Query about petrol consumption

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Paulpaul

Post by Paulpaul »

Hello All

We had a Tucson diesel which was great for fuel on a lease . We are looking for the new tucson but all I can find is a petrol or hybrid petrol version.

On reviewing the mpg, some owners have quoted mpg being around 25mpg. Any advice on what you are getting with your new Tucson’s please? Thank you

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

In the UK, Hyundai have dropped the diesel models.

I have a Hybrid one (not the one you plug in) and my overall mpg since I bought the car 4,500 miles ago is 44.9mpg according to the trip computer. I do around 2/3 motorway and 1/3 town work.

The only time I have seem quotes of 25mpg have been on US or Canadian forums when they use US gallons which are less than ours (6 pints, not 8).

Does that help?
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Paulpaul

Post by Paulpaul »

Thats interesting about the US. I ll chevk with the wife where she has seen these quotes.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message.

Shame the diesels have gone.

If we could get 39 to 44 to mpg that would be ok, 35 at a real push.

How are you finding the Tucson hybrid?

Im sorry, I have seen some around but not sure what the difference is seeing your ultimate one to Phev to mhev and so forth

Would yours be a full electric?

We think we would prefer a petrol with some hybrid (I think)

Thanks once again Alan
Philr

Post by Philr »

We've got an HEV which is showing 44.4 after 2,500 miles. Mixed driving..
Just for info PHEV = Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle
HEV = Hybrid Electric Vehicle - so self charging from the petrol engine
MHEV = Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle - self charging but only a small electric motor so typically used for assisting the petrol engine.

Beware the US figures as well because I believe they can have a 2.5l engine as well as other larger engines - 2.0l? whereas in the UK it is only a turbo'd 1.6l
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
daibill

Post by daibill »

I've got the non Electric anything version and am getting around 34 mpg around town 46mpg on a Motorway run. After 2.7k miles I'm averaging 36.9 after I do however have heavy feet and spend most of the time in sport mode!
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
old man

Post by old man »

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/tucson
Scroll down almost to the bottom of this page to see the different models available
There's standard turbo petrol engine, a mild hybrid, which is the standard engine with an additional 48V battery for a little bit of extra assistance, then there's the hybrid (HEV) which has two batteries which are self charging, one which can drive the car for short distances on electric power and the other is a 12V battery which runs several electrical components. Then there's the PHEV which is a plug in hybrid which has an even bigger battery and can drive the car for longer distances on battery power alone. You'll see that there's varying horsepower ratings depending on the chosen model.

If the 25mpg your wife saw was in this country, then I imagine that would be for one of the first two models above and the drivers have heavy right feet.

I have the hybrid (HEV) model with 230 PS, 2WD with auto box. If I'm motorway driving and my speed is towards 80mph then I get around 32mpg. With a lighter right foot, that will increase to around 42mpg, Local driving sees anywhere in the 40's, so you'll see that fuel consumption can vary greatly depending on model chosen and driving style. Don't let trim spec cloud your judgement re mpg as that will make little or no difference.
People with the plug in hybrid (PHEV) report mpg figures in the 50s and 60s, but don't forget you have take into account the cost of electric to charge them up.

As a diesel driver you should be familiar with DPF problems, so be aware that the Tucson has a GPF which is the petrol equivalent. So if you're a short trip, low mileage driver steer clear of the normal petrol models as some of these are getting blocked filters. As far as we know, the hybrid models don't seem to be suffering the same problem, but only time will tell.
Last edited by old man on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Paulpaul wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:11 pm Thats interesting about the US. I ll chevk with the wife where she has seen these quotes.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message.

Shame the diesels have gone.

If we could get 39 to 44 to mpg that would be ok, 35 at a real push.

How are you finding the Tucson hybrid?

Im sorry, I have seen some around but not sure what the difference is seeing your ultimate one to Phev to mhev and so forth

Would yours be a full electric?

We think we would prefer a petrol with some hybrid (I think)

Thanks once again Alan
Paul,

Think about the Hybrid one (not PHEV). It has several advantages if you are doing distances. The battery isn't as heavy, so you aren't carrying all that dead weight and you find that the electric motor cuts in quite a lot on motorways. The tax in the UK is far less as PHEV's are over £40,000 and you pay extra for that (a lot). And then you need to install a home charger(loads of money again) or use the public ones.

If you only go for the petrol one, fuel consumption is worse overall. I did a fair bit of research and the Hybrid one fitted my needs best. The 'Ultimate' is just the top spec - they all have the same engine.

ALan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Paulpaul

Post by Paulpaul »

Ahh great, thank you Alan. Thats good to know aswell thanks

We know what that researching time is like. Can be a right headache but well worth doing, so thank you too
AnnE13

Post by AnnE13 »

Hi, we have the self charging petrol hybrid N line S acquired new at the end if April. So far covered just short of 5500 miles. Mixed driving, average mileage 44-48 MPG. We didn’t buy it to nurse it along as we both like a spirited drive now and again. Delighted with every aspect of this car, a real joy to drive. We moved from a Lexus IS 300h FSport and haven’t regretted it for a moment.
Good luck with your choice.
Paulpaul

Post by Paulpaul »

Thanks Ann
Thats great to hear aswell. Watching loads of video reviews
If could get that mpg, be happy
I dont want to nurse it either 👍

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post