Android Auto, Google Maps and radio, simultaneously

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
zanuck

Post by zanuck »

I have seen a post asking about using Apple Play, I’ve got a related question, but this time about Android Auto.

I’m taking the car to Spain soon and from previous trips in my previous Nissan car with built in sat nav that the maps were out of date; and I don’t know that new roads will be on the Hyundai maps.

So as a test run, I decided to try out Google Maps on my Android phone on local roads, via Android Auto on the Infotainment system.

The map loaded and displayed on the Infotainment screen ok, but instead of BBC Radio continuing to play in the background as it does when using the Hyundai sat nav, an annoying American podcast started to play – I didn’t even know that I had podcasts on my phone.

I can pause the podcast on the infotainment screen, and I’ve subsequently “hidden” a presumably Google installed Podcast App on the phone – I can’t seem to be allowed to delete it; but I can’t get the BBC Radio Station that I was listening to before I hooked up Google Maps and Android Auto, to play “underneath” the map guidance.

I can either drive along in silence save for Mrs Google telling me when to turn right, or, I can click on “Radio” and listen to BBC without Google Maps and Android Auto.

Is there a way to have both Google Maps/Android Auto and the radio going at the same time?
2022 "72" plate Tucson Ultimate T-GDI HEV Auto 1.6 with Tech Pack

XADE

Post by XADE »

Edited as don't want to give wrong info.

Does DAB Radio Work in Spain?
Receiving UK stations on a DAB radio is not possible in Spain due to the distance being too great for the strength of the signal.
Last edited by XADE on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
old man

Post by old man »

Give the in built sav nav a chance, it worked fine for me in France last year. No harm in having a backup, but I think you're overthinking the situation.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

zanuck wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 pm I have seen a post asking about using Apple Play, I’ve got a related question, but this time about Android Auto.

I’m taking the car to Spain soon and from previous trips in my previous Nissan car with built in sat nav that the maps were out of date; and I don’t know that new roads will be on the Hyundai maps.

So as a test run, I decided to try out Google Maps on my Android phone on local roads, via Android Auto on the Infotainment system.

The map loaded and displayed on the Infotainment screen ok, but instead of BBC Radio continuing to play in the background as it does when using the Hyundai sat nav, an annoying American podcast started to play – I didn’t even know that I had podcasts on my phone.

I can pause the podcast on the infotainment screen, and I’ve subsequently “hidden” a presumably Google installed Podcast App on the phone – I can’t seem to be allowed to delete it; but I can’t get the BBC Radio Station that I was listening to before I hooked up Google Maps and Android Auto, to play “underneath” the map guidance.

I can either drive along in silence save for Mrs Google telling me when to turn right, or, I can click on “Radio” and listen to BBC without Google Maps and Android Auto.

Is there a way to have both Google Maps/Android Auto and the radio going at the same time?
You can have the car radio playing when using android auto. There are a couple of ways but I've set up my steering wheel mode button to go to radio. There is another post somewhere discussing this subject.
XADE

Post by XADE »

IngerzSH wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:22 pm
zanuck wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 pm I have seen a post asking about using Apple Play, I’ve got a related question, but this time about Android Auto.

You can have the car radio playing when using android auto. There are a couple of ways but I've set up my steering wheel mode button to go to radio. There is another post somewhere discussing this subject.
I didn't realise you could, I assume you'd lose audio to AA Gmaps though too.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Yeah, either press the radio shortcut button and then go back through home, phone projection (or star button if you programmed it to be a shortcut to phone projection).

Or, press the Mode button on steering wheel until it goes back to radio - Android Auto should remain on the screen while you switch audio options with the Mode button
zanuck

Post by zanuck »

XADE wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:39 pm Edited as don't want to give wrong info.

Does DAB Radio Work in Spain?
Receiving UK stations on a DAB radio is not possible in Spain due to the distance being too great for the strength of the signal.
Thanks but you misunderstand.
Firstly I don't want to receive UK DAB stations in Spain.
Secondly, Spain doesn't have DAB radio, primarily because of the huge distances between populated areas outside of the major cities - radio is on FM and AM
But thirdly, what I want to be able to do is to use Google Maps through Android Auto and still have the radio playing whilst the maps are in use (never mind which country I am in or if it is DAB or FM.

Thanks for replying though - zanuck
zanuck

Post by zanuck »

old man wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:20 pm Give the in built sav nav a chance, it worked fine for me in France last year. No harm in having a backup, but I think you're overthinking the situation.
I have been to France four times since getting the car in December 22, and the maps worked fine along the northern coast, my actual problem is not being able to have the radio playing at the same time as using Android Auto with the Google Maps. I presume that if I was doing something else with Android Auto, (not sure what that might be as this is the first time I've played with it), that I'd have the same problem.
zanuck

Post by zanuck »

jarvis wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:10 pm Yeah, either press the radio shortcut button and then go back through home, phone projection (or star button if you programmed it to be a shortcut to phone projection).

Or, press the Mode button on steering wheel until it goes back to radio - Android Auto should remain on the screen while you switch audio options with the Mode button
Thanks - I'll give this a try in the morning.
zanuck

Post by zanuck »

IngerzSH wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:22 pm
zanuck wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 pm
I didn't realise you could, I assume you'd lose audio to AA Gmaps though too.
[/quote]

I did search for other posts on the subject, but came up blank.

Jarvis has suggested a solution which I shall try tomorrow mornig.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post