2021 MHEV vs 2022 Petrol

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
bhutchison

Post by bhutchison »

Hello im looking to get a Hyundai Tucson and I'm in the UK.

This will be our first family car and we typically don't have very much mileage per year as I work from home and my partner only travels around 10 miles through the city. We do however on weekends often drive around 40 miles (motorway).

Our annual mileage is probably around 7k

I have been looking at used models and I am curious what the main differences are between the 2022 and 2021 models as I have found it quite hard to find this information online.

I can get a used Petrol Premium Trim 2022 for £27,500 6k miles

Or a MHEV Premium 2021 (newer verison with similar look to the 2022/23) 15k miles for £25,400

I have heard mixed reviews on the fuel economy in general but that the petrol version is noticeably worse than the MHEV which makes me think we should probably lean more towards a MHEV 2021 model.

We are going to view and test drive the Petrol Premium Trim 2022 for 27,5k this weekend.

1) What would you recommend based on the above scenario and mileage we will typically do. Is the MHEV older model worth it over the Petrol 2022?
2) Is there much of a difference between the 2022/2021 models (ignoring the fuel type)

Thank you.

PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

bhutchison wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm Our annual mileage is probably around 7k

I have heard mixed reviews on the fuel economy in general but that the petrol version is noticeably worse than the MHEV which makes me think we should probably lean more towards a MHEV 2021 model.

That's a relatively low annual mileage, so will tend to reduce the effect of any differences in fuel economy. For example, the difference between (say) 30mpg and 40mpg would equate to 58 gallons of petrol per year - about £385. You may, or may not consider that significant.
bhutchison wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm I have been looking at used models and I am curious what the main differences are between the 2022 and 2021 models as I have found it quite hard to find this information online.

The "Wayback Machine" can help ...

This is Hyundai's (Tucson) Web site, as at 08/01/21: https://web.archive.org/web/20210108125 ... ars/tucson

(The previous model is at: https://web.archive.org/web/20201124150 ... ars/tucson)

These can be *very* slow to load - so give it a minute!

(There are lots of other 'captures' of the Hyundai web site available, so you can have an explore!)
bhutchison wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm 1) What would you recommend based on the above scenario and mileage we will typically do. Is the MHEV older model worth it over the Petrol 2022?

One thing I noticed from going through those old 'brochures', is that all the 48V MHEV's seem to have used the 7-speed DCT (dual clutch) gearbox. I can't understand how you'd reap the potential benefits of a DCT in family SUV - but I can see plenty of pitfalls with them...
Personally, I'd decided to avoid such things, but the water's are muddied somewhat with a Hybrid. (I don't know if a MHEV can do the full-Hybrid trick of using the electric motor alone, when setting off ...).

EDIT 22/4/23 - Correct typo.
Last edited by PhilHornby on Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
old man

Post by old man »

I'm unclear as to whether you're talking about two different generations of Tucson i.e. the current model and the previous model, or whether you mean two cars of the current generation with different powertrains.
The water is muddied because the current generation was released here at the end of 2021, so the 2021 car you are asking about could be of either generation.

I have no experience of Hyundai MHEVs, but I do have experience of VAG MHEVs. My wife had a MK8 Golf MHEV and I had a standard petrol Skoda Kamiq. Both cars had the same engine, but depite claims that MHEVs are more economical and have better acceleration, we both achieved similar mpg figures and my non MHEV had a slightly quicker 0-60 time.
The mpg you achieve will be much more down to how you drive a car, rather than what paper figures tell you. Don't forget that any car that has an extra battery weighs more than a standard petrol and therefore mpg and acceleration figures will suffer as a result.
In my opinion, based on your annual mileage and unless you're on a very tight budget, I wouldn't let paper mpg figures influence your decision in this case.
You haven't mentioned what type of gearboxes both cars have, but if they are different, that could swing your decision.
In the latest generation Tucson, the MHEV has an extra 30bhp over the standard petrol. Whether that bothers you, only you can say.
Again, with the latest generation Tucson, there have been quite a lot of reported cases of blocked GPFs (Gasoline Particulate Filter - much like DPFs in diesel cars) and although Hyundai tell owners that driving the car in a particular manner for a short time will unblock the filter and extinguish the warning light, in reality most cars have had to visit a dealer for a forced regeration. - some more than once. This phenomena has mostly affected petrol only cars, but I believe it has affected MHEV versions as well and maybe even a HEV. Hyundai have now formulated a software update to cure this problem, but whether it works or not is as yet unreported. This update is not a recall and affected cars will only have the update applied if an owner has had the problem and taken it to dealer.

I think I'd go with the car that you like the look of, suits your budget and drives the best. I'd also be asking myself why the newer car is for sale with only 6000 miles on the clock. Does it have problems, was it a demo, previous owner didn't like it etc etc ?

P.S. Whilst a MHEV might assist acceleration and on some cars the engine will cut out whilst coasting, they do not drive the vehicle on electric power alone.
Last edited by old man on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
XADE

Post by XADE »

I worked out there's about 10-15% difference in fuel economy (this could sway depending on where you live/drive etc) between petrol and mild hybrid, which for my lowish mileage (7k) just wasn't worth the extra money. I went for the Ultimate instead, over what would have been a premium hybrid.

I sit between 35-40mpg most of the time, mixed motorway and local driving. It's nothing on my old diesel car, but I absolutely love the car so I don't really mind.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

bhutchison wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm Hello im looking to get a Hyundai Tucson and I'm in the UK.

This will be our first family car and we typically don't have very much mileage per year as I work from home and my partner only travels around 10 miles through the city. We do however on weekends often drive around 40 miles (motorway).

Our annual mileage is probably around 7k

I have been looking at used models and I am curious what the main differences are between the 2022 and 2021 models as I have found it quite hard to find this information online.

I can get a used Petrol Premium Trim 2022 for £27,500 6k miles

Or a MHEV Premium 2021 (newer verison with similar look to the 2022/23) 15k miles for £25,400

We are going to view and test drive the Petrol Premium Trim 2022 for 27,5k this weekend.

1) What would you recommend based on the above scenario and mileage we will typically do. Is the MHEV older model worth it over the Petrol 2022?
2) Is there much of a difference between the 2022/2021 models (ignoring the fuel type)

Thank you.
When I look at the 2021 spec list for the newer NX4 Tucson, I can see there are two MHEV versions. One is a manual gearbox with 150ps and the other is 180ps and is also 4WD plus an auto (dual clutch transmission). If its the 4WD version version there is a not inconsiderable 120kg weight penalty. The official mpg figures are only a few mpg apart for the MHEV and Petrol only versions. As others have said, it will be down to which you like the best albeit both are Premium Trim cars so features will be the same. It will be down to which car you prefer to drive. As stated by others the MHEV models don't have electric motors powering the drive train so the batteries are for systems assistance only. If your were considering carrying a spare wheel, I know it's not on everyone priority list, but the MHEV has the batteries in the boot so I would check if its even possible to fit one.

Check both have been serviced correctly as if not then the 5 year warranty may not stand if you were to have a problem.

If both cars are the NX4 version then there are no 'obvious' changes between 2021-2023 model year cars. I recall reading some higher model spec safety kit being filtered down to other models during 2022. The NX4 is due a facelift in 2024 so any major changes will be rolled out with that car.

If it was me, GPF potential issue aside cos it's not clear if the MHEV is also affected, I'd got for the newer, lower mileage Petrol only variant and try and bargain hard. The extra weight due to batteries and 4WD of the MHEV plus the higher mileage would point me toward the petrol only version.
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Also be aware that if you choose a MHEV with manual transmission, it is a so-called i-MT (Intelligent Manual Transmission). There is no clutch pedal; a computer works the clutch for you. I'm not sure if that allows no-lift shifting but I imagine it's and odd thing to get used to.
Deleted User 1130

Post by Deleted User 1130 »

jarvis wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:14 pm Also be aware that if you choose a MHEV with manual transmission, it is a so-called i-MT (Intelligent Manual Transmission). There is no clutch pedal; a computer works the clutch for you. I'm not sure if that allows no-lift shifting but I imagine it's and odd thing to get used to.
Are you sure about that? Back when the car was released in 2021 I read that the clutch was a kinda fly by wire so no physical connection between the physical pedal and clutch. My sons 2022 Hyundai i20 is touted as having an 'imt' transmission but that has a clutch pedal.
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

I also read (in WhatCar, no less) that the full hybrid had a DCT. Got that wrong didn't they!

I don't doubt that the i-MT might have gone through different iterations but if you search for it online in conjunction with Hyundai it describes a car with only 2 pedals.
bhutchison

Post by bhutchison »

XADE wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:51 am I worked out there's about 10-15% difference in fuel economy (this could sway depending on where you live/drive etc) between petrol and mild hybrid, which for my lowish mileage (7k) just wasn't worth the extra money. I went for the Ultimate instead, over what would have been a premium hybrid.

I sit between 35-40mpg most of the time, mixed motorway and local driving. It's nothing on my old diesel car, but I absolutely love the car so I don't really mind.

Thanks that puts it into perspective for me. 35-40 is very good id be happy with that.
bhutchison

Post by bhutchison »

PhilHornby wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:12 am
bhutchison wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm Our annual mileage is probably around 7k

That's a relatively low annual mileage, so will tend to reduce the effect of any differences in fuel economy. For example, the difference between (say) 30mpg and 40mpg would equate to 58 gallons or petrol per year - about £385. You may, or may not consider that significant.
bhutchison wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm I have been looking at used models and I am curious what the main differences are between the 2022 and 2021 models as I have found it quite hard to find this information online.

The "Wayback Machine" can help ...

This is Hyundai's (Tucson) Web site, as at 08/01/21: https://web.archive.org/web/20210108125 ... ars/tucson

(The previous model is at: https://web.archive.org/web/20201124150 ... ars/tucson)

These can be *very* slow to load - so give it a minute!

(There are lots of other 'captures' of the Hyundai web site available, so you can have an explore!)
bhutchison wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm 1) What would you recommend based on the above scenario and mileage we will typically do. Is the MHEV older model worth it over the Petrol 2022?

One thing I noticed from going through those old 'brochures', is that all the 48V MHEV's seem to have used the 7-speed DCT (dual clutch) gearbox. I can't understand how you'd reap the potential benefits of a DCT in family SUV - but I can see plenty of pitfalls with them...
Personally, I'd decided to avoid such things, but the water's are muddied somewhat with a Hybrid. (I don't know if a MHEV can do the full-Hybrid trick of using the electric motor alone, when setting off ...).
I never even thought to use the wayback machine thanks for the suggestion.

Its actually the 71 plate version so with the same grill and look as the current 2022/23 model. I incorrectly said 2021.

Thanks for your insight.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post