Android Auto, Google Maps and radio, simultaneously

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
EJH

Post by EJH »

The AAWIRELESS unit 'approved' by Auto Express should be with me tomorrow. Looking forward to letting the forum have some feedback.

Screenshot_20230504_164412_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:

WMiller

Post by WMiller »

Berty wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:00 am Possibly is but then again CarlinKit are a major manufacturer and they made Version 4.0 to cover both Android Auto and Car Play and it was cheaper, economies of scale maybe. If I don't get this resolved I will just go back to wired AA, I won't try another route.

From recent reports some people say that the Tucsons only have one terminal on the back of the system for GPS and the Nav is using that terminal which means they cannot allow Android Auto to use it hence why the cars without NAV can use Wireless AA but those with NAV cannot. I cannot see Hyundai being able to software change this in the future so we're stuck with either a Dongle or the wired connection.
This is interesting, but makes me wonder why there is a need for 2 GPS terminals, as I was under the impression that Android Auto would use the phones built-in GPS, regardless of whether it is a wired or wireless connection to the car? It might make sense for cars with AA built in to the car itself (no phone required), but I don't get it for cars with Android Auto running through a phone.
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Ultimate + Tech Pack in Phantom Black.
Berty

Post by Berty »

Think of it this way as well. Try to enter a destination on your Hyundai NAV, plug in your phone and plot a destination in Apple/Android using Google Maps(maybe Wave, don't use it myself) and then go back to your NAV and it is no longer plotting a destination. Mine does that anyway so looks like the unit somehow cannot handle two destinations from different sources.

I can confirm that using that Dongle you can force it to use the GPS from the Dongle instead of the phone but when you tuck the unit away it kind of gets lost with a bad signal, so using the GPS via the phone is more reliable.

For me right now I am sat at my desk about 4 metres from my Tucson which is charging and it IS powering the dongle right now when plugged in which means my Wifi keeps switching from my home Wifi to the Wifi of the dongle. When the car is not charging the dongle powers off after a few mins as normal as the 12v isn't getting a connection. That is a Hyundai problem, not a dongle problem. Seems so that regardless of what Dongle I have the charging of the car will keep it powered until I unplug it meaning being in close proximity to it, at my desk, means I use from mobile data than expected.

For me, although I got the resolution to be better(still writing a little too small on the screen for google maps but useable) the fact on a PHEV when plugged it in keeps it powered on and I cannot move the car or the desk that is another negative for me against ANY dongle purchase.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
Berty

Post by Berty »

Seller(Carlink official store on Aliexpress) didn't respond to my queries after a week. raised dispute at 5pm yesterday with Aliexpress with a video of the fault(glitching screen was what I sent them) and woke up this morning to a full refund. 2nd attempt at buying a dongle, second one refunded. I'll stick with the 25cm right angled cable I have instead.

For those with a PHEV remember that when the car itself is plugged in the USB socket will ALWAYS provide power to the dongle or anything plugged into it so that might be a challenge(if you sit at a desk close to where the car is parked).
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
EJH

Post by EJH »

EJH wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:54 pm The AAWIRELESS unit 'approved' by Auto Express should be with me tomorrow. Looking forward to letting the forum have some feedback.
So far so good with the Android Auto Wireless dongle.
The only issue so far is with my phone.
Samsung S20FE in a plastic protective case gets very warm when on the wireless charger providing the necessary info to the dongle for AA. So much so that it did cut out to protect itself thermally. But out of the case it seems to be fine.
I haven't yet hidden the dongle away until I'm happy all is working well for a month or so.
It's very small, could do with a shorter cable (on its way) and will be easy to hide.
Very quick to connect & with a handy app to monitor & control. I also noted that it seemed to stay on (little blue light), when ignition was turned off & car locked. However when left awhile (and without the ignition key in pocket), it does go to sleep. I'm not sure if this is normal for the cars media usb or not.
Happy so far.
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
XADE

Post by XADE »

How are people getting on with their dongles? No jokes. In particular I was looking at the Carlinkit 4.0 (I notice there's a version 5.0 now too)

I also really need to be able to hide it as it would drive me nuts. No jokes again.

I know Hyundai hinted at the 10" screen wireless being enabled, but I'd like to try it for summer trips, and who knows if that will ever happen anyway.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
italianjob1970

Post by italianjob1970 »

XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:07 pm How are people getting on with their dongles? No jokes. In particular I was looking at the Carlinkit 4.0

I also really need to be able to hide it as it would drive me nuts. No jokes again.

I know Hyundai hinted at the 10" screen wireless being enabled, but I'd like to try it for summer trips, and who knows if that will ever happen anyway.
Been using my MA1 mine since April now and it hasn't missed a beat. I always use/prefer Android Auto features in all the cars I've owned above those that are built in.
23 Tucson 230 HEV
XADE

Post by XADE »

italianjob1970 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:10 pm
XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:07 pm How are people getting on with their dongles? No jokes. In particular I was looking at the Carlinkit 4.0

Been using my MA1 mine since April now and it hasn't missed a beat. I always use/prefer Android Auto features in all the cars I've owned above those that are built in.
That's good to know, from what I just briefly looked into the Carlinkit dongles seem to suffer from a lot of lag. MA1 was another on the list to have a look at.

I'm a big Android fan but I've not really missed AA as yet, it would be much easier to control my music rather than either selecting a playlist on mobile or my Pixel watch in some situations.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
italianjob1970

Post by italianjob1970 »

XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:22 pm
italianjob1970 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:10 pm

That's good to know, from what I just briefly looked into the Carlinkit dongles seem to suffer from a lot of lag. MA1 was another on the list to have a look at.

I'm a big Android fan but I've not really missed AA as yet, it would be much easier to control my music rather than either selecting a playlist on mobile or my Pixel watch in some situations.
I love just being able to jump in the car, start it and then tell Spotify to play whichever music I fancy. The steering wheel voice control is also great for emergency rerouting via Google Maps when in traffic.
23 Tucson 230 HEV
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:07 pm How are people getting on with their dongles? No jokes. In particular I was looking at the Carlinkit 4.0 (I notice there's a version 5.0 now too)

I used to have a Carlinkit 4.0 but returned it within a week as i had some frustrating experiences with it.
But might just have been me,
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post