Steering wheel lock postion 2022 model

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Catblack

Post by Catblack »

Hi has anyone had a problem where you have to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees before the steering lock engages?
My local dealer says this cannot be rectified.
Thanks in advance.

Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

I didn’t know cars still had steering locks? When do you need to engage it?
Catblack

Post by Catblack »

They sure do.
old man

Post by old man »

Catblack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:16 pm Hi has anyone had a problem where you have to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees before the steering lock engages?
My local dealer says this cannot be rectified.
Thanks in advance.
What car have you got ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

Catblack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:05 pmThey sure do.
But isn’t the purpose of the steering lock to be ‘armed’ when the ignition is off. So if someone turns the wheels, either by the steering wheel or attempting to move the wheels themselves, it locks, making impossible to turn the vehicle.

I was just wondering why you would want to be trying to make the steering lock?
Catblack

Post by Catblack »

The idea of a steering lock should be that when you remove the key and then turn the wheel slightly, the steering lock will engage so that if someone tries to steal it, it will only go in the direction
that you left the wheels pointing. So if locked with the wheels not pointing straight, it is very difficult to put on a trailer.
old man

Post by old man »

Catblack wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:47 am The idea of a steering lock should be that when you remove the key and then turn the wheel slightly, the steering lock will engage so that if someone tries to steal it, it will only go in the direction
that you left the wheels pointing. So if locked with the wheels not pointing straight, it is very difficult to put on a trailer.
First of all, apologies, I missed what car you have in the title of the thread.
I've never taken too much notice of the steering wheel lock, except I know it doesn't work in the same way as older cars. I will check later, but I think it locks in whatever position it's in when you turn off the ignition. My steering wheel sometimes give a little jerk when I turn off the ignition which I assume means it's locked and I also assume it's electronic rather than mechanical.
If you're looking for a mechanical detente as in older cars, things have moved on.
old man

Post by old man »

Upon checking, it's pretty much as Mar10 said.
Lock the car and then unlock it again. Do not restart the car, but if you try turning the steering wheel either way, it will lock into place in much the same fashion as in the "Olden Days". So when you park the car, turn the steering wheel to make sure the front wheels are not pointing straight ahead, turn off ignition, then get out and lock the car.
If anyone enters the car and has not turned on the ignition, but tries turning the steering wheel, it will immediately lock into place - try it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post