230 Hybrid battery level

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

While researching the question I posed myself in this thread ("What happens if you remove the Fuel Pump Relay, as a means of immobilising the vehicle?"), I encountered this web page:

https://www.underhoodservice.com/hyundai-kia-hybrid-drivetrain/

The site seems aimed at Repair Technicians, rather than the general public and the author claims to have some technical accreditations. Obviously, I have no idea if the information is actually correct, or if it applies equally to all Hyundai/Kia Hybrids - but it says :-
Andrew Markel wrote:The instrument cluster displays the state of charge as a bar graph with L indicating 30% charge and H indicating 80%. It is not an indication of the Actual HEV Battery. SOC must be viewed with a scan tool that can access the HCU module.

(SOC=State-of-charge)

Having failed miserably in my attempts to physically access the HEV battery ... and without a dedicated Hyundai Scan Tool, it's hard to verify. (My generic Scan Tool can see modules other than the ECU and Transmission, but nothing useful has issued forth so far :( )
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

Gasworx36

Post by Gasworx36 »

Hi I see your having a battery issue causing resetting does it also cause your alarm to go off I also. Have had a couple of warning messages one was of a connection issue and today I noticed a battery level warning. The profile picture I sent to the car is no longer there for my profile.
My Car is a HEV and I presume it’s only referring to the 12v battery for the infotainment and blue link. I do remember that I had left the radio on with the car locked and I’m wondering if this would be what had triggered the problem? Does anyone understand how this battery is being charged once drained? I would have thought the larger battery should keep it topped up regardless and maybe its this maintaining of power thats the problem?
N line S 230 Dark Night Grey
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Gasworx36 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:36 am Does anyone understand how this battery is being charged once drained? I would have thought the larger battery should keep it topped up regardless and maybe it's this maintaining of power that's the problem?
See this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1071

I was quite disappointed to not spot any bursts of power injection during discharge. It seems that the relevant system (Auxiliary Battery Saver+) may have existed on the PHEV at one point, but was removed.

I think the HEV 12V battery may be used purely for backup - and held at ~80% charge...
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post