard petrol Skoda Kamiq. Both cars had the same engine, but depite claims that MHEVs are more economical and have better acceleration, we both achieved similar mpg figures and my non MHEV had a slightly quicker 0-60 time.
The mpg you achieve will be much more down to how you drive a car, rather than what paper figures tell you. Don't forget that any car that has an extra battery weighs more than a standard petrol and therefore mpg and acceleration figures will suffer as a result.
In my opinion, based on your annual mileage and unless you're on a very tight budget, I wouldn't let paper mpg figures influence your decision in this case.
You haven't mentioned what type of gearboxes both cars have, but if they are different, that could swing your decision.
In the latest generation Tucson, the MHEV has an extra 30bhp over the standard petrol. Whether that bothers you, only you can say.
Again, with the latest generation Tucson, there have been quite a lot of reported cases of blocked GPFs (Gasoline Particulate Filter - much like DPFs in diesel cars) and although Hyundai tell owners that driving the car in a particular manner for a short time will unblock the filter and extinguish the warning light, in reality most cars have had to visit a dealer for a forced regeration. - some more than once. This phenomena has mostly affected petrol only cars, but I believe it has affected MHEV versions as well and maybe even a HEV. Hyundai have now formulated a software update to cure this problem, but whether it works or not is as yet unreported. This update is not a recall and affected cars will only have the update applied if an owner has had the problem and taken it to dealer.

I think I'd go with the car that you like the look of, suits your budget and drives the best. I'd also be asking myself why the newer car is for sale with only 6000 miles on the clock. Does it have problems, was it a demo, previous owner didn't like it etc etc ?

P.S. Whilst a MHEV might assist acceleration and on some cars the engine will cut out whilst coasting, they do not drive the vehicle on electric power alone.
Yeah sorry I didn't make it very clear in hindsight. Im talking about the 71 plate which has the same look as the current 2022/23 model.

The gearboxes are both manual.

Thanks for your help.

old man

Post by old man »

Let us know how you get on, feedback is a good thing.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Garyc

Post by Garyc »

We have had 21 reg petrol now got the hybrid 23 reg but must admit I find the automatic hybrid a poor drive thought the manual was far better. It just doesn’t chance up the gears when expected and going up hills is terrible must use more fuel I would think May be I’m just not getting the correct way to drive an automatic but don’t no how else to drive it
AlexTUK

Post by AlexTUK »

I've got a 23 plate Tucson Ultimate petrol (non hybrid). Only 600 miles in but I'm only getting 26.4 which is not great but hoping (praying) it improves.
italianjob1970

Post by italianjob1970 »

AlexTUK wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:16 pm I've got a 23 plate Tucson Ultimate petrol (non hybrid). Only 600 miles in but I'm only getting 26.4 which is not great but hoping (praying) it improves.
I'm only 150 miles in and on 37MPG average. I expect this will only get better with time.
23 Tucson 230 HEV
daibill

Post by daibill »

Test drove a MHEV and a manual Petrol and I didn't notice the difference apart from a badge.. certainly not worth the cost difference or weight penalty for a battery. 11k miles on a manual petrol. Manual box is smooth and precise with a light clutch and is also good in the snow. 42-46 on a run, 32ish local, average 37mpg which for a car of such size I'm ok with..
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post