2020 N Line developed very loud clunk

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
helnlegs

Post by helnlegs »

We have a 2020 auto N line Tucson which has developed a VERY loud clunk noise. It happens maybe once or twice a week and it is when pulling away from standstill (so neutral to first) - it is so loud and alarming it is scary! Almost sounds like you are being hit by another vehic;e?

We have taken it to our local dealership where it obvs did not happen and the diagnostics brought no fault up - has anyone else had such an issue please? They will not investigate if they have no idea what to look for.....

old man

Post by old man »

As with any noise, and like your dealer, without witnessing it or you making a recording it's virtually impossible to diagnose.
However, the first thing that springs to mind is that maybe your parking brake pads have rusted to the disc. This often happens after washing the car and then letting it sit on the drive overnight and also in winter when residual water turns to ice.
When you first try to move off and the pads release from the disc, there's usually quite a loud and frightening bang - it's very disconcerting the first time you experience it and every time after as well because you're not expecting it.
My wifes Golf is especially bad for this, so after washing it, I normally take it for a short run to let air flow blow out any remaining water.

If it's not the pads binding on, then it sounds a bit sinister and potentially damaging and I'd be inclined to ask the dealer to keep it for a couple of days in the hope they'll experience it themselves.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
old man

Post by old man »

old man wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:49 am As with any noise, and like your dealer, without witnessing it or you making a recording it's virtually impossible to diagnose.
However, the first thing that springs to mind is that maybe your parking brake pads have rusted to the disc. This often happens after washing the car and then letting it sit on the drive overnight and also in winter when residual water turns to ice.
When you first try to move off and the pads release from the disc, there's usually quite a loud and frightening bang - it's very disconcerting the first time you experience it and every time after as well because you're not expecting it.
My wifes Golf is especially bad for this, so after washing it, I normally take it for a short run to let air flow blow out any remaining water.

If it's not the pads binding on, then it sounds a bit sinister and potentially damaging and I'd be inclined to ask the dealer to keep it for a couple of days in the hope they'll experience it themselves.
As it does sound like sticky pads it occurs to me to add that moisture may not be the cause. You have an electronic parking brake, so maybe the actuator is sticky and not releasing easily - just a thought.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
focusy

Post by focusy »

we have it on our current car if its the same thing.
id like you to try something for me, find a car park/open space pull car up. then drive forward about 5/10 miles and hour. stop press brakes a bit hard. then put in reverse put a semi lock on the steering wheel and accelerate back, let me know if it does the clonk,
helnlegs

Post by helnlegs »

Sorry did not get notification of these replies so lack of response from me! Focusy - why do you suggest that please?
helnlegs

Post by helnlegs »

FYI it happened again last night - not a cold start, we had been doing 50mph for approx 40 mins. We then stop to give way at a junction and loud clunk as pull away - the mates we picked up both went "oohhh that ain't normal!" ....
focusy

Post by focusy »

I think it’s the brake pad moving in the calliper, We had it on the kodiaq, there a retention metal clip. On top of pad and it needed pushing with a flat head screwdriver, to spread it out, to stop pad moving, something so simple create a massive dong
helnlegs

Post by helnlegs »

Update - I am seriously fed up with this. Now submitted three forms to local dealership (everytime it has happened since being in there) - which they supposedly submit to technical. No response. This morning at the front of the red traffic light queue the car completely died. Very awkward. Started again after a few seconds. I am now trying to escalate with Hyundai but so far the experience with them is hideous IMHO. Anyone that can offer any insight into this would be very much appreciated. I feel we are banging our heads against a brick wall.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post