Another 'how to turn off sounds' thread

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

Why on earth this is standard is beyond me.
I have never left a child in the car in 5 years, I don't think I'll ever forget that.

What's the likelihood this serves a purpose for the 99%? Safety gone mad. It's like saying all lampposts should beep I case I walk into them.
And therein lies the reason that Hyundai (in this case) see fit to legislate against the stupid, the ignorant and those that are too arrogant to think that they will never make a mistake.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

XADE

Post by XADE »

old man wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:20 pm
Why on earth this is standard is beyond me.
I have never left a child in the car in 5 years, I don't think I'll ever forget that.

What's the likelihood this serves a purpose for the 99%? Safety gone mad. It's like saying all lampposts should beep I case I walk into them.
And therein lies the reason that Hyundai (in this case) see fit to legislate against the stupid, the ignorant and those that are too arrogant to think that they will never make a mistake.
I am not sure if it's Hyundai or the safety legislations around cars these days to be honest. Different opinions, but I trust myself to not need a few of these warnings, and by ignoring them which most drivers will now do anyway doesn't really help improve these so called 'problems' with safety.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
old man

Post by old man »

but I trust myself to not need a few of these warnings
You're missing the point somewhat. A conglomerate like Hyundai/Kia doesn't give a personal fig about whether an unknowns child or dog get's left to fry on the back seat or hit on the head by a rear hatch closing.
What they do care about is getting sued by an unknown who let their child/dog get fried on the back seat and claim that there was no warning in place to alert them to the fact they'd forgotten their child/dog. So by fitting a warning chime to warn of danger, they can claim they did their part and it's not their fault that the car owner ignored it.

And yes, all of these warning chimes can be annoying and the more there are, the more likely some will be ignored or turned off, but the manufacturers won't stop fitting them as they're covering their backsides.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
XADE

Post by XADE »

old man wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:46 am
but I trust myself to not need a few of these warnings
You're missing the point somewhat. A conglomerate like Hyundai/Kia doesn't give a personal fig about whether an unknowns child or dog get's left to fry on the back seat or hit on the head by a rear hatch closing.
What they do care about is getting sued by an unknown who let their child/dog get fried on the back seat and claim that there was no warning in place to alert them to the fact they'd forgotten their child/dog. So by fitting a warning chime to warn of danger, they can claim they did their part and it's not their fault that the car owner ignored it.

And yes, all of these warning chimes can be annoying and the more there are, the more likely some will be ignored or turned off, but the manufacturers won't stop fitting them as they're covering their backsides.
I'm not missing the point whatsoever, I can still feel aggrieved at Hyundai using these alerts when I don't feel they are necessary to me, that's part of car choice, and future updates will take into consideration a balanced view of safety and practical usability. Hence why some safety features can be disabled (like steering assist), and some as you say are kept on to cover Hyundai's back. not mine.
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

We all know this car loves to bing and bong a lot. It's almost become a game on journeys with the kids in the back, where they always ask 'What was that one for, Dad?" when it tells me the washer fluid is low or there's a 'collision alert' because I'm passing a parked van at 15mph with about 10 feet of space to spare.

But I find it really odd that, when using the lane follow assist (I always get them mixed up, I mean the one that basically steers for you when on the motorway) and the car loses track of the lane and stops steering, it doesn't bong! The steering wheel icon on the dash just goes white rather than green. I'd actually find an audible warning really useful in this scenario so not sure why it's one scenario they decided not to include one.
TriumphDriverToo

Post by TriumphDriverToo »

Purchased my Tucson Hybrid yesterday- mostly really like it. RE; the beeping back hatch- the beeping is very annoying especially when it has to be parked directly under someone else's Apt..(that's where my assigned spot is) I hope this isn't a gov requirement because waking the neighbors is never a good idea. The Subi Forester I traded in had a special menu to turn off all external beeps.

There should be no beeps when locking or unlocking doors too. Hopefully, with enough requests, Hyundai will do the nice- and correct thing and create a software update will include the ability to turn off the beeps!

Hmmm- is there a way to disable the auto open and close feature that would eliminate the beeps?

At least they are not at the 90 decibel, window OSHA ear protection level of the back up siren! That thing is insanely loud!! Apparently, our federal Gov is not just tone deaf, but deaf and they want those around us to be as well. Incase you're wondering why the siren is so loud- its a Fed Requirement for electric vehicles to generate 56 db 6 feet from the rear of a Hybrid. Hyundai was un-prepared for this design requirement and couldn't figure out how to engineer and power a speaker at the rear of the car. So, the ran a short cable from the battery to the front grill!!! ??? And mounted a speaker that produces greater than 90db! Apparently, 6' from the rear of the car the sound level is 56db.

I suggest we each write NTSA and file complaints regarding the regulation- there is now such 56bd requirement for pure ICE vehicles- and for Hyundai's poor and VERY ANNOYING backup beep.
Hopefully, Hyundai Fed involvement isn't required to give us an OFF BUTTON for the door beeps.
XADE

Post by XADE »

TriumphDriverToo wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:53 am
Hmmm- is there a way to disable the auto open and close feature that would eliminate the beeps?
Yeah look in your settings and/or the manual.

I find the '2' beeps if close enough to the car a bit annoying, but I'm not about to start writing letters about it.
3puddings

Post by 3puddings »

After 6 months I still haven't worked out what all the pings and dings are that keep sounding. It gets a bit annoying!
2023 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Premium 230 BHP

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post