Difference between hybrids /true miles per gallon

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Skeeling

Post by Skeeling »

Hi. Looking to purchase Tucson but totally confused about which type to buy. All I know is that want ultimate range as love a sunroof! Which hybrid should I go for. I don’t think I want 100% electric. Any help with helping me understand mpg and any other info would be greatly appreciated. Looking to buy one under 12 months old. Looked at all different SUV’s but Tucson seems to be looking good choice to me. Thanks ☺️

Matt2725

Post by Matt2725 »

Worth noting that the N Line S in the UK also comes standard with the panoramic glass roof.

Also you can't get a 100% electric version so you have a choice between the PHEV, HEV or MHEV.

I would discount the mild hybrid (MHEV) myself as it's a very small battery which suppliments only. Otherwise you need to figure out if you'll be able to charge at home or not as to which of the other two you go for. The plug-in will give you much better range compared to the self-charging hybrid, but you need to make sure the battery is kept charged otherwise you're lugging around extra weight for nothing. Worth nothing that you can't fast charge the plug-in hybrids so having ready access to a public charger won't be of much use.

So if you can charge at home with relative ease, go a plug-in hybrid. If you can't or don't want to pay for a charger at home, go for the HEV. Also I believe the PHEV has a smaller fuel tank (around 10 litres less) as the larger battery pack takes up some space. You also lose more boot space as you go up the hybrid options.

Personally I bought a N Line S HEV.
old man

Post by old man »

As well as what's already been pointed out, I'd say don't be swayed by a sunroof.
If it was an extra on any model I certainly wouldn't pay to have one. It doesn't open that far, there's enough wind noise and buffeting to make it annoying and if the sun is out you'll get hot and your head will fry.
If you are likely to fit roof bars, Thule and Hyundais own brand won't allow the roof to open without fouling the bars/footpack.
The only good thing about it is the novelty factor when the grandkids see the blind sliding back IMO, and having a glass roof increases the possibility of breakage and leakage.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

If you do mainly short journeys and can charge your PHEV at home, then I would go for that one. True MPG would be very high (as in you might fill it up once every 2-3 months!!).

If (like me) you do long or motorway journeys which take around 50-60% of your mileage, then I would say go for the HEV. My last fill up was 49 mpg and it conststed of 260 miles of motorway driving and 200 miles of townwork.

I hope that helps.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
roadster

Post by roadster »

The sunroof is enjoyable for passengers more than the driver so makes the interior of the car more acceptable to family use. But remember that it can't easily be left open while parked because of the alarm issues. If the choice comes down to HEV or PHEV I suggest looking very carefully at your pattern of use. The PHEV is excellent if your daily use includes regular short trips. You may never need to start the engine on these journeys for most of the year and petrol engines hate short trips. This assumes you can conveniently plug in to your household supply of course. In other cases the "ordinary" hybrid would usually be the best choice. It will return the best petrol consumption and still have enough electrical power for minimising noise and pollution in urban environments and traffic jams. From a purely economic perspective the extra cost of the plug-in is very unlikely to be recovered in fuel savings alone, especially now that electricity prices have risen so dramatically.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

Probably like most cars, but driving in autumn/winter will reduce the overall MPG figure. I picked mine up at the end of January and since the weather (and running in) has improved, the MPG is better. My last trip - Worcestershire <> Chester I saw ~46MPG.

Plus, when the temperature is low, the HEV seems to spend less time using the electric motor.
Last edited by Deleted User 487 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
XADE

Post by XADE »

Love my sunroof, have never had one and so glad I went for the Ultimate for the leather seats, electric tailgate. Upgraded stereo also is very impressive.

I actually chose the Ultimate (non hybrid) over waiting 9-12months for delivery of a HEV and got the car in 3 weeks to my door. It made a lot more sense to me even if I was going to get 15-20% less mpg, over a period of 3-4years I would not make that saving back by purchasing a mild hybrid.

The MPG I am currently getting is around the stated 41-42mpg which I think it pretty good considering I am in the 'break in' stages of using the engine.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

Upgraded stereo also is very impressive.
I’ve not noticed this being particularly great. Not much Bass, and can sound ‘tinny’ at low volume. Maybe I’m biased, as my last car, came with a Hardon/Kardon upgrade, which was brilliant.
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Another consideration with a PHEV is if you are going to use the slow charger or have an EV charge point installed (assuming you don't have one already). If you are having an EV charge point that is an added cost and many properties are on a looped electrical supply which may cause issues when it comes to installation including extra costs. I'm not up to date with the latest prices but a PHEV in Ultimate trim will attract the luxury car tax unless there has been a large price drop. I fall into the category of lots of short trips using EV mode when driving but it's never going to recoup anywhere near the extra money the car cost plus charge point. My first choice wasn't the PHEV but it was the best deal at the time for a car with a short lead time. That said I really like it and don't regret it.
1.6 TGDi Plug-in Hybrid Ultimate 5dr 4WD Dark Knight Grey
XADE

Post by XADE »

richarde wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:37 am
Upgraded stereo also is very impressive.
I’ve not noticed this being particularly great. Not much Bass, and can sound ‘tinny’ at low volume. Maybe I’m biased, as my last car, came with a Hardon/Kardon upgrade, which was brilliant.
It's certainly enough for me, although I heard bad reviews about the Bose system in other countries. I came from the other end of the spectrum on a Nissan Qashqai though :). I have played with the equaliser a little to up the bass and treble too.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post